TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Motoad.
Scary as hell, heartbreaking, astonishing!
Pray for the firefighters, citizens and wild & domestic animals...
Is that anywhere near you?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Motoad.
Scary as hell, heartbreaking, astonishing!
Pray for the firefighters, citizens and wild & domestic animals...
Is that anywhere near you?
+1... scary stuff. I just heard that the whole town has been evacuated.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I saw on the news tonight. Looked surreal, horrifying if you would have been one of those people driving through that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am in southern BC. That is far north Alberta. Ft. McMurray has been a boom town for quite some time now due to, I think, oil, or maybe mining. the wages are off the wall but apparently so are the living costs. I had heard of welders wages 100+ an hr. Carpenters wages way up there too. A ton of work available. I remember reading an ad for carpenters several years back with the final line stating 'Must be able to work in 50C below. Ha ha. No thanks. But my heart goes out to all of them up there.
Had a bit of a scare close to here last summer. DSCN0798 (Medium).JPG That reminds me, time to get my house insurance paid up.

And again with the sideways images. WTF?
Ah, nvr mind. Just read up on it. you can view it correctly if you click on it and open in new window.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I live in Nova Scotia but grew up in a small town in Cape Breton. We have a large "migrant" population from out east that travels to Fort Mac for work .... then back east in the slow times.

I was texting with a good friend who lives out in Fort Mac who was evacuated. He said it was a pretty terrifying experience and the main over pass he used to merge onto the 63 highway was fully ablaze on one side.

Apparently the heat was so intense you could feel it radiated through the cab of his truck as he accelerated down the on ramp. Almost 80,000 people have been evacuated with just the clothes on there back .... he said the center divided on the 63 highway out of town is littered with vehicles that ran out of fuel .... people abandoned them and jumped in with other moving vehicles.

Scary stuff and I am wishing them all the best.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I live in Nova Scotia but grew up in a small town in Cape Breton. We have a large "migrant" population from out east that travels to Fort Mac for work .... then back east in the slow times.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tanker trucks have been dispatched to provide fuel for stranded motorists. The good news is that Syncrude and Suncor have massive clearing areas with muster stations just north of town, so there is an option other than highway 63.

Fort McMurray is the place where most of the crude bitumen is found that travels through the Keystone pipeline to Nebraska, and then Illinois and Oklahoma. Currently, production and labour is down drastically due to the low market price of crude oil. I suspect that some of the people in the Fort McMurray area have already lost almost everything in the last year. This fire a horrible example of adding insult to injury.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sad... On our trip to Alaska 2 years ago we observed all the carnage of the 2015 fire.... Sad.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
17,649 Posts
I am in southern BC. That is far north Alberta. Ft. McMurray has been a boom town for quite some time now due to, I think, oil, or maybe mining. the wages are off the wall but apparently so are the living costs. I had heard of welders wages 100+ an hr. Carpenters wages way up there too. A ton of work available. I remember reading an ad for carpenters several years back with the final line stating 'Must be able to work in 50C below. Ha ha. No thanks. But my heart goes out to all of them up there.
Had a bit of a scare close to here last summer. View attachment 29685 That reminds me, time to get my house insurance paid up.

And again with the sideways images. WTF?
Ah, nvr mind. Just read up on it. you can view it correctly if you click on it and open in new window.

I remember the days when they were building the Alaskan Pipeline up there. Yeah, good money and as many hours as you wanted to work, but, unfortunately most of those tradesman, blew all their hard earned cash on drugs, alcohol and prostitutes who went up there for the easy money. A lot a guys come home broke.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts