TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I swear, this one actually could have some easy riding.
Last Group Ride survivors and I have been planning something for coming weekend.
I visited a possible level group camp staging area today in a campground that is seasonally managed. Seemingly open without restrictions to the public now, most of the year for your $25/night you get neighbors, an unlocked pit toilet and usually a nosy campground host.
Camp has flowing sweet spring fed creek. Very little dust today. Mostly old logging roads. Each day could feature a lake and a fire lookout tower. Local weather forcast:
[SUP]°[/SUP]
0%
E 8 mph39%
FRI

NOV 9
Mostly Sunny57[SUP]°[/SUP]18[SUP]°[/SUP]
0%
SSW 4 mph33%
SAT

NOV 10
Sunny55[SUP]°[/SUP]20[SUP]°[/SUP]
0%
N 5 mph39%
SUN

NOV 11
Sunny55[SUP]°[/SUP]22[SUP]°[/SUP]
0%
SW 4 mph44%
MON

NOV 12
Partly Cloudy56[SUP]°[/SUP]20[SUP]°
[/SUP]
0%
SSW 6 mph

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today the nearby lake was crowded, UTVs, RVs, Paramotor fliers...too much for motorcycle gang next weekend. Another spot another mile up canyon is a potential alternative.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was originally an impromptu proposal last weekend for just a small group but if interested give me a PM. . Small RV & trailer rated. 5,500 to 8,500 ft riding.
Currently this would be just off I80 near Truckee, Ca but another member is researching alternate warmer, lower spots on the Pacific side of Sierras.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Joe. Let me know of an opening in your schedule and we can build a ride around it. Might even take you for a night ride.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Looking forward to seeing where this ends up - I'm good for two nights wherever!

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
George, you're the only one still showing any excitement for this. Need to hear from the others one way or another. Group ride for two, or just re-schedule?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm down for riding, whatever the number. Always nice to have a NutJob(s) around, if possible! And always nice to have some off-pavement riding. Over half of my solo outings have just the ride to and from the destination. This past weekend in Midpines was nice because I was near Oakhurst where I had an event over the summer, and still had the GPS tracks from it, so I got a good 30 or 40 miles of dirt in. I'll take anything - the original location, your area, elsewhere...

If you decide to postpone, could you maybe give me some possible camping spots and riding areas in the original locale? ��

With no obligations outside of work, I want to put as many one- or two-nighters in that I can on the weekends. Sussing out saddle time and gear before Moab is an added bonus!

Edit: those night ride vids are awesome, by the way! *winkwinknudgenudge*

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Golly gosh, maybe we should meet out off HWY 88 , take PiPi Valley/ Omo Ranch, Elkins Flat turn and go about 5 miles or so and camp-n-ride in the woods around Gold Note.

Got to be warmer there, less interstate miles too. Too dusty there in late season for a big group but probably good for a handfull or less. Can focus on intermediate twin and single tracks, we can avoid the more nasty stuff.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, Team SanDue is willing to brave the cold! Back to Boca Springs?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ooo, Pipi et al looks nice! Looked it up on my map and it was already marked with the title "Fred Suggested", so apparently it's been mentioned before XD

I'll let you all pick. Any of the places already mentioned sound fantastic. But if the overnight is going to be 30* or less, I've got roughly 15 hours to order my sleeping bag from Amazon ... :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
George, you're the only one still showing any excitement for this. Need to hear from the others one way or another. Group ride for two, or just re-schedule?
Count us in. We don't take for granted Fred's excellent guide service. Sue enjoys the security of not becoming lost. She will miss that wonderful feeling we get after finding the way back. Ha. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
moon+rock_crawler+blue_frame_passenger_side.jpg moon3.jpeg moon2.jpg Moon Rocks outcrop per se is too small ( 5 acres?) and too technical to build a TW trip around and the few hundred yards of jeep roads between the rocks and much of the surrounding desert terrain are nothing special. I've ridden Betty Boop there, a fall on the rocks is quite unforgiving. It is for the extreme rock crawling folks to play around at 5 feet per minute speeds. Goal is an easy ride. moon1.jpg

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
George:
Due to you having to endure the cold in a tent I think we should let you decide between two proposed sites, although I lean towards Boca Springs...You know, right where the Donner Party trekked through before getting snowed in ten miles away and then eating each other.;)Ten degree warmer mornings might make difference between fun and misery. Both PiPi and Boca are about same travel times for you. Same for SanDue although Boca is 99% interstate while HWY 88 is a bit twisty.

Gold Note ( PiPi ) features dawn temperatures around freezing while Boca predicts a low of 18 degrees. Get that bag either way or let me loan you another layer or two, quilt, down mummy bag, synthetic 35 degree rectangular bag & extra ThermaRest.

Gold Note/ PiPI/ Five Corners/ Elkins Flat etc is about a thousand feet lower on Pacific side and thus warmer at dawn. Boca camp is around 6,000 ft and we will ride higher to 8,200 ft max. Daytime highs both around 60 degrees.

My only concern is running out of "Easy Riding" at Gold Note, area features some challenging single tracks that group may not be ready for. I do not know area well enough to avoid these difficult routes so my guiding might have to err on side of conservatism. This late in season the deep soils at Gold Note's lower elevations may be pounded into dust. Boca region is more of my back yard so can guide with greater confidence.

I am happy either way.

P.S. We aren't expecting Sue to cook for all of us again, are we? Her pampering with tasty chow is always a pleasure but seems like an imposition.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm down for Boca if everyone else is! 0* bag is on the way. I'll also test the new 20* bag and +25* liner. I expect no problems from the new insulated sleeping pad. I'll have a few spare quilts, breaking out the good old 4-season expedition tent, and have a candle lantern on the way.

What days/nights is everyone looking at? And where exactly should I point my trusty GPS for an initial Boca destination?

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Boca Springs Campground: 39 degrees, 25 minutes, 40.78 seconds North by 120 degrees, 04 minutes and 30.99 seconds West of Greenwich Meridian, or few degrees less west if you measure from Purple.;)

Take Interstate 80 to Hirschdale exit #194 , circle under freeway and stay left, cross Truckee River and head ~3 miles north following east shore of Boca Reservoir. At head of reservoir is right hand turn ( east) on Forest Road network 72 (immediately opposite Boca Rest Campground). 72 starts paved, turns to dirt. Take all left hand turns for approximately 1 mile. Do not expect to see signs. Campground is obvious. Will call Forest Service today r.e. campfires and group site.

P.S. No mention has been made of timing. I assume two days riding then we'll be cold and tired. If travel after dark after work on FRIDAY is unattractive this could all start Saturday. Once again I am flexible. No real chiefs here, we are all little indians with equal say-so. Normally I would suggest Friday through Sunday with the potential to stay over into Monday for those who are hard core.

Speaking of HARD CORE: Dale ( Boarder 255) will not come, he is too tired. When I couldn't join him for a ride this weekend he solo rode the ever so extreme Rubicon starting late in the day. He had to do last several miles in the dark without getting lost in the slickrock granite bowls, then ride another hundred plus miles or so home. Guess after I told him the Fordyce Trail is actually getting worse than the Rubicon he thought he would give it a try. He rode Fordyce ROAD, not the TRAIL previous weekend and solo camped Lola Montez Lake.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 186082 1) Sue will pamper us again with her fine cooking, maybe chitlins and possum stew this time.

2. Group camp is free, available on first come, first serve basis. If occupied by others there is room at nearby individual camp sites.

3) My campfire permits gets us right for a much needed fire. I'll bring some wood again. possum2.jpg

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I also carry my fire permit, so we're covered on paperwork. For timing, I'm good for Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun (nights).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts