TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I sold a Super Sherpa and bought a BMW Dakar, which is getting more daily use than little TW.

This year, haven't sold anything, but in the process of buying another bike. I went to look at a low mileage 1994 BMW R1100GS in Marrakesh Red Scheme Code 658 (with the yellow tan saddle), but just missed it. But there were two other bikes next to the big beemer...

So I bought a 1983 Honda CX650E (or ED, or Eurosport). If anyone remembers the early 80's, one can remember the "Euro" treatment. Even has the orange 80's gauge cluster. My 23 year old son loves early 80s stuff. Go figure.

I never really liked the other CX models, (except for the Turbo), but this one has all of the Honda goodies ( TRAC, Pro-Link, air assist shocks, boomarang Comstars, shaft drive) of the 80's except for the turbo. I like the quirky engineering. Let's see if I like it a year from now...

I would say VG to Excellent condition as it sits now.

Looks just like this.

It is just up the street, I know the meticulous previous millwright owner, and they price was right.

Never got the Eurosport in the US. Only Europe, Australia, and Canada. Getting fairly rare. Approximately 1200 of them sold in 83-84.

I really don't have room for 3 bikes, so one may go in the Spring. I could see myself keeping it dead stock, detailing it, riding it a bit, and then exporting/importing this to the US. Maybe put on Bring a Trailer.

Funny thing is Chopper Charles, who started this forum, also started the CX forum...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
It will keep your knees warm on a cool evening ,..

Reactions: NorthernSpy

·
Registered
175 Posts
I rented a CX500 for a couple of weeks in New Zealand many years ago and had a great time touring around on it. It wasn't a very exciting bike but it got the job done.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rented a CX500 for a couple of weeks in New Zealand many years ago and had a great time touring around on it. It wasn't a very exciting bike but it got the job done.
I have to admit I do not care for the CX500. Although some have been tastefully bobbed into scramblers. When I do see a CX I like, I notice that most of the time it has black engine paint. Somehow it seems to hide the fact that it appears you are riding on an air compressor.

I'm like that with Guzzis too. Some are great, some are hideous.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I remember my father having to split the engine cases on one of those just to replace the stator. 650 silverwing version. Other than that it was super reliable probably close to 100k miles was put on it

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember my father having to split the engine cases on one of those just to replace the stator. 650 silverwing version. Other than that it was super reliable probably close to 100k miles was put on it
Yup. And the stator is one of the weak links. The other is the timing chain tensioner.

Rode it home on a short ride yesterday. Can't wait to get it legal and take it for a proper spin.

It sits lower than a TW. I can flat foot it when it is on the center stand.

Somehow, it is nerdy and cool at the same time.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will ask my mom if she still has my silver-grey Members Only jacket in the closet. It would be the perfect accessory. That and a Duran-Duran cassette.

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Cool bike!

Reactions: NorthernSpy

·
Registered
591 Posts
Very cool. I had a GL650 that I chopped into a scrambler. I split the case for a gasket leak and did a timing chain. That bike ran really good.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Sky

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I bought a 1980 CX500 Deluxe new.

Had if for a few years and sold it to a friend that still has it sitting in his garage.

jb

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I had the first year 1978 CX-500. Not a lot of power but after putting S&W shocks along with heavier weight fork oil and fitting Dunlop TT-100R tires it handled very well. I credit it with teaching me how to corner at the limit because the only way I could keep up with the bigger bikes was to keep my cornering speed up.

·
Registered
2004 R1150GSA BMW, 2018 Van Van, 2004 V star 1100
872 Posts
I wore out a GL500 way back traveling all over. Shaft drive, 50mpg, extremely dependable. Awesome factory fairing and luggage. So far ahead of it's time. Died as they were too low on power for America I guess. For a fully fair unit it actually was a fair steed on dirt roads long as you didn't mind a few scratches. Easier to pick up than my current BMW!
Watch that coolant flush! That's for sure a weak point dissimilar metal corrosion kills the cooling system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts