TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a rack off one of those elcheapo atv's from a friend and decided to put it to use. The brackets were fabricated from stock 1" bar from Home Depot and the design was stolen for other post here. I dont weld but my local welding shop welded the 4 spots needed for $10. a coat of primer and some satin black and whola...I like it, and I like the cost even more :), now just gotta add a bracket somewhere for a gas can, dont want to use up the luggage space...any ideas?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I scored a rack off one of those elcheapo atv's from a friend and decided to put it to use. The brackets were fabricated from stock 1" bar from Home Depot and the design was stolen for other post here. I dont weld but my local welding shop welded the 4 spots needed for $10. a coat of primer and some satin black and whola...I like it, and I like the cost even more :), now just gotta add a bracket somewhere for a gas can, dont want to use up the luggage space...any ideas?

RastaRacks:

Congrats on TW #2. Maybe some Kolpin gas containers off the back of the rack, or a couple of tool tubes with fuel cylinders? Bigger tank? Spend, spend, spend

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
looks nice and lots of space for carrying stuff. The only drawback is trying to squeeze thru tight spots. When I'm exploring there are plenty of times where I'm barely able to squeeze thru a small opening to further explore a trail or past a gate/fence posts......That's why I prefer a dirtbike over quad in some areas.....

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
looks nice and lots of space for carrying stuff. The only drawback is trying to squeeze thru tight spots. When I'm exploring there are plenty of times where I'm barely able to squeeze thru a small opening to further explore a trail or past a gate/fence posts......That's why I prefer a dirtbike over quad in some areas.....

It would seem so, but going on 3 years I've never had it happen. Handlebars are 30-33" wide on most bikes, and 26-27" crossed up. My rack is similar, and it's 27" wide (not much wider than an average man's shoulders). Generally speaking if you can walk through it you can ride through it and if the front will fit through it, the back will follow.

I'm sure there are fence gaps that it won't squeek through, though. I carry fence pliers for that, even on my horse. Not sure I'd recomend that in some locales. Most ranch gaps are designed to get a horse through, anyway. Never been an issue for me on a bike.

Every type of rack has advantages and disadvantages. One of the advantages of this type is that you can get completely under it with both forearms and lift the bike fully off the ground with your legs, so as long as the posts aren't too tall you can lift it over them. Leaning the bike as you walk the back through narrows it a bunch, too.

If you're dealing with 3-pole mangaps you probably won't get any bike through one without lifting one or both ends, anyway.

There's nothing to stop you from narrowing it to any width you'd prefer, removing the "ears" of the rack, removing the cargo rails or turning it completely around. I cut almost 8" out of the middle of the ATV rack on mine and welded it back together. You can also widen a "found" rack to suit yor needs, as well. Cut one in half and mount the halves vertically on both sides of the bike as pannier racks.

My "ideal" rack would be one of these things, but with sides that fold up or down. In the down position they're pannier racks. In the middle position they're an aircraft carrier and in the up position a firewood rack.

These are usually cheap when you find them and good sources of usable, pre-bent shapes. If you stare one down for long enough you can probably find other ways to tweak one, if you're into it.

Given that the stock rack costs a C-note and barely holds a sandwich, this is the best use of 10 bucks I've seen on this board in awhile.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'm not a big fan of auxilary fuel tanks. Transfering fuel over a hot engine is a fire hazard. Seriously consider one of the bigger tank mods.

Nice rack! Make a bracket to hold a Kolpin on the left side vertically under the rack. It should be out of the way and the rack will protect it in a spill. The bracket could bolt to the two left-side mounts for the rack and the passenger footpeg or bracket. You will loose no space.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm not a big fan of auxilary fuel tanks. Transfering fuel over a hot engine is a fire hazard. Seriously consider one of the bigger tank mods.

Nice rack! Make a bracket to hold a Kolpin on the left side vertically under the rack. It should be out of the way and the rack will protect it in a spill. The bracket could bolt to the two left-side mounts for the rack and the passenger footpeg or bracket. You will loose no space.

Do you wait for your bike to cool down at the gas station before refueling? (this is a serious question, provided that you were also being serious)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Usually I park, go in, use the restroom, pick up something cold to drink, then push over to the pump and refuel. It only takes a couple minutes for the stuff hot enough to set gasoline affire to cool off to a safe level.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
That's pretty close, as-is. I had to narrow mine just to get the sides to wrap around the seat so closely.

I'd like to find one like that for Purple's. It looks a bit lighter and doesn't hang as far off the back as my cut up Honda rack.

Let me know if you ever find out which Chinabike it came from.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's pretty close, as-is. I had to narrow mine just to get the sides to wrap around the seat so closely.

I'd like to find one like that for Purple's. It looks a bit lighter and doesn't hang as far off the back as my cut up Honda rack.

Let me know if you ever find out which Chinabike it came from.

I think he still has the frame, so the next time I go by his place I will check it out, and let you know.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's a good looking rack. I never seem to be able to find anything useful around where I live and have to end up making my own. I'm lucky that I own a welder and know just enough about it to get myself in and out of trouble. For the cost of new metal, which is still quite reasonably priced, I can usually fab something worthwhile. I had to change the design of my rack as the weight I carry and the mounts on the turn signals were causing the light weight frame of the tail section to break up when I drove on rough gravel roads. Went to a cantilevered design similar to the cyclerack which appears to be very strong. I actually climbed onto the rack with my 225# and did nothing other than completely compress my rear shock.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Nice work!

Not saying your concerns aren't valid. I definitely considered them before I built mine. But I've routinely hauled well over 60 pounds for prolonged periods over serious terrain with it. All the gear for two for two weeks, all my gear and 5 gallons of water, solo on things like the Mojave Road and even the occasional 130 lb. bale of hay with no bending, cracking or apparent ill effects. I don't baby it at all.

Mine, being considerably longer and wider should exert even more "sub-subframe" stress than Rasta's, including more torsional (twisting) force. YMMV.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice work.

Not saying your concerns aren't valid. I definitely considered them before I built mine. But I've routinely hauled well over 60 pounds for prolonged periods over serious terrain with mine. All the gear for two for two weeks, all my gear and 5 gallons of water, solo on things like the Mojave Road and the occasional 130 lb. bale of hay with no bending, cracking or apparent ill affects. I don't baby it at all.

Mine being considerably longer should exert even more "sub-subframe" stress than Rasta's.
My rack and Pelican case along with contents weighed approximately 35 lbs and most of the contents were held in place in the way it's packed. The original design worked for quite a long time with no problems. The small diameter tail piece pipes are bolted in four places to brackets which are in turn welded to the heavier frame. The forward most mounts are where the welds broke. I re-welded the brackets but the thin bracket material failed after two trips into the backcountry. I like the look of your modified ATV rack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts