TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to overload my rear rack.
A few years ago welds on a rear rack failed but no other damage.
This time both stock rear turn signals got destroyed.
Never again --not planning to have a rear rack again.

Here is my friend riding my TW200L:

Things still looking good:

Initiate trail side repairs:

Ended up having to remove the rear rack, box and fuel and place all on my Wr250R. I am glad we had rope and zip ties. Extra bolts and nuts would have helped a lot.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's a bummer. Have you tried a cyclerack or similar type that have a mount up at the passenger pegs?
Or just don't overload them.
I get annoyed when I don't have somewhere to carry extra gear on my bikes, so would hate not having a rear rack.

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
277 Posts
Ouch.

I have the Moose Racing version of that same rack design, with a top case mounted on it. Ride mostly on-road.

I think I’d swap the top case for a long tailbag straddling the rack & passenger seat if I was venturing off-road.

This rack design just leaves the option to put too much weight way out over a relatively weak lever.

Go off-road & once the rear shock starts punching back against the bumps, well... now you know.

YMMV...

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts

Ended up having to remove the rear rack, box and fuel and place all on my Wr250R. I am glad we had rope and zip ties. Extra bolts and nuts would have helped a lot.
Chillis is hard on equipment. You've seen what he's doing with his Monkey on the other forum so don't be so quick to blame the rear rack. hahaha

I have a couple of those racks on my TW's and have never had them fail. I have a Cyclerack which has broken a weld (twice). I had the cyclerack repaired both times but haven't put it back on since the second broken weld and put on a rack like the one you have.

Eventually, everything breaks, just not when you need it to! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chillis is hard on equipment. You've seen what he's doing with his Monkey on the other forum so don't be so quick to blame the rear rack. hahaha

I have a couple of those racks on my TW's and have never had them fail. I have a Cyclerack which has broken a weld (twice). I had the cyclerack repaired both times but haven't put it back on since the second broken weld and put on a rack like the one you have.

Eventually, everything breaks, just not when you need it to! :ROFLMAO:
As Chillis was riding my bike I could see that the rear rack was overloaded---and we were still on simple gravel roads. Once we hit bolders of all size I had him stop to empty the Koplin fuel can into the TW and the WR250R. But by this time the damage had already been done to the rack metal. Over the next few miles we started having to do the repairs. Carrying that Koplin 1.5G was too much stress for the rack. I may find a local welder to repair the rear rack but be very mind full of how much I carry.

Even though I have an extra set of stock turn signals I went ahead and put cheap LED signals one, but as predicted none of the signals are blinking. I have ordered cheap incandescents which should arrive soon.

I may also replace the Golden Boy front with a Shinko 241.

Back to Moab in May. Yeah!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts
As Chillis was riding my bike I could see that the rear rack was overloaded---and we were still on simple gravel roads. Once we hit bolders of all size I had him stop to empty the Koplin fuel can into the TW and the WR250R. But by this time the damage had already been done to the rack metal. Over the next few miles we started having to do the repairs. Carrying that Koplin 1.5G was too much stress for the rack. I may find a local welder to repair the rear rack but be very mind full of how much I carry.

Even though I have an extra set of stock turn signals I went ahead and put cheap LED signals one, but as predicted none of the signals are blinking. I have ordered cheap incandescents which should arrive soon.

I may also replace the Golden Boy front with a Shinko 241.

Back to Moab in May. Yeah!!!
Looking at you're other thread, a few of us were in Moab about a week before you and your posse. Fun times but getting very crowded in town. We went to the grocery store one day and the traditional Milt's on the last night. Milt's has become somewhat more efficient now ordering at one window and pickup at another instead of the same window.

Reactions: simbaboy

·
Registered
30 Posts
You need to buy a rack that attaches to the frame only, not the subframe or turn signal locations.
And what racks are those that do not attach to the footpegs?

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
I cracked the rear brackets on both of my Cycleracks. To be fair, they were reallllly overloaded and running hundreds of miles of rough trail to induce failure. The Tusk rack is sturdier, as it has an additional bracket further back. But I think the racks with down-legs that anchor near the rear pegs are considerably stronger.
Those small racks that attach to the turn signal mounts never really inspired much confidence. I wouldn't feel comfortable strapping much more than a tool roll and a couple Twinkies to one.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts

Same thing happened to me at Moab in 2015...with a loaded Rotopac on ...both welds broke...I put the original back on and now ride with a backpack if needed...

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
My tailbag on the rack is actually a backpack so as to be available as a fallback option should rack or other stuff fail and fall off.
Not sure if it would work should I fail and fall off though.:cool:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I very highly recommend the Tusk Top Utility Rack that @upnovr posted earlier. And it is about $7 cheaper at RMATV with free shipping. I like the flat mounting area much preferred over the bar type.

Marty

·
Registered
443 Posts
I very highly recommend the Tusk Top Utility Rack that @upnovr posted earlier. And it is about $7 cheaper at RMATV with free shipping. I like the flat mounting area much preferred over the bar type.

Marty
Bought one of those tusk racks one time. And strangely enough it came with a 2015 TW 200 attached to it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The nomadic is a strong choice for a small rack. Its main bracket goes to the frame underneath the seat then has three bolts that support the end of it to the fender where that rubber pad was.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just remembered the 1st rack of mine that failed was a Cycleracks where the brackets broke---I am not blaming them at all as, like I said in my 1st post, I tend to overload. I have to look at what the 2nd brand was. But I may get a Tusk now and hope I remember my lessons X2 well. Like Fred said I will only strap a back pack to that.

My TW200 is actually my Wife's bike, but she rarely rides it. I use it as a 'buddy bike' or a spare bike in case my primary bike has issues. The only reason I favor my WR250R to the TW200 is due to availability of Rekluse clutch for the former. If I could get it for the TW200, I would never look at another bike. Well, actually I also prefer fuel injection over carbs but that is another story.

Simba

1 - 17 of 17 Posts