TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading many posts about the issue I thought there has to be a better way.
I found it in the 19mm, six sided wrench in the TW tool kit.
No need to remove the shift lever or the piece of aluminum under the engine.
Hold the wrench square against the oil bolt with two fingers, a light tap with a rubber mallet and the bolt break free. Same thing the other way around. I thought this may help a first timer avoid the frustration of a rounded oil drain bolt.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
After reading many posts about the issue I thought there has to be a better way.
Hold the wrench square against the oil bolt with two fingers, a light tap with a rubber mallet and the bolt break free. Same thing the other way around. I thought this may help a first timer avoid the frustration of a rounded oil drain bolt.
I just did an oil change on mine again last week. I messed with a few different sizes and I had a 19mm 6 sided socket. It's a short socket hooked to a small extension. I just have to push the gear shifter down and it works great. You said it correctly, the 19mm 6 sided is the key.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Who ever invented those 12 + point sockets and wrenches should be shot! Sure there are some very tight places where they do have a purpose but all in all if the bolt has six sides then so too should the wrench or socket. The same applies to Allen key wrenches. I see an awful lot of Allen head bolts that are rounded over and more often than not this is caused by a loose fitting or worn out Allen wrench or using a standard fractional Allen key in a Metric Allen socket. If it does not fit snug on or in then find the correct tool that does fit tight so you don't destroy the bolt.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Agree.
It's not the quality of the Oil Drain bolt, it's the quality (or lack of) of the tool. Just use the factory tool as primitive and non-fancy as it is.

You can/could read this same exact same type thread on any motorcycle or automobile forum. Nothing exclusive here specific to a TW.

Oh, and don't Hercules the bolt back on either!!!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just as in life....sometimes the best solution to most problems, is right in front of our noses.

For Allen-head fasteners, I've found the best way to remove them without ruining them is to use an Allen socket (where space allows, of course) and fit the socket to the fastener with the tap of a mallet/hammer.
The "tap" helps to seat the wrench AND loosen the fastener in one move.
This holds true for most fasteners...if you can tap the socket onto it, all the better!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
This is the tool in my chest that gets the most use when ever I work on my bikes or other motors.

IMG_1734.JPG

GaryL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts