TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
How many of you change your brake lines every four years as advised by fortnine? How many instead change to a braided stainless steel line for a 50% initial cost premium but likely an indefinite service life extension? How many instead continue to use a part until it shows signs of wear or failure?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
How many of you change your brake lines every four years as advised by fortnine? How many instead change to a braided stainless steel line for a 50% initial cost premium but likely an indefinite service life extension? How many instead continue to use a part until it shows signs of wear or failure?
No, I have never changed a brake line. It may be due on my 1986 bike. I never used a braided stainless steel line but when I do I'll not be planning to change it in 4 years. I am guilty. I run my parts until they show wear or failure.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've only changed one, on my 1998 xt and i don't think it needed it. i also changed the brake fluid and put a kit in the master cylinder and installed a ss braided hose. these where all 20 years old and if i hadn't seen one of these vids, i most likely wouldn't have done it, the hose looked ok to me. but, better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I love that guy!
And his advisers...he knows way too much for such a young dude. Ahem...:headbang:

I've watched many of his vids & learn something every time...and he's fun to watch!
Sometimes it's just a refresher of an old skill.
Sometimes it's something totally new...my favorite.
Sometimes it's something so simple, so obvious, I get embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I should have known that...or thought of it!

Case in point: Temporarily re-mount the footpegs *upside down*, lift the bike and insert some $11.00 Harbor Freight jack stands under them. Voila!
Adjust or lube the chain, change a sprocket, block up the front end so forks can be removed, or both wheels may be removed at once, etc....etc...etc...
Perfect for bikes where the "underneath" area is uneven and flat blocks or lifts are wobbly & unsafe.

Braided stainless steel, Teflon lined, hydraulic brake lines.
I'm way ahead of him on this one, have been ever since bikes came out with juice-brakes.
TW is now on the Handy Lift, and a Goodrich SS line & fresh *unopened* DOT4 are nearby, waiting for me to get off my lazy ass and install them!

Even new rubber brake lines will actually have a tiny bit of "give" to them as they try to expand when squeezed r-e-a-l-l-y hard. With age & temp extremes they will slowly expand even more.
This reduces the hydraulic pressure on the pucks, diminishing grip and extending stopping distances...to some degree.
Older lines can harden & crack allowing more expansion & cracks until...well, you know.
The line expansion also reduces "feel" in the brake system making it more difficult to modulate the line pressure for optimum braking. Usually not so important off road, but might prevent plowing into the side of an '82 Buick, driven by a blue-haired granny peering under the steering wheel while you're en-route to the single-track exit!

Here's a pic of the SS Galfer line from ProCycle. $75 plus ship. Various other quality DOT approved brands can be found online for $$ less and free ship. They should all come with new copper or aluminum washers.

EDIT: The SS lines will last long than the bike...or us!

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have swapped-out stock factory line for the SS Galfer on several bikes over the years. Great product and will surprise you how much more real bite you'll have with your hand-brake vs. rubber or synthetic rubber line.

Reactions: Darth

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hmm...you guys are making me think. I am always surprised when I hear people here complain about brakes on the TW because I'm pretty happy with the brakes on my 2017. Could it maybe be old rubber brake lines verses fresh new ones?

On my Ducati changing break fluid and lines is part of routine service. Expensive but critical on a bike that can go so fast!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Nothing wrong with the synthetic rubber-type. Just little or almost no expansion with the SS lines.
I'm not sure if I would go thru the expense for a TW unless the line actually needed changing. For a go-fast bike absolutely. The higher end one's usually come with them stock.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I just like all my bikes to be as good as they can be.
Like Melania says, "Be Best!"
I *think* that's what she says...?
Except, "Dammit Donald!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts