TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
CB500X or CB500F. Just try and find a bad review of either.

Tom

·
Registered
545 Posts
Why choose, get one of each :p

I love the classic look of the SR400 but I bet the CB500F is a fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd go SR because it's a single and it has less electronic magic inside so in the long run it should be easier to work on myself.
A friend just got rushed US$700 from one of the local Honda dealerships on his third service for his NC700X.

Edit: Also, if it's your thing, the SR has been in production for a very long time in Japan so there are lot's of bolt-on custom bits.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have a CB500F. Feel free to ask questions. I love it, but a choice of bike is a pretty personal thing. Your style preference, anticipated usage, etc. are determining factors. I got mine because of the low seat height, entry level pricing, linear power curve, upright seating position and high mpg rating. Although not a perfect bike, if there is such thing, I've used it as an multi-purpose street bike. Commuter, afternoon rides after work, riding among friends with "street" bikes, as well as some longer range touring.

I will always love my tw. I've put a 55 tooth rear sprocket on, so now it is better on the trails for my big butt. It is still a great run to town bike, and perfect as my fire road and off-road mountain scouter. However, if I'm going to cover much distance on asphalt, or hitting the interstate for more than 10 miles, I'm taking the Honda.

I do love that they brought back the SR. The SR500 is still a very sought after vintage. Yes, they have been making the SR400 for a while. That's why I don't understand the price point. They are just trying to take advantage of our nostalgia and love for the vintage bikes. I like the look, and I think it is a fine bike that I would like to own. I just think the Honda is more bike for the money.

I'll be trailering the TW and the CB to Moab to see as much as I can of the area, on and off road.

·
Registered
297 Posts
SR400-saw one in person the other day at the stealership. Awesome, kinda pricey, but nice-for some reason they had'nt hooked up the clutch cable yet, but ya-i'd own one. Just about bought an SR500 a few years back and always regretted not getting it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Do they both have ABS? I have found ABS to be a life saver literally. Not sure I'd have a street unit without
anymore. Other than that, whichever makes your heart flitter.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sr400 does not have ABS. CB500 does.

CB500 without ABS is $500 cheaper, not much more than a KLR New Version.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had to look it up. No ABS and tube tires means the Honda would be a better ride in my opinion.
Tubeless tires are cool. But I'm not into reliving the "good old days". Loved my old SR500 but I was 20
years old then. These days I like to ride not repair. Honda has whole lot more power and less vibes too.
Honda safer IMHO if that makes any diff.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I get he SR, I'll add a windshield. If I get the CB, I'll redo the seat and rear fender to a more classic style similar to the SR. If I get a new KLR, I'll lace up some rims for street tires. All options cost the same. Each has advantages. Any will make me happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmnnn....how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Those three seem an odd trio to cross shop. A retro street single, a modern middleweight twin with retro performance or a KLR with....no performance. What about a DRZ400S?

·
Registered
36 Posts
CB500 by a MILE. That's a fantastic looking modern bike. The SR400 would have to be $3500 for me to even consider it, and I'd still probably pass.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My vote is for the Honda, but mostly just because I prefer that class of bike lol.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts