TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
August 23rd weekend has been proposed as another "easy" Tahoe/ Rubicon ride since everyone survived the first one. I would suggest keeping it less exhausting focussing less on Rubicon and ride nicer roads to north first in the Barker Pass area, Ellis Peak single track for the brave, plus cruising lakeside if so desired.
Half a dozen riders was a manageable number to keep track of considering trail dust, missed turns and misc. logistics so if numbers grow I may like someone to ride trail and help corral the herd.
Once again I can offer simple camping at my place an hour away from Tahoe as an affordable sociable lodging option for those traveling from afar.
So who else wants to join Joemama and Joeband and me for the ride of Joes? Everyone gets a name tag that says "Joe" since I cannot keep names straight.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright Brian!
Maybe I can snag that free CraigsList TW for you to haul home.
If you guys like the proposed ride great, but we can do other Sierra rides with more scenic remote alpine lakes and vistas accessed by smoother roads ( see "Summer Solstice" or "Stopped by Snow" vids ).
So who else wants a "Joe" name tag?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Crap! I'll be back in Minnesota visiting the folks! Once or twice a year I get to hear my mom tell me how fat I am! She can't help herself. No filter! Aargh!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Joechunks. Definitely thinking about it, but it's at a heavy 50/50 right now.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Admiral, these local crazies want a full ride through the Rubicon once fall lowers the temperature and crowds thin out. Maybe you can come and bring your mules to pack our weary bones out. Or since we plan to start from lower end via Loon Lake bring that charming wife of yours and her unstoppable ATV, load up Georgie and ride days worth of granite slickrock and sandy soils at lower elevations.
Actually for the road legal bikes there are many pretty lakes linked by good asphault twisty roads ( or "oiled" roads as an old sourdough buddy from south of YellowPine,Idaho would say...he was a 90 something mile ride from nearest phone, mail came by snowmobile and the pizza guy wouldn't make deliveries.) I once hired him and a string of pack horses to haul my snow-bound gear and about 400 lbs of rock samples from a remote mine. I didn't even get to ride, had to break trail on snowshoes with his horses hot breath breathing down my neck...I swear I heard barely contained snickering behind me as he chuckled at the hard puffing City Slicker ahead (me).

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Boy I am certainly close enough. I still need more practice/conditioning to become fully 'fledged' in time for the Redbluff ride. Seems for me, it might be a win/win as long as I can pass on any nasty stuff (Rubicon).

When Tony and Adam did the entire Rubicon a few years ago, I passed. However, my personal adventure hooked me up with, yet again, another section of the Old Rubicon. This is as far as I dared to go......... Gerry

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hey Gerry, I hope that you can make this ride.

Maybe Fred will be kind enough to plan out some leisurely, scenic bailout routes that you and I can take. A short section similar to that illustrated in your picture will be enough for me to claim "Rubicon Trail" bragging rights :rolleyes:!

Brian

Seems for me, it might be a win/win as long as I can pass on any nasty stuff (Rubicon).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So it sounds like, if I can make this one, I'll be riding with TW-Brian and Gerry! :D

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How much of this do you guys want?
We can do more reasonable trails in the area and still see nice country, the Rubicon trail is just a little worn out from use.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Rubicon! Rubicon! Rubicon!.... Was very fun and Josh's mudhole and that last hump where Bananachunks was were quite amusing. I'm pretty sure I heard Josh cussing. On both of those I was thinking, I'll go another route...:p. Evanjoe is in.....Really had a fun time that weekend. Both rides were fun. Fred? will there be any monkey shoulder left or did you polish it off after we left?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Brian beat me to it!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you guys seem ready for more? Come back, I still have more Monkey Shoulder liquid pain killer for after ride aches.
Sorry Brian, I never heard back about the free TW in Tahoe.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plan update: Joemama will be coming from lodging at Stateline, South Lake Tahoe on Saturday to meet rest of gang. It makes sense to meet him for breakfast , visit , then ride. If this is OK then we have a few restaurant options that sound attractive: I can highly recommend the Sqweeze In in Truckee; 62 plus omelet choices, funky Truckee atmosphere, TV famous, great food, big omelets but another 15 miles drive for Joemama. At the lake two miles south of Tahoe City is Fire Sign Cafe; a dozen or so menu items including a Joe Special I would order, funky Tahoe City atmosphere. Other Tahoe City options are few and funkier, all are a little small. Expect to pay $10 to $12 for resort town breakfast entrees.
I'll call and see if reservations can be made anywhere for maybe group of 6 (?)
So far gang is:
1) Fred
2)Joemama
3)Joeband
4)TW-Brian
5) Evan
6)Bananachunks (hopefully)

Who else? Josh, Jerry? Dale?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hi Fred,

I will most likely follow Joemama's plan and stay somewhere at Stateline/South Lake Tahoe. The Sqweeze sounds great to me and I would never, ever complain about a 15 mile ride around Lake Tahoe!

What about Tony and Darrell? I hear Tony has been making major improvements to the Parts Bike ;) !

I can't wait for this ride,

Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fred. I'm a hard maybe. I'll let you know closer to the time. But I'd really like to get back up there. Will hopefully have some more farkles/improvements done by then to make riding more enjoyable. Count me in for now.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Brian, the extra 15 miles to Squeeze Inn in Truckee follows the Truckee River as it leaves Lake Tahoe at Tahoe City. It is a pretty ride/drive none-the less. And of course you are welcome to rough it in Verdi, Mike doesn't snore that loudly.

I plan a slightly varied route to confuse repeat riders. Leave Lake Tahoe up Blackwood canyon , take dirt rather than paved option to Barker Pass. Continue west,NW exploring a bit to trail endings overlooking Hell Hole Res.then return for 2.8mile 16E16 z Ellis Peak Motorcycle Trail beginning @ Barker Pass. Singletrack then turns to jeep road descending to Rubicon Trailhead area by Mckinney Lake (14N40)
Now we can play on Rubicon Trail proper followed by more lakeside riding if desired.
P.S.Correction: What I had thought was Mud Lake was actuallyBear Lake, my mistake.

Gonna bring those promised cupcakes this time Boarder225? Just teasing Dale, I enjoyed riding with you last time.
Top of ride above Barker Pass is a little over 8,000 ft. elevation so bikes and riders might be sucking wind a bit.Joemama and TW-Brian will benefit from the additional acclimation of a night at South Lake Tahoe's 6000 ft.Bananachunks new Dial-a-jet might make him king of the mountain with a crisply jetted throttle response.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts