TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Looks pretty sweet Ronny!

I just ordered that exact piston for mine. Is the 225 clutch side cover absolutely needed for the larger clutch assembly or will the TW side cover fit? I have both, but was hoping to use the TW one.

Who's the lucky new owner?

Registered
have you been swapping the case bearing so that you can use the ttr countershaft or just using the 200 counter shaft?

Registered
purple's? :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Looks pretty sweet Ronny!

I just ordered that exact piston for mine. Is the 225 clutch side cover absolutely needed for the larger clutch assembly or will the TW side cover fit? I have both, but was hoping to use the TW one.

Who's the lucky new owner?
Yes the 225 side cover is needed if you use the larger clutch assembly, but I have ran the TW clutch with Barnett clutches and spacers under the 4 springs. Is a mater of fact it's still in my bike after many years of tough riding and now pulling the trailer around.

Ronnydog

Banned
How do you use the TT-R countershaft with the TW left case cover? Am I missing something here?

I have the Barnett plates with an XT clutch and side cover on Tdub. Stock springs. Overkill.

Some don't like the Barnett plates because they tend to drag when cold. This goes away once warmed up.

Registered
I was talking about the counter balance shaft not the transmission counter shaft. sorry for the confusion

How do you use the TT-R countershaft with the TW left case cover? Am I missing something here?

I have the Barnett plates with an XT clutch and side cover on Tdub. Stock springs. Overkill.

Some don't like the Barnett plates because they tend to drag when cold. This goes away once warmed up.

Banned
Okay, thanks. I was hoping someone found an easier answer than remachining the TW countershaft for the XT or TT-R trans.

Tdub2 uses the stock TW counterbalancer and it seems to work well considering the greater shake from the relocated pin and a slightly heavier piston than stock.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13

Sorry, the 225 I run most of the time is a 5 Speed that's why I can run the stock clutch.

Your right about the Barnett plates they do drag even when hot, I sometimes have to put the bike in neutral to start it due to the drag.

Ronnydog

Registered
I took a sec and weighted them both. the 225 is only 20 grams heavier. I'm guessing the big difference is that the ttr vents through the counter shaft rather than just the top of the case. I know this method of venting is designed to pull the oil mist out of the crank case ventilation. Obviously they weren't terribly concerned with this considering the tw and older xts have standard vents. I have read a few cases in other bikes where the seal behind the counter balance shaft bearing gives out and then you have oil pouring into the air box. I think I'm going to use the 200 counter balance for this reason and for only 20 grams I cant see why it would be an issue.

Tdub2 uses the stock TW counterbalancer and it seems to work well considering the greater shake from the relocated pin and a slightly heavier piston than stock.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17

TW-Brian good job. As you can see Jimbo built another big wheel trailer and needs the power to pull it. We realized at the first annual Russ ride in San Luis Obisbo the stock TW did not have the power to pull the loaded trailer up some of the larger hills. It almost stalled out even when I tried clutching it. Well now he can kick my butt!
Ronnydog

Attachments

Registered
ronnydog nice Build. I know you didn't build this for drag racing but a clip of you drag racing a stock TW would be very interesting just to give us an idea of the actual performance difference.

Registered
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts