1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
If you post the link it would help

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
Seems to be enough fabric to pull the staples and insert another piece of quality foam or gel seat pad material under or over existing foam and then reassemble with new staples.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Engineering and installing an aftermarket seat should not be all that hard. What is the hard part is making it look good rather than just being more comfortable. Some years back another of our master rigging members showed a few pics of his Mustang seat on his TW and it really did look quite nice and super comfy.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I like the looks of that seat.....reminds me of a 70's DT series Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I like the looks of that seat.....reminds me of a 70's DT series Yamaha.
And my RT1-B 360. Nastiest bone breaker I ever rode!
Never try to race on a trailie...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am a newbie, so when I mess this up, please correct me. I have ordered a new seat cover for my 2002 TW200. I have two questions. (1) what is this gel pad some have talked about? (2) what lenght staple can I safely use for this project?
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I am a newbie, so when I mess this up, please correct me. I have ordered a new seat cover for my 2002 TW200. I have two questions. (1) what is this gel pad some have talked about? (2) what lenght staple can I safely use for this project?
Thank you for your help!
3/8 inch staples and preferably stainless if you can find them. Not sure what New seat cover you ordered and want to install but those who dealt with member placerload and bought the Seat Concept cover and foam have never needed the topper gel pad you mention. That gel pad is just an ATV seat pad sold in most Walmart and other big box stores and although it is an improvement it can't come close to the Seat Concept cover and foam.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
The gel pad I referred to is not the fairly inexpensive blocks of semi-rigid foam stitched together in an add-on cover and sold at Walmart among other vendors. Rather I refer to inletting quality gel material into the surface of existing OEM seat foam. Many how-too videos are out there. Can be done oneself with simple tools and skills, or pay for a professional service. The seat profile may also be modified to reduce or eliminate the down-sloping pocket at the front of the seat via introduction of additional padding under OEM foam
For example here is one of many videos for demonstration purposes:

PREVIEW

3:51

DIY Custom Motorcycle Seat & Gel Installation

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, GaryL! After failing to find the staples you recommended locally, I ordered them from Amazon. Stainless and all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts