TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to attempt replacement. Got proper tools, tire lift, etc..
Is it better to break the chain on the top part or the bottom part? My brain does not compute stuff like this well. I’m thinking to break it at the bottom, connect new chain to old one, rotate tire backward until the left end of the new chain is at 12 o clock on the rear sprocket and the wrap the other end of the new chain on the rear sprocket to meet the left end. Is this correct? I appreciate the help. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Top or bottom makes no difference...but I don't know why people insist on hooking new chain to old, I've never had a problem passing a new chain through the CS and out the bottom....am I doing something right?

Just remember NOT to over-tighten it.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I typically break mine on the top run with the master link at approximately the 1 o'clock position on the rear sprocket (but only on those days that end in a "y" ;)!).

This way, it is closer to eye level while I am seated on the gound and gravity keeps the loose ends of the chain on the sprocket.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Cerberus -

Do it either way. Both have minor advantages & disadvantages.

Break it on top and connect new chain to old.
You don't have to remove the C/S cover.

Break it on bottom & remove C/S cover.
This gives you the opportunity to inspect & clean what's underneath.
I never miss the chance to to look at moving stuff or electrical stuff I haven't seen in a while.

Just think it through.
And you don't have to do it *my* way.

That was a good question, by the way.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Be very careful not to put your chain on backwards or upside down. I knew a guy that did that once and it ruined the entire bike.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be very careful not to put your chain on backwards or upside down. I knew a guy that did that once and it ruined the entire bike.
Care to elaborate on that? I did not know there was right and wrong way to install a chain. Now I’m nervous. What’s the forward and upside supposed to look like? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
18,126 Posts
Care to elaborate on that? I did not know there was right and wrong way to install a chain. Now I’m nervous. What’s the forward and upside supposed to look like? Thank you
I think they were yanking your chain... ;-)

Although it is important to have the master link clip facing the right way.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they were yanking your chain... ;-)

Although it is important to have the master link clip facing the right way.
Haha, ok way to go, dump on the old newbie, haha. The clip faces with the closed end going forward, correct?

·
Super Moderator
18,126 Posts
Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Put an extra master link on the key and you will never need to use it. Don't do it and you will be sorry.......

P4100623.JPG

For the truly fanatics about prevention take the thin wire plastic bread loaves bags are closed with and use it (or another thin wire) to safety wire the spring clip on.

P2260836.JPG

And for easy to find master links get one that is a different color than the chain. It will keep you from going crazy looking for it.

Mst Lnk.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts