TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Fwiw i wanted to get my rpm down a bit while cruising in 5th so I tried the 47 tooth swap. It made more of a difference than I thought it would which was nice for cruising on flat ground but it took every bit of what little power I had out of 5th gear and noticeably hurt my acceleration. Now dont get me wrong, I assumed it would have a decrease in acceleration and torque but It was more than I had hoped for and so I switched back to the 50 tooth. With the 47 tooth, I was 100% full throttle damn near all the time. I think im in the minority when it comes to my thoughts on the gearing but I like the stock gear ratio. Just my two cents though.
At the other end of the spectrum, I have a 55 tooth sprocket and also pin the throttle most times on the road in order to keep up with traffic and not get run over. Not that it lacks power, just that I have to spin at 9,000rpm to reach the low 60's mph. On the plus side, I never have to downshift into 4th any longer when hills come up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Went 47T and for highway riding, it was win-win for me. Gave me a few mpg increase and a few mph top speed on flat or nearly flat roads. Plus it's easier on the motor cruising at 65, and can hold 70 without being at redline.

Don't think I would go any taller but 47 was just right in my opinion. Plus didn't have to shorten the chain on my bike at least, so another plus.

·
Registered
2022 TW200
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Went 47T and for highway riding, it was win-win for me. Gave me a few mpg increase and a few mph top speed on flat or nearly flat roads. Plus it's easier on the motor cruising at 65, and can hold 70 without being at redline.

Don't think I would go any taller but 47 was just right in my opinion. Plus didn't have to shorten the chain on my bike at least, so another plus.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for!

·
Registered
792 Posts
All my stuff (tires, sprockets and chain) finally arrived so I dug into my '07 today. The sprockets were 15/47. I'm replacing that with stock size, 14/50. 14/47 probably wouldn't be too bad, but the sprocket that's on it is worn so I'll go ahead and change it. I already know I like that ratio.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts