TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I know mostly everyone (including myself) here are not big fans of the stock front tire, but from what I see, most of you prefer the trials type front. Here is my conundrum, my bike is not on the road very much or for very long at a time. The conditions I mainly find myself riding in is mostly soft (sandy) or muddy (slick or deep clay-like) trails. Sure there are some rocks and roots and such, but mostly wet southeast muck or sand. I need a front with a little more grab in the soft stuff. I have been seriously considering the MT16 or something similar. If there are any opinions from anyone who ride similar conditions to me and don't care too much for on-road manners, I would be very appreciative of all feedback. Thanks again. Cheers.

P.S. - Mod(s): Feel free to move to Tech Help if you think that is a better place.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I only ride offroad. I find the shinko 241 great in all conditions so far. The best thing about it is it tracks and steers smoothly where more aggressive treads can jerk your wheel around on sharp rocks and roots. It is popular with desert riders and I love it for the snow. It is ok in mud in my limited experiences with it. The treads clear them selves well if you don't ride too slowly. There may be better tires for some conditions but the 241 is a great all around multi use tire. I had the 244 before and the 241 soft rubber knobs really grab like nothing else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a irc m5b evo 140/80-18 for my front tire (massive enduro lugs) , since installed it has rained here 4 out of 5 days and the ground is certainly rotten. This thing bites very well and puts a lot of rubber on the ground at any given time. I very seldom ride on road and I am very happy with the tires manners so far.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
The MT16 and the 241 are very similar, most riders could not tell the difference. The Kenda K760 is a much more aggressive dirt tire, as is the Dunlop 606. Some research is needed to determine if they will fit the front, I don't remember.

I've had the 241 for 10,000 miles now and it's perfect for my riding, but I need to ride the pavement at 60 to get where I can ride in the dirt. I don't do much sand and NEVER mud! Yuck! :p

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
606 fits, the wheelie king rocks it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all and yes I know it's a strange mix of riding terrain. In summer I have sand and hard pack and in winter, mud and clay. No snow, so it is either soggy, hard or sandy lol. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback. I think I am going to go with a MT21 (140/80-18) and a Shinko 241 and see what works best for me for varying conditions. Thanks again all.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
FWIW - Most people who ran MT21's in my area moved to AT81's (on KTM's and Husqy's). I have MT21's on my spare 701 rims.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sedona MX907HP Hard Terrain Tire im running this tire the last 6 months, snow, mud , rocks, gravel, packing lots of weight on tuff single tracks during hunting season, working great, no traction issues at all, i have ran the 244 and 241 on the same trails and conditions last couple years, threw them away,,,
too many front tire crashes with them,,,,

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sedona MX907HP Hard Terrain Tire im running this tire the last 6 months, snow, mud , rocks, gravel, packing lots of weight on tuff single tracks during hunting season, working great, no traction issues at all, i have ran the 244 and 241 on the same trails and conditions last couple years, threw them away,,,
too many front tire crashes with them,,,,
If you're not running a 241 or 244 at low PSI and not riding fast enough for the tire to clear it's treads of mud then I can see how these tires might disappoint. I ride winter forest single track in Atlantic Canada and the 241 has been like a mountain goat. The 244 is a hard rubber that is not well suited for colder climates although some disagree with me.

The large gaps in the side knobs on the Sedona mx907hp appear not so ideal when leaned over. I would also be concerned about hooking them on roots or rock edges.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
These both (241 or 244) have turned into "entiments chocolate donuts" in so-so mud more times than I can count, (not that I dislike donuts)!

However they both have their place in many conditions.. So two sets of wheels is the path I chose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you're not running a 241 or 244 at low PSI and not riding fast enough for the tire to clear it's treads of mud then I can see how these tires might disappoint. I ride winter forest single track in Atlantic Canada and the 241 has been like a mountain goat. The 244 is a hard rubber that is not well suited for colder climates although some disagree with me.

The large gaps in the side knobs on the Sedona mx907hp appear not so ideal when leaned over. I would also be concerned about hooking them on roots or rock edges.

1st gear uphill with 100 lbs of elk meat you can only go so fast,,,,again, i ride same super steep rocky muddy trails during hunting season for the last 30 years, have had all kinds of 2 wheelers on these trails, tried the 241, 244 and the 606, front end wrecks caused by slidding tires with those 3 tires repeatedly last few years, this year numerous trips numerous elk and deer with camp equipment, not one wreck,,,,
but this is just one guys experience with 4 differnt tires,,,,

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I am liking the look of these:
Sedona MX907HP

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
UPDATE - I ordered a Scorpion Pro. Should be ideal for 90% of what I ride. I will probably grab a Shinko 241 as well if I get more slab time. I'll keep y'all posted on my impressions. Cheers and thanks again.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Much like my kickstand post, I like to follow up on my threads in case someone down the line can find any of the information useful when performing searches, etc. Anyhow, just to conclude this thread, I mounted an installed my new front tire Saturday with a heavy duty tube. What a PITA. I need one more spoon. Oh well, it was successful just took longer than expected. The tire is amazing. Went for a short ride and it was a very noticeable positive difference. Again, for anyone wondering I ride primarily red clay mud in winter and a lot of sand and mixed soft conditions in summer. I almost never road ride this bike more than a few miles. Pics are always welcome, right? It's a Pirelli Scorpion Pro 140/80-18 and a Michelin Off-Road / Dual Sport Ultra Heavy-Duty Motorcycle Tube. Cheers.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Anything is likely better than the stock Trail Wing., a.k.a.DeathWing
Both these recent suggestions look to have great mud capabilities. Wonder how their handling is though when laid over at speed while canyon carving a twisty blacktop when aggressively engaged in the other half of the dual sport experience.

Sedona MX907HP sedona.jpeg

Pirelli Scorpion Pro 140/80 - 18 pirelli.jpeg

·
Registered
303 Posts
I ran a 130/90 D606 on the front of my last TW, which also had a Duro on the back. It fits the front wheel/fender fine without rubbing. It's actually a fair bit taller than the OEM tire to the point it not only cancels out the speedo error, but actually went the other way, now the dash read less MPH than actual. 50 indicated was closer to 55, which was it's top speed with those tires on it. You would definitely notice the unsprung weight on rough terrain, and at high(ish) speeds on the road. It only did around 55, and even that didn't feel super stable. Spindly forks don't like heavy wheels.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Anything is likely better than the stock Trail Wing., a.k.a.DeathWing
Both these recent suggestions look to have great mud capabilities. Wonder how their handling is though when laid over at speed while canyon carving a twisty blacktop when aggressively engaged in the other half of the dual sport experience.
Excellent points Fred. If I rode more paved roads than a few miles at a time between trails, or at any speed, I definitely would have considered some alternatives. I think this front tire will suit me for 90%+ of my riding conditions, as long as I am on some form of terrain other than rock or slab. I won’t be leaning this tire like my Street Triple, that’s for sure. I’m sure the pucker factor would be very high lol.

Anyone considering a front tire this aggressive should definitely take note of the details in terrain I live in and ride, as well as Fred’s thoughts. All very valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Didn't mean to sound disapproving of knobby front tires, just pointing out that when we go to one extreme or the other of tire type we can often favor one handling quality at the possible expense of another. I think those are two good tires for the stated intended uses and the comment was only intended to encourage caution when pushing the envelope.
My experience with mild knobbies on pavement was always tempered by uncertainty as to just how good they would be when getting near the limit. Would they give me any warning, wash out, or just plough? Fortunately never found out as I would scare myself before they tires actually scared me.
Now I am hooked on the trials tires since they seem a match for the Swiss Army Knife like versatility of the TW...a compromise that performs acceptably well over a variety of conditions.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn't mean to sound disapproving of knobby front tires, just pointing out that when we go to one extreme or the other of tire type we can often favor one handling quality at the possible expense of another. I think those are two good tires for the stated intended uses and the comment was only intended to encourage caution when pushing the envelope.
My experience with mild knobbies on pavement was always tempered by uncertainty as to just how good they would be when getting near the limit. Would they give me any warning, wash out, or just plough? Fortunately never found out as I would scare myself before they tires actually scared me.
Now I am hooked on the trials tires since they seem a match for the Swiss Army Knife like versatility of the TW...a compromise that performs acceptably well over a variety of conditions.
No worries at all Fred. Your points were all valid. That front tire would probably be too much for a large majority of the riders here. Just works for my particular circumstance. I’m sure it will be terrible on pavement. I just really don’t have to worry about that too much. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts