TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know, but I think I'm unnecessarily afraid of my tw stock front tire. I don't ride too aggressively. I feel like I may have difficulty finding out what my tw can do because the front tire is the weak link.
Please drop comments on...
Is it really as bad as the nickname implies?
What aftermarket front tire do you run?
What is yout ratio of pavement to trail riding?
Anything else you think is important.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Stocker is fine on pavement, but it can be crap off road. For peace of mind, a Shinko 241 is $50 well spent. Good in most conditions, and it is a good match for the stock rear. They make a good all-round dual-sport package. The Pirelli MT43, is very similar and also recommended, it's a bit more because it is a Pirelli.

https://amzn.to/2vYzjCd

·
Registered
739 Posts
So I have had a few bikes with a couple of variations of Trailwings (Deathwings). If you are on “dry” pavement, they really are fine. Honestly. However, IMO once conditions get wet, slick, dirt, mud, gravel, sand, ANYTHING other than dry pavement they really do suck. Badly.

Here is my dilemma. I ride year round. I don’t get snow or winter really. However, in winter months I get deep, ultra-slick, red clay mud. Therefore I run a super aggressive non-road friendly front tire. But, in warmer/hot months I ride mainly hard pack, some rock and a fair amount of sand. I really need hot swappable front tires. Shameless plug for my WTB post in classifieds.

If I had it my way, I would run the 241 or 244 for maybe 7+ months and then the Pirelli Scorpion Pro I am running now for the other 5 months or so.

I think if you’re doing a fair amount of payment, which I really do not, you should really go for the 241. Great all around tire for everything but slick mud and nastiness.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I wore mine out before I replaced it with the Stinko! I don't think it has killed anyone yet, but if you ride in a straight line on gravel you'll be fine. Just watch those downhills turns on loose gravel while braking :help:

·
Registered
305 Posts
As said for dry pavement or very light off road use the stock front is passable (although it's fairly noisy on pavement, and also wears quickly- well faster than the rear). Anything else it's pretty crap.

The 241 is a cheap, easy upgrade. It's superior to the stock front in every way. It's quieter and better behaved on pavement, and off road it works much better. It also vastly outlasts the stock front despite being softer/grippier (deeper tread), and it has the benefit of bringing the speedometer pretty close to reality, cuts 7-8% "optimism" in half.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm in the same boat, have run the stock tire offroad a little bit...wasn't bad...but definitely got loosey-goosey a couple times in the mud. Currently having the internal debate between the 244 5.10 (or possibly 4.60), or the 241 4.00...pretty sure I want to change just to avoid any issues, and sort of leaning towards the 244.

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
I think I'm unnecessarily afraid of my tw stock front tire
The stock death wing is trying to kill you. It knows it will succeed if given the time and opportunity, so it is content to wait, conspiring in the darkness while you sleep. It knows your riding style, every bend you take in the road, and when the conditions are right to get away with it, it will take you down

It laughs with you as you casually take each ride, building up your confidence, knowing your downfall awaits. It is the Anti-Christ, treachery dressed in black rubber, and it knows no mercy. A soul less ring of seeming innocence, waiting to drink from your your soul as it falls. The silent killer, it needs no reason to be, content to wait to take you away into the darkness when you expect it the least

It is “The Death Wing”, and those that ride it do so at their peril, unaware of the evil that lurks beneath them

The Shinko 241’s quite good though ……..

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
... I think I'm unnecessarily afraid of my tw stock front tire. ..
Purple is absolutely right.....actually, you CAN'T be too afraid of your OEM front tire!!!! :angel8:

Unless you ride only on dry pavement at speeds below 35. :mad:

I don't ride aggressively either, but I found out the hard way like most of us. The 2nd and 3rd TW's never got off the showroom floor with the Death Wing.....I have two brand new ones I would give away sitting in the barn.
I think it is the worst tire I have ever encountered in 55 years of riding.

·
Registered
19,572 Posts
Now,now,now Gentlemen...The stock front tire isn't that bad. It just isn't that good either.
To each their own, I guess many have figured out how to get good use out of their Death Wings.
Got to respect that.;)

tire swing .jpg

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I call the stock front the Judo Master. I bought a shinko 244 in the first few months. I found that too hard for cold weather so I bought the shinko 241 which has done well for me all year round even in snow. In mud it surprised me that running low pressure and at enough speed it clears mud surprisingly well. The rubber is so soft the treads flex easily.

In the meantime, be mindful of how/when you use your front brake (no slops, or turns). When you fear the stock front tire most keep your weight centered or forward on the bike to keep the front planted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I call the stock front the Judo Master. I bought a shinko 244 in the first few months. I found that too hard for cold weather so I bought the shinko 241 which has done well for me all year round even in snow. In mud it surprised me that running low pressure and at enough speed it clears mud surprisingly well. The rubber is so soft the treads flex easily.

In the meantime, be mindful of how/when you use your front brake (no slops, or turns). When you fear the stock front tire most keep your weight centered or forward on the bike to keep the front planted.
Outside of the cold weather riding, would you have kept the 244? I won’t do any winter riding....but have been agonizing over the 241/244 debate (sorry for the thread hijack).

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Go with the 241 bro. It's a better tire all around than the 244.
Outside of the cold weather riding, would you have kept the 244? I won’t do any winter riding....but have been agonizing over the 241/244 debate (sorry for the thread hijack).

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm in the same boat, have run the stock tire offroad a little bit...wasn't bad...but definitely got loosey-goosey a couple times in the mud. Currently having the internal debate between the 244 5.10 (or possibly 4.60), or the 241 4.00...pretty sure I want to change just to avoid any issues, and sort of leaning towards the 244.
On my 2010, I rode the OEM for 4,000 miles before changing. (Big Mistake!) The Shinko 241 had not come onto people's radar yet, so I went with a Kenda 270. That was WAY better than the Bridgestone in dirt, but it only lasted about 4,000 miles before it began to buzz on pavement. After 4,000 miles on the Kenda on my 2010 I changed to the Shinko 241 and went another 8,000 miles on it with no perceptible degradation.

My concern from the start of the decision tree was front tire weight. I really didn't want to get a heavier tire, so the Kenda was a 120/80-18. That worked really well in the dirt and on pavement until it began to wear as above. The Shinko 241 4.00-18, which is about the same weight, has worked at least as well in the dirt or pavement, but hasn't exhibited the tread wear of the Kenda, which I suspect is also a characteristic of the Golden Boy.

I had a chance to ride a friend's TW set up with a Golden Boy 244 in 5.10 a couple years ago. I found it heavier, slower to make quick corrections, but more stable on loose gravel roads....which is pretty much as one would expect. I was happy with my decision to have a faster responding tire, since I don't push hard on gravel. I doubt if I would have noticed much difference on pavement.

If you do mostly dirt riding, particularly in loose dirt and some mud, I'd go with the 244, but in 4.60. If you go back and forth on the pavement like me and have more rocky terrain in general, I'd go with the Shinko 241.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wore mine out before I replaced it with the Stinko! I don't think it has killed anyone yet, but if you ride in a straight line on gravel you'll be fine. Just watch those downhills turns on loose gravel while braking :help:
There is absolutely no way that this tire hasn't killed anyone. I'll bet it has killed dozens, maybe more. I ride fairly aggressively. I have done a mix of in-town, dirt roads and plain trails. I switched to the Shinko and was amazed at the difference. I had less than 450 miles on my Bridgestone and had several very close calls and went off the road into ditches 2 or 3 times. When the front tire blows out before the rear, you are asking for trouble. The TW doesn't have the power to spin the rear wheel in turns like a real dirt bike does. You have to finesse it and this is very hard to do with the factory tire. If you are a conservative rider you will likely be fine. On pavement it is fine. I can lean to the point where I scrape stuff and it holds. The $50 Shinko is eons better.

·
Registered
913 Posts
'94 TW. 244 Golden Boy 4.60. Yer, right. It is very good on gravel and loose trails. It isn't the best tire for pavement (too heavy) but I still think it is better than the OEM D'wing -- even there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do people feel about the TW302 these days? And just my experience, but I ran the Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" for a couple of years, only street use, and discovered every second knob down the center was a harder rubber, so it started vibrating almost immediately, and just got worse as time went on. (Took me a while to figure out).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ran the Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" for a couple of years, only street use, and discovered every second knob down the center was a harder rubber, so it started vibrating almost immediately, and just got worse as time went on. (Took me a while to figure out).
This may have just swayed me towards the 241, been having the 244/241 internal debate for about a week or so :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts