TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more store closing in a long line of failed companies I have had the privilege of working for.

The Sears Auto Center I have worked at for the past five years in Fond du Lac Wisconsin is biting the dust. The main Sears store we are linked with in the nearby mall has been struggling to keep it's head above water for a few years now, and our meager profits just can't keep it a float any more.

This is the 4th business I have worked for in the last twelve years to fold up. The last one was the local Home Depot, and before that a Company that my best friend from second grade through high school purchased from his father just a couple years before the big crash. They had been in business 35 years. I delivered forestry trucks and equipment they refurbished and re-sold nationwide. And before that I worked over 10 years for a film processing lab that processed film for medical and commercial businesses. Gotta love the digital age, whens the last time you had a roll of film processed.

It sure sucks having to start over again at 47.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I got to do my 're-start' a few years ago. It does hurt. Saddle-time helps. Go ride!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just laid off from my job of 18 years in a sheet metal shop. Hopefully I'll be called back, but I think the place is going down sooner or later. There were 26 guys in the shop a few years ago now down to 7. Good luck out there, I hope you find a good job.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is no recession for government employees. Government is growing like crazy. You guys all need government jobs. The private sector is obsolete.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
First, Dingman, it does suck to loose a job for whatever the reason. I've felt that pain before as well. Good luck on getting a new job.

Secondly, Well, I'd like to know where the government jobs are if the government is growing like crazy. At my work (government) we've lost 10 positions due to budget cuts (yes we are aware who pays our salary). We've had to eliminate our midnight and weekend shifts! So, just don't get lost or hurt in the woods on weekends or at night or we might not be able to help you until Monday! Of course there are exceptions, one of us is on call.;)

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I remember when I retired from my Government Job, as Environmental Health Director of a rural/small city/town County back in 2002,,,12 years ago this week at the ripe old age of 53....they hired 2 people to take my place{seriously} and I didn't think I was really earning my salary as a one man unit....yes there are Government jobs that are deemed necessary, and many are, but there are one Hell of a lot of paper pushers, and butt sitting types that have jobs simply because its' the EEO thing to do....

And don't deem this as political, because it's not....my guess is we could cut Government by 40%, leaving only the basics in place in full status...fire, police, emergency, roads, highway, etc, and not miss a damn beat....been there done that for many years as I watched all forms of Government, Federal, State, and Local, grow out of control....my wife as a 30+ year teacher will tell you the same thing about public education....too many chiefs, not enough people really working....

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I worked for Sears Auto Dept in 3 different stores, one in downtown San Diego, one in El Cajon, Ca and one in Soquel, Ca as a mechanic at one of them, a service advisor at another and manager for the Auto Dept nights and weekends at the third one. The same thing happened to me and many more folks. We all lost our jobs, I was lucky as I knew other trades and got to work again right away. Your post brings up a bad taste in my mouth for Sears though...

Hope you get back to work soon bro, praying for you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
First, Dingman, it does suck to loose a job for whatever the reason. I've felt that pain before as well. Good luck on getting a new job.

Secondly, Well, I'd like to know where the government jobs are if the government is growing like crazy. At my work (government) we've lost 10 positions due to budget cuts (yes we are aware who pays our salary). We've had to eliminate our midnight and weekend shifts! So, just don't get lost or hurt in the woods on weekends or at night or we might not be able to help you until Monday! Of course there are exceptions, one of us is on call.;)

Government in Sand Hollow Idaho is probably constitutional and proper. It's not that way in much of the country.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The times they are a changing! There was a time in this country when Loyalty counted in the private sector and being in the government sector in an essential function was a good bet.

When I lived up near Rochester, NY you had lots of good choices in the private sector. Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, IBM and Delco were major employers. Almost all of these great companies are on the skids today. Even in the government sector essential services have taken some big hits. Here in NY we are closing prisons!

How ow can it not become a political thread when we continue to elect and reelect those who are turning our economy to Mush?

GaryL

Reactions: fielding

·
Registered
197 Posts
The times they are a changing! There was a time in this country when Loyalty counted in the private sector and being in the government sector in an essential function was a good bet.

When I lived up near Rochester, NY you had lots of good choices in the private sector. Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, IBM and Delco were major employers. Almost all of these great companies are on the skids today. Even in the government sector essential services have taken some big hits. Here in NY we are closing prisons!

How ow can it not become a political thread when we continue to elect and reelect those who are turning our economy to Mush?

GaryL

It continues because those who feed at the government trough are more than those who are filling the trough. It's that simple. People vote for candidates who will keep the trough full. Many would bankrupt their own government before they would give up their favorite subsidy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spent the day yesterday listening to customers complain about where they are going to go to get the free tire rotation they are entitled to for buying tires here. Then I look in their service history to find nothing but free tire rotations for the past six years since they purchased the tires. Not even an oil change, and they wonder why we are going under.

Oh, and you were right, going for a ride did help.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

GaryL
Welcome to a "free market society". Shareholder profits and greed are the gods of today.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Admiral, the rise in government jobs are, and I'm sure Hoot and others will agree, focused heavily in TSA, DHS, EPA and other agencies that are stripping our freedoms everyday, as well as HHS and others that "fielding" eluded to with entitlements.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Admiral, the rise in government jobs are, and I'm sure Hoot and others will agree, focused heavily in TSA, DHS, EPA and other agencies that are stripping our freedoms everyday, as well as HHS and others that "fielding" eluded to with entitlements.

The decay began when people discovered they could vote money into their own pockets."

Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams.

The Constitution allows more freedom than immoral people can handle. Therefore freedoms have to be curtailed.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The decay began when people discovered they could vote money into their own pockets."

Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams.

The Constitution allows more freedom than immoral people can handle. Therefore freedoms have to be curtailed.
There is no need to curtail freedoms. There is always Amendment 2. Those poking holes in the trough would be much less likely to do so if they had to pay with their lifestyles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts