TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a nice '97 last week. I had been looking for a while but here in Boise TWs are very popular and often sell for 4K plus (which seems a little unreasonable to me). Paid $2,500 for this guy with 4,500 miles. It came with a low shock and stiffer fork springs (plus all stock parts). I have replaced the original shock and been doing some general maintenance (haven't ridden it yet, it is very cold at present). The day after I bought mine my buddy bought a '21 (for 5k with 300 miles) that sits in my garage. We both own full size adventure bikes (I have a '21 Tenere 700 and he rides a '17 Honda Africa Twin) and were looking for smaller bikes for camping and exploring. We both had DRZs a few years ago but i think the TWs will fit our needs better. I have owned a KLR650, XL-250, DT-1E, and most recently an '09 BMWR1200 GS Adventure but this little bike has me pretty excited!
Appreciate the sage advice of the group.
Regards Chris
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
1,306 Posts
So I just picked up a nice '97 last week. I had been looking for a while but here in Boise TWs are very popular and often sell for 4K plus (which seems a little unreasonable to me). Paid $2,500 for this guy with 4,500 miles. It came with a low shock and stiffer fork springs (plus all stock parts). I have replaced the original shock and been doing some general maintenance (haven't ridden it yet, it is very cold at present). The day after I bought mine my buddy bought a '21 (for 5k with 300 miles) that sits in my garage. We both own full size adventure bikes (I have a '21 Tenere 700 and he rides a '17 Honda Africa Twin) and were looking for smaller bikes for camping and exploring. We both had DRZs a few years ago but i think the TWs will fit our needs better. I have owned a KLR650, XL-250, DT-1E, and most recently an '09 BMWR1200 GS Adventure but this little bike has me pretty excited!
Regards Chris View attachment 233514
We'll have to arrange some rides. I'm in Caldwell. Others are in Marsing, Garden Valley. Emmett, & Boise.

· Registered
498 Posts
Idaho has thousands of miles of primitive roads and trails to ride and just stunning country to ride in. TW Country for sure...

My private Idaho includes the Salmon River and Stanley Area......the Nez Pierce/Lewis and Clark Trail....The Magruder Corridor, Jarbidge, Birds of Prey....of course the Basin......I hope someday to hike and ride the Owyhee Area ..........Happy trails....unless you are a skier, Spring can't come to soon...(y)

· Registered
2019 Tw200
105 Posts
Regards Chris View attachment 233514
Wish my stall looked like that.

· Registered
3,744 Posts
Looks like a twin of mhomadness's bike... score!

welcome to the forum

· Super Moderator
14,351 Posts
What Oldworld124 said. There’s a few of us who get together and poke around the neighborhood from time to time. Welcome to the forum and hope to see you around on the trail and the forum.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Idaho has thousands of miles of primitive roads and trails to ride and just stunning country to ride in. TW Country for sure...

My private Idaho includes the Salmon River and Stanley Area......the Nez Pierce/Lewis and Clark Trail....The Magruder Corridor, Jarbidge, Birds of Prey....of course the Basin......I hope someday to hike and ride the Owyhee Area ..........Happy trails....unless you are a skier, Spring can't come to soon...(y)
I agree, Idaho is a pretty amazing place to ride. Last summer I drove the Magruder Corridor and the Lolo Motorway (with buddies, in 4x4s). Next time i am taking the TW on a hitch carrier to do some scouting ahead! I am preparing the bike for the White Rim Trail in Moab in March where it will be pretty much perfect i am thinking.
As an aside, I have lived in Idaho since 1993 and done quite a bit of exploring for my job (archaeologist for a company who does work for the USAF, BPA, USFS, IPCO etc.) and for fun. I really think the TW is the bike I should have had for the last 20 years. the KLR was good but heavy, the GS was just heavy, the DRZ was fun but not that great at going slow, my KX-250 was fun but just too hyper to ride on tight trails. I think the TW is going to be perfect.
Look forward to meeting y'all.
Chris Wildt
Boise

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on the 97. I also have one that am forbidden to sell by Mrs. Simba.
I also have a 2004- -the front disc works better but not a big difference.

The '97 in Moab.

I have broken two rear racks having a top box and extra fuel. I don't do that anymore. The Clarke aftermarket tank is enough.
Cool bike! Yup, that gas can be pretty heavy (especially in a rotopax). I am going to probably do the Clarke at some point but in the meantime i have a giant loop Armadillo 2 gallon gas bag that i use for my Tenere that should suffice for longer rides. The advantage of the bag is that it is so small to carry when you don't need it and it straps nicely onto the front or rear rack. What front tire are you using in these pics?

· Registered
2023 TW 200, 2019 YZ250, 1996 DR650, 2 Ozarks, Trailblazer 250, TrailBoss330
42 Posts
Welcome Idahopakeha--I haven't been a long time member here but this has to be the most friendly and helpful motorcycle bunch on the planet. Hope you enjoy that TW and what a good example of a well kept older bike. You guys in Idaho have some amazing places to ride. Here in Florida it's sand, sand, pine trees, and sand. But the Ocala Forest is good home turf so we spend a lot of time there. Enjoy this forum and your new bike.

· Registered
4,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As long as you realize this bike is a tank and not a motocross bike you will have a blast. When I have gone off road it seems like 2nd gear is the sweet spot and it can go through nearly anything. I have ridden mine mostly street but off road and on the trails it is a blast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts