TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
The bullet bounced (ricocheted) off an armadillo, but then it went 100 yards, though a fence, a door, a recliner and into his mother-in-law....

That is one tough armadillo!!

The bullet killed the animal, but also ricocheted off of it, hit a fence, went through the back door of his mother-in-law's mobile home, through a recliner she was sitting in, and into her back. According to a report, McElroy was about 100 yards away from the home at the time.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Cheap arse ball ammo. Quality self defense rounds would have been much safer. People should practice more and gain a better understanding of bullet dynamics.

Tom

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
And I thought you were harmless!!!! Maybe Betty was murdered and it was only made to look like an accident. Devious.

Tom

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Dumb laws in a lot of states mandate the use of FMJ ball ammo for concealed carry! I would not want to be down stream here in NY with some yahoo or cop dumping 10 rounds from a 9MM.

The cop charged with murdering the guy fired 8 rounds. 5 hit the target and the other 3 are still flying somewhere. Many states absolutely outlaw the use of defensive rounds and hollow points. DUMB!

GaryL

·
Registered
789 Posts
9mm was developed specifically for short range killing of people. Low power to lessen collateral damage
when used in urban areas. Waste of time for hunting, in my opinion. Always use the right tool for the job.
I've actually had wild pigs walk (well run) away from hits from a 9mm and even .357 magnum. Not happened once I went with
.44 magnum and a long barrel.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
When I go into the bush I pack a 454 casull. It will drop a grizzly so I am sure it will do the job. When in Alaska you are on the menu when you are out for a walk. Sometimes even in town. One fellow heard a twig snap and turned around to see one in full charge. He put his 454 to use and it dropped 12ft past him as it was after the dog. very lucky man to have had it with him. That was in Soldotna on the Kenai peninsula as I understand.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
When I go into the bush I pack a 454 casull. It will drop a grizzly so I am sure it will do the job. When in Alaska you are on the menu when you are out for a walk. Sometimes even in town. One fellow heard a twig snap and turned around to see one in full charge. He put his 454 to use and it dropped 12ft past him as it was after the dog. very lucky man to have had it with him. That was in Soldotna on the Kenai peninsula as I understand.
Yup! I always thought if I took a trip to that area I would be carrying my 870, 12 gauge tactical loaded with 3 inch buck shot. Relying on a good shot from a small but large caliber hand gun when things are seriously puckered is not something I care to do.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
9mm was developed specifically for short range killing of people. Low power to lessen collateral damage
when used in urban areas. Waste of time for hunting, in my opinion. Always use the right tool for the job.
I've actually had wild pigs walk (well run) away from hits from a 9mm and even .357 magnum. Not happened once I went with
.44 magnum and a long barrel.
All true enough I suppose. I also hunt with a .44 and would not consider shooting big game with a 9mm. However when it comes to personal defense the 9mm has many naysayers and very few of the reasons given hold any water. In test after test the 9mm out penetrates many, if not all, of it's bigger bore competitors. Bullet selection is VERY important in a handgun. Choose wisely as the life you save may be your own.

Tom

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when used in urban areas.
Personally I would not agree with this statement. I really does not comport with the age and development of the caliber. At the time of it's inception, it was not, given the other available choices, considered a low power round. http://cartridgecollectors.org/documents/Introduction-to-9mm-Luger-Cartridges.pdf

All that being said, I didn't start this thread to really debate the 9mm, that's ground plowed too many times. Rather I was thinking of how that original explanation must have went..."Ya see occifer, I was about a hunnert yards from the unit there, and shot me a 'dillo. Whal, I hit that derned rascal, but the bullet bounceded offen of him, hit the fence over there, blew through the door of the unit, went through my favorite Mother in Law's Lazy Boy and hit her in the back. It was just one of them there freak accidents." "Oh, OK son, yeah, I can see how that could happen to anyone." :D

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
All true enough I suppose. I also hunt with a .44 and would not consider shooting big game with a 9mm. However when it comes to personal defense the 9mm has many naysayers and very few of the reasons given hold any water. In test after test the 9mm out penetrates many, if not all, of it's bigger bore competitors. Bullet selection is VERY important in a handgun. Choose wisely as the life you save may be your own.

Tom
Agree here that penetration is one aspect of bullet efficiency but that must be coupled with expansion and shock power. FMJ bullets are notorious for just blasting through and keep on going while there are many other, often illegal, bullets that are much better for use in defense situations. I will always take my 12 gauge as my go to gun.

I hear you Borneo on the story and it was a good one. Funny thing is I have had 3 mother in laws over my life and loved them all, 2 better than the wife's! Mothers are usually pretty well aware of who and how their daughters are.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Agree here that penetration is one aspect of bullet efficiency but that must be coupled with expansion and shock power. FMJ bullets are notorious for just blasting through and keep on going while there are many other, often illegal, bullets that are much better for use in defense situations. I will always take my 12 gauge as my go to gun.

I hear you Borneo on the story and it was a good one. Funny thing is I have had 3 mother in laws over my life and loved them all, 2 better than the wife's! Mothers are usually pretty well aware of who and how their daughters are.

GaryL
Now if I could only find an inside the waistband holster for my 870.:rolleyes:

Tom

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Now if I could only find an inside the waistband holster for my 870.:rolleyes:

Tom
One would need an extra large belt and pants to carry any of the 454 Casulls I have seen inside the waist band! I owned a .475 Wildy Magnum with 12" barrel for quite a while and lugging that thing around was a chore as well. Mother in law would be fine but not so good for the armadillo with that thing, it would have dusted him and anything else behind him.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Personally I would not agree with this statement. I really does not comport with the age and development of the caliber. At the time of it's inception, it was not, given the other available choices, considered a low power round. http://cartridgecollectors.org/documents/Introduction-to-9mm-Luger-Cartridges.pdf

All that being said, I didn't start this thread to really debate the 9mm, that's ground plowed too many times. Rather I was thinking of how that original explanation must have went..."Ya see occifer, I was about a hunnert yards from the unit there, and shot me a 'dillo. Whal, I hit that derned rascal, but the bullet bounceded offen of him, hit the fence over there, blew through the door of the unit, went through my favorite Mother in Law's Lazy Boy and hit her in the back. It was just one of them there freak accidents." "Oh, OK son, yeah, I can see how that could happen to anyone." :D
This was a Lame attempt at trying to pull a "Jackback" of your jacked thread! Which was the Favorite, Mother in law or the Lazy Boy?:(

GaryL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts