TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been eyeing Antigravity's XP3 jump starter for some time. I like it cause it'll jump anything from my tw to a 5.7 v8 and my Ktm if needed. It's also so small it'll fit in your pocket or backpack. Seems like a great item to carry with you if you don't have a kickstarter. It's also a lot cheaper than installing a kickstart at $80 shipped. I know it'll jumpstart a car over and over, that's not in question, but I'm wondering what you guys think of this vs a kickstart? Good idea or?

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-3/

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
My son got me one of these for Christmas a couple of years ago. I was very impressed with its vehicle starting capabilities and also for its ability to hold a charge for a long period of time without needing recharging. Like you intend to do, I would just put it in my jacket pocket in case someone needed a jump.

Unfortunately, the last time we tried to use it, it started heating up and the case swelled up and showed us its innards. Now it is completely dead. I understand that this is not uncommon.

It worked great until it stopped working :(.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Before I got my kick starters on my bikes I got one of these. It is 12,000mah 400amp starting and starts cars and the TW no problem. Plus you can charge your phone or gps. And it has a light. The claims on some of these chinese lithium batteries are sometimes exaggerated but they do work well when they are working. Walmart has a great price on them.

If you can't find a kickstarter then these are great. I would make two leads of 10ga wire and an EC5 conector on one end and ring connectors to go to the battery on the other end to plug in directly like a battery tender lead. Then you could jump the bike with out taking the seat off. The battery clamps plug into the unit with an ec5 connection and there is some safety stuff between the battery and the battery clamps. For safety just cut off the battery clamps after the safety devise and put another ec5 connector on the wires where the clamps were to plug into the ec5 lead from the bike. A clean easy safe jump starter. The ec5 conector is a high amp conector. 10 ga wire is rated to carry the starting loads. The plugs are polarized so you just have to make sure the wires all match when you solder them up. Red to red+ and black - to black. If you cut the battery cable clamps off cut it close to the safety devise put ec5 connectors on that so you could still use the clamps to start cars.

I was going to do this on my bikes but I have kickers now. You probably need pics of this and I may mock it up for someone who wants to do this as I have the stuff to make these leads. The next step would be to put ec5 conectors on your battery charger to match.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-Multi-Function-Jump-Starter-amp-Battery-Charger/46528407

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Pair-EC5-Bullet-Connectors-Plugs-Adapters-Male-Female-Losi-Style-5mm/607721402?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2342&adid=22222222227076927122&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=189966948365&wl4=pla-296039513018&wl5=9061201&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113515901&wl11=online&wl12=607721402&wl13=&veh=sem

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My son got me one of these for Christmas a couple of years ago. I was very impressed with its vehicle starting capabilities and also for its ability to hold a charge for a long period of time without needing recharging. Like you intend to do, I would just put it in my jacket pocket in case someone needed a jump.

Unfortunately, the last time we tried to use it, it started heating up and the case swelled up and showed us its innards. Now it is completely dead. I understand that this is not uncommon.

It worked great until it stopped working :(.

YMMV
They will send you a new one at no charge. Contact them and be able to send a picture. I carry mine in the car and have used it many times without problems. If you cant push start the TW because of mud or whatever, lay it on it's left side in 3rd gear and start it that way rolling the rear tire with your right hand.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
They will send you a new one at no charge. Contact them and be able to send a picture. I carry mine in the car and have used it many times without problems. If you cant push start the TW because of mud or whatever, lay it on it's left side in 3rd gear and start it that way rolling the rear tire with your right hand.
I already checked about this and they only warranty these units for one year.

Have you actually been able to start a TW by spinning the rear wheel by hand?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Shag can you demo that starting procedure?

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
An Antigravity Jump Starter will not get the engine running when a kickstarter will when you have any of the following problems:
1) Bad starter motor
2) Bad starter switch
3) Bad strarter clutch
4) Bad wiring
5) Bad fuse (?)
6) Internal short in main battery

The back-up battery works well for only a discharged main battery, will not provide a broad spectrum solution like a kick starter will.
However an Antigravity unit will shine at those times when using a kickstarter is physically not possible due to injury or position of bike. For example Friday I stalled my bike in a steep narrow deep cut near top of hill climb section. Bike and I were both a little overheated and the e-button wasn’t working for me. Unfortunately kicking would not work because I needed to cover both brakes to prevent sliding backwards, and the slot was so narrow my boot would hit the sidewalls. Once we both cooled down a bit the starter motor got the engine spinning again but shifting into first required a fit of finesse since left foot was busy keeping me and bike upright and not sliding backwards. I needed a third leg or repair to safety interlocks so bike could start in gear. Both my bikes will not readily start in gear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All my vehicles (except the motorcycles) have one now.
Wife and I went on a trip. Came back and the batt was dead. Went to the hotel office to see if they had jumper cables. Yes they said..hooray!
The maintenance guy came to our car, which was parked nose in up against the fence...no problem I said..I'll just roll it back so we can reach the batt. Well...I found out that her car which has an electric parking brake will not release without said electricity....and you can't shift it into N either without juice! Lovely...so the maintenance guy drove me to the parts store to buy one of these. As soon as I connected it I saw the problem..dome light was left on. Left in connected for a bit as it only had 20% life in it off the shelf. But it did start her car after a bit.

Maybe one for the TW would be good too.

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
A pox upon all automatic transmissions and other modern car ”conveniences” that prevent easy push or jump starting! Like the e-brake Roseburg mentions I had issues with a Cadillac with solenoid door and hood locks that could not be opened once the car’s battery becomes discharged...took a healthy battery to get to the failing battery , Catch 22!
Every car needs a new battery periodically, do you really want to have to be towed to the repair shop when this happens? Some remote places I park would entail a multi-hundred dollar tow fee.

Reactions: cowboyjeff

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Unfortunately kicking would not work because I needed to cover both brakes to prevent sliding backwards and shifting into first required a fit of finesse since left foot was busy keeping me and bike upright and not sliding backwards. I needed a third leg.
Been there, done that Fred. At times like those; where you need both brakes and to use your right foot - a linked braking system would come in handy.

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
Yeah Joe, a linked brake system sounds nice. Either that or a longer third leg;)

My summer job in High School was at a repair shop. Boss’s father had the Caddillac. As the most junior employee I got sent with floor jack,jumper cables and spare battery to whatever sleazy parking lot his pop would get marooned at. Jack it up and feed power in from underneath while trying not to get my hair caught up in the creeper wheels. Disgusting baby vomit mustard color, some sort of Poop de Ville. A real land yacht with butter soft suspension, nice couches for and aft coupled with a squeeling recirculating ball steering for that luxurious yet vague driving experience. Did I mention it’s smog trottled big-block gas-guzzling motor would diesel for some time after removing the key? That the Boss ran a foreign car shop? That it spent a lot of time at the Caddy dealership for warrantee work? 7d05e7d0885ca9153224acfb79bc823f.jpg

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Start the TW by spinning the rear wheel by hand???? I just might try it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an XP1 and it has started my 5.7 ford E-350, NC700X, TW200, 5.9 Cummins, 4.0 Jeep Cherokee and a coworkers Honda Civic. Even though Antigravity doesn't recommend use on some of my engines, it never failed.
With that said, all things will fail eventually. The Walmart one may work good enough and if it dies prematurely you can take it back.
I like the spin start idea though and will have to try that out.
The small jump start kits are nice to have and fit in the glove box just fine. If you think a battery may be on its way out. Throw it in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I already checked about this and they only warranty these units for one year.

Have you actually been able to start a TW by spinning the rear wheel by hand?
If you have a unit that you bought new and is now bulged, they will send you a new one with all the goodies free and ask you to dispose your old one properly. They will inquire about when and where you bought it.

No! I have not had to start my TW yet by laying it on the ground but I will before I turn into a pedestrian

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Shag can you demo that starting procedure?
I will do it and upload on YouTube asap but will probably be a few weeks, maybe longer .. Not that hard..

·
Registered
556 Posts
Spinning the wheel to start the bike?
Considering I tried to just turn the engine over to circulate the oil in my Triumph 650 recently (325cc per cylinder) I wonder about that.
I could not get it past compression.
I removed the plugs and could do it then but there was no "spinning" it was a hard job just rotating it.

I have a jump box and I find it very handy because I can take it with me on the bike I am riding.
Adding a kick starter to the TW would be nice, but that won't help my other bikes that don't have kickers.

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I also have an XP1, got is a couple years ago and i'm not totally impressed with it. One thing i have noticed is on larger engines it wont jump it if the battery is totally dead, its max 400a which is not enough if the battery is totally flat. It works great if the vehicle will slow crank or almost crank but if its just clicking the solonoid its a no go. It has failed to start my old 5.3l v8, my brother in laws 5.3l v8 and my buddies 5.7 Hemi when they had totally flat batteries, it would not even crank them. It also failed to jump my 2.5l v6 outboard last summer when i killed it by leaving electronics on overnight by mistake. All 4 of these need way more than 400amps, my Optimax outboard need over 1000cca just to spin.

That said it has worked fantastic for my bikes, my Ducati specifically and my lawn tractor as well. I carry it on my Ducati wherever i go, it fits under the seat. The TW i never carry it ever, i have kick starts on both of mine.

As far as application on a TW, i personally prefer a kicker. It always works, you never have to remember to charge it, you wont forget and leave it home and you don't have to take the seat off to make it work. I would hate to have to remove the seat trail side in a mud puddle or something like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts