TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 TW200
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends...

I bought a new 2022 TW200 about 1 month ago. This is my first motorcycle, and I love it.

I live in central North Carolina. It's pretty flat here. I'm not going into any mountains. I generally ride 80% road (55mph speed limit) and 20% gravel driveway. I still have the stock death wing tire on the front. I have about 400 miles on the bike and I dislike the front tire but i haven't changed it yet.

I weigh 265lbs... 1st gear only goes up to about 5mph. 2nd gear gets up to 10mph. 3rd gear gets up to 25mph. 4th gear gets up to 35mph. And, 5th gear gets up to 65mph.

When I'm driving in 5th, going 55mph, I still have about one inch of grip throttle twist that can get me up to about 65mph.

I have read a ton of threads online about how you can upgrade the sprockets and raise the top speed of the bike.

My question is: "Should I mess with the sprockets if I, a 265lb man, can easily get up to 65mph on the stock sprockets?"

If I do go down to a 49, 47, or 45 tooth rear sprocket, what gains could I expect to see? I hate 1st gear... It seems pointless to me. Can I change the sprockets and make 1st gear go up to 15mph and 5th gear go up to 70mph?

Thank you!

·
Registered
795 Posts
It doesn't raise the top speed; it only makes the engine work harder. One of my TWs came to me with higher gearing; not sure about the F+R tooth count but I hate it and have ordered a new chain and a set of stock-size sprockets. I also have an '87 and a '22, both with stock 14-50 gearing. As far as I'm concerned you can't get much better than the stock gearing, that the TW was designed to work with.
If you gear it so 1st gear goes to 15 mph, it's going to be horrible to ride. You would be better off just starting off in 2nd, than doing that. The one I'm about to revert to stock gearing is like that, and I have to ride in a lower gear than I can with my stock-geared TWs, in any situation other than top speed on the highway. I don't gain anything; it just feels like the engine is lugging all the time... which it is.

Reactions: Alabamacoastie

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
Put a 15 on the front or a 47 on the rear.

Cost wise it is cheaper to do the front but the cover has to come off and most likely it will also cost you the price of a gasket too or you can do the rear if you prefer but the sprocket is three times the cost of the front one. I went with the front.

Note: A one tooth change in the front is equal to a three tooth change on the rear.

You will find this to be just about perfect for your street/off-road ratio, I ride about the same ratio as you.

I was well pleased with my results quite frankly. I recorded it.

BTW, I weigh 50 lbs. more than you.

The video

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
On the street that front tire will wear out at about 3,000 - 6,000 miles. I never had a problem with mine on the street. It just wore out really quick. Off road I thought it was just me since the TW was my first bike also. A long time afterwards then I find out I could have blamed the front tire.

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
If your gonna fiddle with it, just change the rear sprocket to a 47T and test it out and see if you like it. This will be a cheap and easy experiment.
A few years back I tried a 44 or 45T. I spent a lot of time in 4th gear instead of 5th anytime the wind blew or going up even a small incline. I don't think you would like it.

·
Registered
2022 TW200
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the advice.

I want to go ahead and put on a 47t rear sprocket. Thanks @admiral and @littletommy .

I'm watching this video, and it says that I won't need to remove any links from my factory 122 link chain, just move the snail adjuster a couple clicks.

The bike is new, with about 400 miles on the odometer. Should I go ahead and replace the chain now too? Or is the factory chain good enough to use for a few more years before replacing later? I'm a little confused by all the after market chains. If you think I should go ahead and replace the chain now, which chain should I use?

·
Registered
2022 TW200
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put a 15 on the front or a 47 on the rear.

Cost wise it is cheaper to do the front but the cover has to come off and most likely it will also cost you the price of a gasket too or you can do the rear if you prefer but the sprocket is three times the cost of the front one. I went with the front.

Note: A one tooth change in the front is equal to a three tooth change on the rear.

You will find this to be just about perfect for your street/off-road ratio, I ride about the same ratio as you.

I was well pleased with my results quite frankly. I recorded it.

BTW, I weigh 50 lbs. more than you.

The video
Thanks for the video. That was really cool! I don't need to go 80mph, but your shifts are right where I want to be.

As it is, I feel like, as soon as I start rolling, in 1st, I need to shift into 2nd. I wish 1st lasted a few seconds longer before shifting into 2nd.

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts

I want to go ahead and put on a 47t rear sprocket. Thanks @admiral and @littletommy .

I'm watching this video, and it says that I won't need to remove any links from my factory 122 link chain, just move the snail adjuster a couple clicks.

The bike is new, with about 400 miles on the odometer. Should I go ahead and replace the chain now too? Or is the factory chain good enough to use for a few more years before replacing later? I'm a little confused by all the after market chains. If you think I should go ahead and replace the chain now, which chain should I use?
Since you are "experimenting" with the 47T at this point and the chain is almost brand new I would not change the chain yet. If you are extremely meticulous in keeping your chain cleaned and oiled it will last much longer but still expect to adjust it fairly often. However, eventually, whatever sprocket setup you use, you'll want to change to an x-ring chain because it will last much longer even if you neglect it a little (like I do haha). Still should maintain an x-ring chain as much as you would a normal non-x-ring chain and I'm getting better at that myself.
Like you said there are many different aftermarket chains and just as many opinions on which one to get and why. For no particular reason, I've gotten all of my x-ring chains from RockyMtnATV/MC and all have been DID. But as I said, no particular reason other than I wanted an x-ring chain.
Oh, and if you are riding mostly pavement with occasional gravel road, the stock front tire will be fine. Just be careful going around gravel road corners not too fast.

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
Thanks for the video. That was really cool! I don't need to go 80mph, but your shifts are right where I want to be.

As it is, I feel like, as soon as I start rolling, in 1st, I need to shift into 2nd. I wish 1st lasted a few seconds longer before shifting into 2nd.
Every thing I said was true as to my use and experience, but that video wasn't really mine, but it was someone's TW. You really will be much happier but don't really expect 80, but 70 could be possible. I could hit 70 sometimes on mine. It depended on how many donuts I had eaten that morning.

·
Registered
2022 TW200
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every thing I said was true as to my use and experience, but that video wasn't really mine, but it was someone's TW. You really will be much happier but don't really expect 80, but 70 could be possible. I could hit 70 sometimes on mine. It depended on how many donuts I had eaten that morning.
I will be very happy with 65 to 70mph. I don't ever intend to get on an intestate. I just want to be able to ride 60mph, on 55mph roads so that every single car isn't riding my fender, trying to pass me. And, most importantly, I want the bike to not be reved so high while doing it. I'm not worried about blowing up the engine, or anything, but I would love for the bike to not be screaming at me all the time.

·
Registered
2022 TW200
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Can anyone confirm this statement? I'm planning to leave the front sprocket stock and replace the rear sprocket with a 47t.

I won't need to remove any links from my factory 122 link chain, just move the snail adjuster a couple clicks.

Since this is my first motorcycle, I don't have any specialty tools. I don't want to break the chain and remove any links if I don't have to.

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
Yes bro, it will work.

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
I think you'll be pleased, it's one of the best combos for yours and my type riding, for guys who weigh a little bit above the average... ;)

·
Registered
2021 TW
358 Posts
I second littletommy. Went with the 47 rear sprocket from JT and replaced the stock chain at the same time. It will give a little more mph and take some of the buzzz out of the engine too. For me the frame,brakes and suspension arent too confidence inspiring at much more than 55 mph.
First gear is low but there isnt much you can do about the transmission.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
478 Posts
Can anyone confirm this statement? I'm planning to leave the front sprocket stock and replace the rear sprocket with a 47t.

I won't need to remove any links from my factory 122 link chain, just move the snail adjuster a couple clicks.

Since this is my first motorcycle, I don't have any specialty tools. I don't want to break the chain and remove any links if I don't have to.
Exact setup I have. I like it. Mostly street, I’m 165# with gear. It’s a good compromise.

For lightweights, they can go down to 45tooth rear sprocket (if mostly street), but will have to break & remove chain links for fitment.

That’s why I chose the 47T. Plug ‘n play.

·
Registered
2022 TW200
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exact setup I have. I like it. Mostly street, I’m 165# with gear. It’s a good compromise.

For lightweights, they can go down to 45tooth rear sprocket (if mostly street), but will have to break & remove chain links for fitment.

That’s why I chose the 47T. Plug ‘n play.
I really appreciate this comment. It gives me even more confidence.

The rear sprocket and bolt kit are on order. I'm looking forward to installing it and then giving an update soon.

Right now, I'm going on a short ride before I smoke a couple of large pork loins for dinner!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Tip: any time you un-clip the chain master link - make sure that the bike is IN GEAR.
That way the weight of the chain will not freewheel off of the front sprocket.
And when you replace the chain: you use the master link to connect the new chain to the old one (without using the securing clip) - then put the bike in neutral and pull the old chain through until the new chain is wrapped around the sprocket - then put the bike back in gear before you take off the old chain.
This eliminates having to try and push the chain up into the enclosed area to get it onto the sprocket and coming out the other side.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Fwiw i wanted to get my rpm down a bit while cruising in 5th so I tried the 47 tooth swap. It made more of a difference than I thought it would which was nice for cruising on flat ground but it took every bit of what little power I had out of 5th gear and noticeably hurt my acceleration. Now dont get me wrong, I assumed it would have a decrease in acceleration and torque but It was more than I had hoped for and so I switched back to the 50 tooth. With the 47 tooth, I was 100% full throttle damn near all the time. I think im in the minority when it comes to my thoughts on the gearing but I like the stock gear ratio. Just my two cents though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts