TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A weekend early this year.

This year we decided to stay on the west side of the state, mainly because of the weather. East side of the state was going to be 90-100 and here on the west side 75-80. Rode with my son Nate and my friend Peter this year.

Here we are loaded up and ready to go.

So off to the mountain Loop Hwy on towards Darrington.

Here is my son Nate. He's having to ride his mom's TW as his was having some troubles. :(

Stop for gas and a snack.

Pic of Whitehorse Mountain.

After picking up some snacks we head off to Whitehorse junction to head over FS 18 Stopping for a lunch break.

Here's Peter

We continued over FS 18 to FS 17 (Finney Creek Rd) on into the town of Concrete to top off gas. On the way we go by this hillside that always amazes me looking at the sediment layers that have been laid over the years. The Skagit River is just accross the road and I'm sure it had something to do with it years ago.

Left Concrete and headed up Burpee Rd to the Baker Lake Rd. Fun little 4 miles of several twistys going up hill.

Made it up to Baker Lake Dam.

We rode up and down the lake trying to find a camp site. (free) everything taken. We did finally find a spot back by the Dam.

Here is my son Nate at our first nights camp site.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were camped at a place they call Depression Lake. Seems to be a seep lake from the earth dam between it and Baker Lake.

We got up the next morning and went for a couple rides. The first is on the other side of the dam. We had some great views of both lakes.

Here is Baker Lake and Depression Lake in the back. You can see the earth dam between lakes in this one.

Here is a zoomed in view of our camping spot just to the right of the red car. You can just make out the blue tent.

Some views of Mount Baker.

Someones hunting camp site.

Found a little pond way up in the hills.

Mount Baker again.

Arial view of the Baker Lake Dam.

Headed back over the dam and went to the other side of the Baker Rd to ride some roads. Got some great pics of a glacier on the mountain. Not sure if it has a name or not.

We were getting low on feul so we headed back to camp to load up and head for Sat. nights camp. On the way back we stop in Concrete to gas up and head out on the Skagit River Rd toward Darrington. We turn off about 5 miles from town to take a dirt route over Rat Trap Pass. It will dump us out on the mountain loop Hwy (dirt) so we can find a place to camp for the night.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crossing over the Sauk River.

Some waterfalls along the way.

Finally finding a campsite (free). We setup camp.

Got up the next morning and had a late breakfast and loaded up. We road a couple FS roads on the way home and got a few more pics.

There is a mine up there somewhere, we rode to the trail head and turned around.

Rode up to Coal Lake. Been driving up to this lake for several years. Remember when Nate was -1mo old (yes she was 8mo pregnant) his mom and I fishing here in 1980

8 mo. pregnant and climbing around those rocks on the left so we could get closer to the deep water to fish.

Here is a zoomed in pic of the Big Four Ice Caves on the other side of the road. It's a 1 mile hike to the Ice Caves. VERY popular with families with kids as the walk is mostly flat. Lots of danger signs saying to stay out of the caves. A cave in a few years ago killed a young boy.

Rode back down the the pavement and headed home. Had a great time as always.

Tracy

A few more pics.
Aug 2014 TW Ride Nate Peter Me Photos by Goldenhtr | Photobucket

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are some beefy front tires - no stockers there, that's for sure.

Anything serious wrong with your son's bike? TW troubles don't seem to be too common.

That looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the photos!
His bike will start and idle with the choke out and will die when pushed in. You can feather the throttle with the choke in , but if you let off it dies. Plugged up somewhere. :(

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Awesome. My first impression was "peaceful". Crusing around the woods, cool(er) temperature's, lakes, rivers, and mountain views. Yes, peaceful!

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow, that's some beautiful country. I especially liked the shots of the glacier and waterfalls. I didn't know we had glaciers in the lower 48, so that was interesting for me. I'm glad you had a good time, and even more so that you shared it with us. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Tracy, good to see you and Nate out in the woods. I've been a kid, but never a Dad. Can only imagine how good it can be when it's working well......... Thanks for all the time you have spent on keeping us on the 'straight and narrow'. Gerry

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tracy, good to see you and Nate out in the woods. I've been a kid, but never a Dad. Can only imagine how good it can be when it's working well......... Thanks for all the time you have spent on keeping us on the 'straight and narrow'. Gerry
Thanks Gerry, I'm hoping to get my youngest(27) on a future trip. He's been busy with a almost 2yr old. And yea a second coming in Jan.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I didn't realize that there were glaciers in WA either, very cool stuff! I'm feeling cooler just seeing pictures of all of that snow, ice and water.

Looks like a good ride with great company, thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't realize that there were glaciers in WA either, very cool stuff! I'm feeling cooler just seeing pictures of all of that snow, ice and water.

Looks like a good ride with great company, thanks for sharing.
Looks to be several on Mt. Baker. If I had to guess I'd say we were looking at PARK Glacier.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Great ride Tracy, thanks for sharing it with us!

Bag

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Awesome! Great time, ride, and report Tracy. Man, if you guys are ever looking for another dubber to join you on some of these epic NW rides, please let me know.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I love, love, love riding in this beautiful area. In fact, I was camping up at Lake Baker in Aug. 2014 too. Sure would have been a treat to run into you all up there. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts