TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you guys have other bikes, mostly bigger and faster than the t dub. so I guess i'm off in left field on this one but I went the opposite and bought a smaller bike ( at least I think it will be a bike one day) I had a brand new one of these in 1973 and rode it for 17 years with no problems. so when I saw this little guy ( we'll call him Rusty) I had to rescue him. I don't know what I've gotten into, I started taking him apart today and I have never, ever, seen a machine so unmaintained as this. if you can't tell by the pictures, it is a Honda ct90. they call it the original duo sport bike. IMG_2272.JPG IMG_2279.JPG

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The number associated with that "chassis" is over 90 million since inception.

If you are restoring it to factory original, you will spend some serious scratch.

I have a 68 CT90K0 that is a Junior First Place bike. My friend asked me why I didn't have it judged when my RE5 was done. I said that it was my pit bike, why would I have it judged?
The rest is history. All real, all the patina, first place. Cannot tell you how much money went into it, but it look like it was dragged out of a barn yesterday.

I also have a 79 CT90. Totally original condition. Very low miles.

There are a few parts laying around here for CT90s. Nothing 1973 specific. Let me know if you need something.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I had one of the 110's back in the 80's while living in Grand Junction. It was my winter bike back then. The kids loved that bike, they would ride behind it on skates, ski's, snow saucers being towed by me around the neighborhood in the snow. Every kid for a mile around wanted me to pull them and give them a ride. It was in mint condition. EVERYTIME I went ANYWHERE, someone wanted to buy it out from under me. That bike is restore able, but its going to take some work. Good luck. Hopefully you got it for free or only a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The number associated with that "chassis" is over 90 million since inception.

If you are restoring it to factory original, you will spend some serious scratch.

I have a 68 CT90K0 that is a Junior First Place bike. My friend asked me why I didn't have it judged when my RE5 was done. I said that it was my pit bike, why would I have it judged?
The rest is history. All real, all the patina, first place. Cannot tell you how much money went into it, but it look like it was dragged out of a barn yesterday.

I also have a 79 CT90. Totally original condition. Very low miles.

Smitty. I might have to take you up on that offer. this bike needs at least one of everything, I don't think it will be restored to factory. right now I will be happy to have it functional and safe. I see your on the ct site. where's the best source for parts?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My friends in Canada usually have mailboxes just across the border in the US.
Perhaps you have a friend with one?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Given my experience, i'd say you have quite a project ahead of you. We had a Canadian moderator on the forum some time ago. Think he called himself vuldub. He goes by the same name and is also a member of the Yahoo Honda Trail bike forum. The good DrAtv should have most of what you need at a fair price. There is a fellow on E-Bay (Hondnutt) that does great machine work. He did my head and pressed on a new rod and crank bearings. I have a personal e-mail address if you don't want to go through E-Bay. Good luck. Had a very loud 'tappet' sound that would not adjust out. Turned out to be the upper rod bushing for the wrist pin. Pulled the crank, purchased a new rod from Thailand and bought crank bearings on Amazon as the are a very common size. Shipped the whole shebang to Zumbrota, Mn. for pressing.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Gerry,
Are you the guy who has the front spring kits for the old and new CT's?

Given my experience, i'd say you have quite a project ahead of you. We had a Canadian moderator on the forum some time ago. Think he called himself vuldub. He goes by the same name and is also a member of the Yahoo Honda Trail bike forum. The good DrAtv should have most of what you need at a fair price. There is a fellow on E-Bay (Hondnutt) that does great machine work. He did my head and pressed on a new rod and crank bearings. I have a personal e-mail address if you don't want to go through E-Bay. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I covet your new bike! I've wanted one of those in the worst way for some time, but they're ridiculously priced in the Fraser Valley. Do you have BC regi for it? If not, the process for claiming regi through ICBC is not bad; it takes about a month, and costs a little over $50 in total.

If you need to have a Dr. ATV package shipped, you could arrange to ship it to Sumas, WA, and I could pick it up for you. I'm only about 30 blocks from Sumas. I could then throw it on Greyhound to get it to Armstrong.

Dr. ATV sells adapters to mount a China 125 to your bike. The 90/110 bikes have a slightly different mounting pattern than the 50/70 that the China 125 is based on, but it is a popular swap. You can likely find a 125 pit bike for cheap on CL, and harvest the motor. I've had good luck with China 125's.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks for the info Gerry.. I think it will be quite a while before I will be worried about the motor. I don't know if it even runs. I am going to look into one of those Chinese clones if I need any major engine repairs. ( I think I might) I am going to do all the body and controls and shocks and 12 volt conversion and, and, and,...... before the motor

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I covet your new bike! I've wanted one of those in the worst way for some time, but they're ridiculously priced in the Fraser Valley. Do you have BC regi for it? If not, the process for claiming regi through ICBC is not bad; it takes about a month, and costs a little over $50 in total.

If you need to have a Dr. ATV package shipped, you could arrange to ship it to Sumas, WA, and I could pick it up for you. I'm only about 30 blocks from Sumas. I could then throw it on Greyhound to get it to Armstrong.

Dr. ATV sells adapters to mount a China 125 to your bike. The 90/110 bikes have a slightly different mounting pattern than the 50/70 that the China 125 is based on, but it is a popular swap. You can likely find a 125 pit bike for cheap on CL, and harvest the motor. I've had good luck with China 125's.
another great offer, thanks. i'm still taking inventory and trying to get a total on expenses and then i'll build a list on the way it is really going to be done and see the difference and spread it out over time and make small purchases, so i'm thinking I probably won't bother you but thanks for the offer. you loose the dual range on the trans with the Chinese 125 don't you? I was thinking more about the 140cc to make up for it.
no I don't have any paper work for the bike. I will start on that tomorrow. oh boy, I can hardly wait to deal with ICBC

i'm surprised at how small these 90s are. I have the front end off of it and it looks like a kid's toy. I thought I might be able to put the death wing off of my t dub on the back of the 90, but that would take major surgery to get it in the fender. it makes my t dub look like a giant
oh and by the way , I did see a pretty respectable ct90 in surrey, it was on line for $450. and another in Squamish for the same price

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If either of them are runners and had a fuller compliment of parts, you would be way ahead if you bought one of those and parted your bike.

Been there, done that. Got the tee shirt, but had to sell it for bus fare...

One day I'll tell you all about a certain 66 Ducati that if perfect, would be worth 4k. Then I'll tell you that there is five times that in mine. And it isn't done yet.

another great offer, thanks. i'm still taking inventory and trying to get a total on expenses and then i'll build a list on the way it is really going to be done and see the difference and spread it out over time and make small purchases, so i'm thinking I probably won't bother you but thanks for the offer. you loose the dual range on the trans with the Chinese 125 don't you? I was thinking more about the 140cc to make up for it.
no I don't have any paper work for the bike. I will start on that tomorrow. oh boy, I can hardly wait to deal with ICBC

i'm surprised at how small these 90s are. I have the front end off of it and it looks like a kid's toy. I thought I might be able to put the dead wing off of my t dub on the back of the 90, but that would take major surgery to get it in the fender. it makes my t dub look like a giant
oh and by the way , I did see a pretty respectable ct90 in surrey, it was on line for $450. and another in Squamish for the same price

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smitty...I know what your saying, But... I have to do things the hard way, always 3 times over before I get it right. so instead of taking a 2 day drive to get a better bike I chose to take the hard road and buy something close to home,,, Old Rusty i'm all ready growing attached

1 - 20 of 28 Posts