TW200 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
One of the really bad things about E10 deals with 2-stroke motors. As you said, a little gas will pull the alcohol out of the fuel and it's heavier than gas, so it will settle to the bottom. If this happens with a 2-stroke while sitting for a while, then the next time the bike is fired up, a big old slug of alcohol without any 2-stroke oil, will feed the engine and is likely to seize it!!
:unsure: Regarding 2- stroke motors , at present I don’t have any 2-stroke bikes but do have plenty machines for cutting garden ( yard) shrubs etc , that’s why I pay premium money for quality fully synthetic 2- stroke oil for all these reasons , it would be stupid to only buy the cheapest 2- stroke oil in my opinion

·
Registered
821 Posts
I was going to suggest that I’ve found them wee wee pilots get coated with corrosion
Look goodbut.... durned ethanol anyway. Only of many reasons I dumped my TWs and went Van Van One thing that will really affect your idle is the condition of the o ring on the pilot screw. It’s a vacuum leak eh? I swapped out all the o rings in one TW with mo better ones and that was cool. Kinda pain in arse though. TTried upgrading to newer design carb in hopes of better rubber. Yes. But a PIA to fine tune. Round here one can still purchase no etoh fuel at boat docks. Good luck.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
821 Posts
Oh yeah. Best way out of rusty fuel tanks is to go plastic.

Reactions: Stufidmotard

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's my strong opinion that Ski Pro 3; AKA pit bull, has earned the Golden Carb Award, which is rarely issued.
Please be aware that most of the carb is silver, and because of this, the image requires some imagination to interpret.
View attachment 207072
Reminds me of the original cult movie Vanishing Point.

Marty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditto on the fuel filter and also....why do you run the carb-bowl empty? I suspect that may be part of the problem...using regular fuel (with ethanol) and running "it until it stalls" doesn't remove ALL of the fuel, and that is where the problems begin. The slightest bit of e-gas left behind, will evaporate and leave all sorts of clinkers behind. There are enough stories of the evils of ethanol...I had the carb on my outboard plug up after a few seasons of using E-fuel.
I still use it if I'm going to be at a lake for a few days...but the last gasoline it sees before the next layup, is a tankful of E-FREE...for the last day or so....flush all that ethanol crap out of its system!

Maybe add a bit of seafoam to each tank...a good preventive measure...but getting rid of ethanol fuel would help immensely.
TW in BC you answered all his problems in other words he is producing his problems NO ethanol if your carb doesn't drip fuel don't shut the petcock off and use your choke remember these bikes were designed in 1985 and haven't changed except they started with a flat slide carb then quickly went to a oval carb the other changes were the kickstarter and disc brakes in front other than that you have a cold natured old engine that was one of the most dependable motorcycle ever made. I let mine sit for a month or more sometimes I go out look at the oil level check the air pressure in the tires pull the choke turn the key and touch the starter button for just a second and she is ready.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had a similar problem as Ski Pro 3 with a brand new 2014 TW200. It ran fine for the first couple of years, although I didn’t ride it much. After I ignored it for several months or so and then tried to start it, it would only start and run with full choke. I’d let it idle till it was very warm, but that made no difference. Since the dealer had twisted my arm to buy an extended warranty, I dropped it off for them to fix. They were reluctant (at this point they had my money). They eventually told me I was getting a new carb since they found mine had a broken part rolling around in it. So it ran fine for several months before another long period of no activity. Exactly the same symptoms. Took it back to dealer (extended warranty still in effect), but this time they charged me $300 to ‘fix’ it. Said it was my fault. So they had filled it with E0 and I continued using the no-ethanol gas. After sitting several months it showed the same problem as before.

So since I like riding more than fixing, I bought a new carb for $42 on Amazon a year ago.
Radracing TW200 Carburetor Carb Replacement kit Compatible 2001-2017 Trailway Replace TK250 TW 200
It fit perfectly and was easy to install. The bike ran great and is still running great. I just use gas station gas, keep the bike outside with a cover and a BatteryMinder. I hadn’t ridden the bike since last fall, after a record snowfall winter. Yesterday I fired it up and rode to the gas station to fill up. No problem running. Today I rode 85 miles in the foothills west of Boulder at altitudes from 5280’ to over 8000’ without problems except that that the idle speed is pretty low and mixture a bit rich. (I haven’t touched the out-of-the-box carb except to set mixture screw same number of turns as original).

So for me just replacing that OEM carb worked great. Unfortunately the Radracing carb above says ‘unavailable’ today on Amazon. There are several other carbs on Amazon that claim to be exact replacements.

Here’s wishing you a quick resolution to your problem!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Fuel injection is the answer to all fuel related problems? I haven't seen this to be true. My Dad has a fuel injected bike, a Suzuki 250 street bike and every time it sits for a bit the fuel injector clogs. This has happened several times and he puts Seafoam in the fuel for a stabilizer. Ethanol is nearly everywhere but just because you get fuel injection doesn't mean you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
629 Posts
A lot of people in this thread keep pointing to ethanol fuel for the problem, but it seems the problem is really the pilot jet clogging. ...Now, if this bike was sitting for a while without use, that might be the case - but it's not. The red tint of that fuel is the tell-all here. Ethanol fuel is problematic, but people run it all the time in these bkes with success. It just requires more care to keep it running.

If this was my bike, I'd either buy a new tank or figure out how to successfully remove the coating in the old tank, if replacing the pilot jet with one with a larger orifice didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Definitely buy a new tank or clean the hell out of it over and over again. Not a carb problem.
I think it was the Dragon's Blood coating that dissolved and eventually varnished up the pilot.

BUT

This carb has the smallest pilot jet I've ever seen on any motorcycle. Nothing comes close to how tiny the orifice on the pilot jet is.

Now that I'm convinced, repair is easy. However, it will always have this problem. Filter quality is paramount to prevent problems. Fresh fuel as well. Absolute no water anywhere near that tank or the ethanol will separate out and cause problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
I run with 87 Octane E5, or with 99 Octane E5 – not much in-between here – the TW’s don’t seem to care which

But when at the start or the end of the “season”, I dose that fuel with Reddex carb cleaner (strong stuff)

It goes like this – final fill of the year, to the brim with clean fuel, dosed with Reddex. Petcock off, run them dry. Unheated garage at about 2 degrees C, no battery tender. Comes the Summer, on goes the petcock, the already dosed fuel from last year takes care of any residual problems, press the button and we’re away

There is a slight difference between the TW200 and the TW225, in that there is a bit of a stutter on the 2007 TW225 (CV carb), which goes away in a few minutes as the old (dosed) fuel gets to work – after that, we’re good. The TW200 (’98) runs fine straight out of the gate

This indicates that the CV carb is more susceptible to “varnish” than the slide carbs, but as the Reddex takes care of it in a matter of minutes, I can live with that. The only reason I don’t leave the float bowls full when parked up, is I have no idea what that Reddex would do to the carbs. Too many fiddly bits in there

Original tank full of dosed fuel goes through, followed by a second dosed tank – then it’s straight fuel until it’s time to put them to bed for the Winter, with the final tank of dosed fuel filled to the brim, petcock off, float bowls run dry again

Been doing this for five years now, never been a problem – the insides of both tanks are pristine, carbs have never been off – no need

The above information is presented to you for comparison purposes only, and I fully accept that what works for me may not work for you – but if you can get it down to E5 you should be OK with Reddex …….

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
Affordable ethanol free gas can be combined with a trip over the Sierras to ride some of the eastern slopes. I saw 95(?) octane ethanol free gas in Gardnerville's Golden Gate gas station next to Walmart for ~$2.99 /gallon last week. Combine a trip into the Sweetwaters, Pine Nuts, Leviathan Range, Mill Canyon, etc with filling up a few cans to take home.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts