TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a way to carry fuel IMG_0726.jpg IMG_0727.jpg IMG_0723.jpg IMG_0722.jpg IMG_0724.jpg weight as low as possible. The pictures are self explanatory. The Yamalube container is for visual info only. Whatever container I will settle for will then be strapped to the bike frame with wide Velcro straps or Rock straps. I tried bungee cords but they allow too much movement, even tho the trip I'm preparing for will be all on pavement (oh, the horror..:), I want to make sure the container stays put. Hopefully I will be able to use a Rotopax can as I think the platform is wide enough. Crude yes but it feels pretty solid. Constructive criticism welcome.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Should work, especially if inelastic straps help hold fuel container securely to rest of foot peg support framework so that fuel and homemade platform cannot rotate at all around passenger peg. Give it a thorough test pulling and pushing to see if anything can work loose before actually going for a ride. Rotopax should be rigid enough to not flex like thinner conventional gas cans.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m going to be sure to put it thru a hard work out for sure before I strap anything on it. I’ll even wrap several layers of duct tape to make it less slippery. The velcro straps I used allow for no movement at all. A 2.5 gal. Rotopax/fuelpax in addition to the 1.4 gal. tank should give me about 350 mi. range, good enough I think for the trip I’m preparing for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had 3 of these things, and have faithfully carried a quart in a camping fuel bottle thousands of miles, because of the small tank. Never used it. Even pushing it I always made it to a pump. There is a small volume of fuel along the hump for the frame you can't use. Unless you're in the desert why bother?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
I thought the 4 gallon Clarke tank was going be provide wonkey handling but its really not very noticeable. I'm sure you could find a member out there who has one on their bike they would let you try?

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Now to just balance things out by putting twenty pounds hanging off the right side.:D Two one gallon containers would be more balanced & less crowded for your feet.
So where are you headed? 150 miles out and back without reliable gas, or a single 300+ mile push to the next station?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Instead of carrying extra fuel and it's weight, I've staged fuel at a mid point for a given ride. Usually where the trail is near a road on the way in to the staging area. I'll just pull over, tuck the can in the woods, and head towards staging. When I reach the refuel area, I bungee the empty container onto the rear rack and off I go. I suppose I could just stash the can again and pick up when I leave the area, but I usually don't.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
With the stock tank I had need to make fuel depots a few times for rides planned to exceed 120 miles. Either drop off a full Prestone gallon on my way in if haul vehicle was on intended route back like Death Valley, or ride with a gallon in a day pack about 40 miles then top-off TW tank and then stash remaining fuel behind a bush for retrieval on way home. Either way plan was to have enough fuel without having to haul it and container around all the time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now to just balance things out by putting twenty pounds hanging off the right side.:D Two one gallon containers would be more balanced & less crowded for your feet.
So where are you headed? 150 miles out and back without reliable gas, or a single 300+ mile push to the next station?
Baja California. Always wanted to do that but life got in the way. Now at 73 I have the time. I’ve been to Mexico a zillion time, I love the country and its people. I’m only missing one important item: nuts. I’m not comfortable alone in the middle of nowhere, hundred of miles from civilization. Hopefully I’ll find a way to grow a set. Ideally I’d like to find a riding partner, who like me, has the time. So far it has proven difficult.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
OK Cerberus, here ya go!
$15.95 on eBay and they come in all colors.

Off to Baja...post pics!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nice idea but just be careful about falling over and crushing/puncturing the can with the bike and dowsing your hot engine with gas.
Is the ground clearance to the bottom of the can enough to avoid rocks and other hazards riding off road? It would be nice if you fabricated a bracket out of metal and mounted it to the peg, to protect the front. sides, and and bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice idea but just be careful about falling over and crushing/puncturing the can with the bike and dowsing your hot engine with gas.
Is the ground clearance to the bottom of the can enough to avoid rocks and other hazards riding off road? It would be nice if you fabricated a bracket out of metal and mounted it to the peg, to protect the front. sides, and and bottom of the tank.
That's a great idea, thank you. While my fabricating skills are non existent at best, I will not see any off road travel whatsoever. I have no experience with that, so my trip if I ever make it out there will be all pavement, and if I can keep the bike upright I should be fine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Surprisingly, along the coast, Baja has plenty of small towns with Pemex stations and within fuel tank range. Going across from Pacific side to Sea of Cortez side is your only worry but it isn't that far either. Stock tank and a Rotopax should be plenty, unless you don't feel like stopping to look at the ocean every 80- 100 miles to top off. Tell Sammy Hagar we said Hi.

·
Registered
604 Posts
OK Cerberus, here ya go!
$15.95 on eBay and they come in all colors.

Off to Baja...post pics!
I don't like the blue ones.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I don't like the blue ones.
Oh, I hated the "blue balls".
Many were the times I'd lift the bumper of my '52 Chevy clean off the ground after a date!
I love Google...it seems there is an annual "Blue Balls Festival" in Lucerne, Switzerland.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts