TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

DISCLAIMER - I HAVE THE MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL KNOW HOW OF A MOOSE. 11705459_10153375088160733_4500426094600556872_o.jpg IMG_2156.JPG

I changed the indicators on my 2015 TW to smaller LED units.

Initially I did just the back ones (along with the stop lamp) and when indicating it would flash faster than normal but still flash.

I then replaced the front ones too and tried them to see what happened with the standard relay.

When indicating, the flashers just go on - no flashing.

1) Is the indicator relay on the right hand side sort of where your knee would go? I replaced this with a special LED relay but still no luck - lights just go on with no flashing.

Do I need more or less resistance on the relay (if the thing I changed is indeed the relay!).

2) The blue wire going to the front flashers that causes them to stay on permanently - can I just isolate that or is it integral to the front flasher's operation? It is not a legal requirement in South Africa to have the front flasher light lit up when no indicating as I believe it is in the USA.

Thanks in advance for any help - before and afters as above.

·
Super Moderator
4,732 Posts
The newer (post 2000) TW’s use a system that involves “position” lights — dual filament indicator bulbs — constantly on. So that “blue wire” is probably confusing the flasher unit — (I have no idea what colour the wire is, but if you’re sure, isolate it). You should probably swap out the dash bulb for an LED while you’re at it — not sure if this would contribute to the cause of your problem, but an LED bulb in there is “belt and braces”.

Try this first and see how you get on ……..

·
Super Moderator
17,648 Posts
Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

If you look at this website, under the lighting and electrical section, you will find 3 items. The LED turn signal resister kit, the LED 12 volt turn signal flasher and the LED signal diode kit. I think if you look at these and read the "more info" and "installation" information given on these items, you will find your answer. Hope this helps, keep us posted please.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Sorry to high jack but I had never heard the term "belt and braces". used before. Learned something new this morning. :D

Belt and braces

Meaning

Careful - not taking any chances.

Origin

Belts and braces (a.k.a. bracers) are meant to hold one's trousers up. Going 'belt and braces' is a double insurance against having them fall down. The figurative use, as a general term for cautiousness, was coined around the mid-20th century.

In the USA 'belt and suspenders' is used with just the same meaning. That emerged at around the same time too. The first citation in print we have is from the Galveston Daily News, 1935 - in their 'News Behind the News' column:

"A pessimist wears both belt and suspenders."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

If you look at this website, under the lighting and electrical section, you will find 3 items. The LED turn signal resister kit, the LED 12 volt turn signal flasher and the LED signal diode kit. I think if you look at these and read the "more info" and "installation" information given on these items, you will find your answer. Hope this helps, keep us posted please.
Thanks very much.

Those resistors - where does one wire them in? I can get resistors from my local electronics shop. I thought that one would need one on each indicator but I see on the kit that there are only two for 4 indicators?

·
Super Moderator
17,648 Posts
I am not sure. It may be because the front signal lights stay on all the time and the rear ones don't. Did you read this part on the procycle site?

*Unfortunately the TW200 turn signal circuit is wired differently than most other motorcycles.
You can indeed make everything work you just need to do a little extra wiring. Cap off the wires that come from the motorcycle to the indicator bulb, you will no longer use those two wires.
You need to run a wire from +12volt side of left front turn signal bulb to one of the Red wires if the diode kit.
Then you need to run a wire from the +12volt side of the right front turn signal bulb to the other Red wire of the diode kit.
Then hook the White wire of the diode kit to one wire of the indicator bulb. Then hook the other wire of the indicator bulb to ground.

·
Super Moderator
4,732 Posts
Tommy - I think those resistors are for use with LED lights and the original flasher unit - with the new flasher unit in place he should be well withing range .......

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I had the same problem. even after using the right flasher for led lights. The front lights being on all the time have nothing to do with the signals. I removed the front led bulbs and left it at that, the rear led with stock front flash fine. that's the easy way out. if you are going to install resistors then first you have to make sure you have resistors with the proper ohms and then you install one resistor per side and it goes from the positive wire( to the bulb, after the flasher) to ground, to simulate the same resistance the old bulbs had, to fool the flasher into working

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It is likely the dash indicator bulb that is the issue. It cross-feeds the turn signals. the diode stops this cross-feed. you shouldn't need the in-line resistors with the LED flasher unit installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried a generic LED bayonet type globe that was a straight switch from the normal incandescent one.

All it did was make the flashers less bright when they go on.

As an aside, I thought to do all of them so also replaced the high beam and neutral light.

When I took it out of neutral the neutral light LED blew. So back to incandescent there but the the high beam one seems fine.

Not simple this electrical stuff!

Think it's time to admit defeat and throw a professional some money haha.

·
Super Moderator
17,648 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
hey Andrew fyi you may not know this tidbit... if you place a led bulb into a amber lense then the bulb has to be amber or a led bulb into a red lense then the bulb has to be red. if you put a white bulb behind a coloured lense then some of the light sectrum is blocked and the light will appear dim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts