TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

Registered
I wanted to like the Spyder but after a test ride their a no-go. The full dress one we rode killed my lower back in short order and the wife felt she had to hang on for dear life. Also the front end would wobble and and track
any kind of groove in the pavement. This was with a new steering stabilizer system too! Perhaps a different model would have been better but you would think the top of the line should have no issues. That said there are
a bunch of them around here and the owners seem happy. Best I can tell you is take a hi-way not a parking lot test ride and decide for yourself.

Registered
I've talked to a few Harley Trikester owners and they are very happy with their choice. Seems Harley spent alot of R&D time and got it right. Steering is light and the trunk is large without being bulkey. Just expect to pay a heavy price for one. Another good choice would be a GL-1800 with a good trike kit. Make sure it has the raked out triple trees on it as the steering effort is much less than without them. Around here you will find plenty for sale used in
very good shape with lots of wing farkles.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the advice Gentlemen. I talked to a friend who briefly had one that he had bought for his wife here in town. She did use it around town for about a year, but hated it on the highway. He also said it tracked all over the place if you were going over 45 or 50. He took it on the highway once and it was all over the road. He got off at the next exit and said never again. My guess is that with the rear wheel being centered on the bike and if you are riding on older roads that might have a bit of "wagon wheel tracks" in it, that the rear wheel wants to roll up and down the mound if you are not exactly centered on top of it and then that makes the front want to turn right or left slightly. That being said, along with some mysterious electrical problems that have happened on some bikes, that this isn't the right bike for baby sister. I guess I'll take her out to Harley :mad: and see what they have. 25 or 30 grand is a lot to pay for a basic trike with hundred year old technology. The slingshot seems interesting, I've heard no one really knows how to work on them much yet. What other trike makers do we have out there that won't be too much of a bike for her? Thanks for the help guys!!

Registered
LT, if you are serious, and want the best trike for the lowest dollars spent, do as Xracer suggested, and find a used Honda Goldwing trike. The more modern ones are the Goldwing 1800, fuel injected 1832 cc flat six, with tons of torque, and reverse built into it from the factory.

The older ones are the Goldwing 1500s. They are a carb'd...1520 cc, flat six, ansd still have lots of torque. Most of those also have reverse on them from Honda.

You can spend twice as much for an HD trike, even used, because of the name.

But the aftermarket manufacturers of trikes have concentrated on the Honda Goldwing as their Gold Standard for making these trikes, as they sell 10 to 1 of Goldwing trikes to any other brand.

Lots to choose from, but buy used...not new. Before you make a purchase, talk to me, and let me look at it for you.
100% Right!! I'd go online and check in your state for a Haus of Trikes or a Honda shop that does such work. I'm very sure you will find such a place.

Registered
My good friend has a Slingshot.
Pro:
It looks different.
Cons:
Too low to be seen in traffic. Close calls are too numerous.

If you take the traction control off, all you do is spin the rear tire.

No real power.
Adding the turbo kit just ruins the rear tire faster.

Rode a Spyder once. Yes, they are all over the place unless the roadway is FLAT.

Both are useless vehicles, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #11
That was the only one I saw around here too. Seemed like a lot of money for a older used bike though...

Xracer, you make a good point about the driveshaft u-jopin, BUT........when they do a trike conversion, most manufacturers will remove the Goldwing rear diff, the swingarm, the driveline, etc, and use their own components.

While I have heard a a "few" Goldwing 1800's that had driveline issues, I have never experienced it myself, and I have owned 4 of these 1800's, and have over 350,000 miles...collectively....on them. The ones that have had probvlem are usually very high mileage bikes.

Have seen Goldwing 1800's with 500,000 miles on them.

The only one asdvertised on CL that comes up in aseqarch for LTs area, is a Silver 2003, down in Pasco, and they want 21K for it. It has decent miles on it, 59,000 miles. BUT.......on an '03....you want someone like me to inspect that frame, as there was a recall, and Honda replaced orrepaired a LOT of frames due to a bad welding jig at the factory.

Registered
Same experience here as everyone else. Test rode the Spyder and hated it at anything past parking lot speeds. The lean is not at all intuitive coming from a bike and felt very awkward. I could probably get used to the handling after awhile...if I had to.

The deal-breaker for me is the massive overkill in electronic systems plastered all over the thing. Sheesh. Am I supposed to be a mechanic or a programmer if/when it breaks down? Pass.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #16
Well.... the last good deal I got on a sidecar was after a guy took a right hand turn too fast and ate it. Baby sister is afraid of a regular bike. A trike would be safer right now. She needs the stability and she will never be interested in a regular bike. I'll get her on the TW first, teach her how to work the clutch, throttle, shifter and brake, get her comfortable, a little practice, then send her to school.

Registered
I remember the frame problem. Honda would warrenty the frame if it cracked or have it welded correctly if it was not. As far as the u-joint goes the California Sidecar kits we installed used the stock Honda one. As a trike kit puts more torque on it we inspected every one of them. Not all were bad but enough of them were for me to bring it up. Also when your ready to pull the trigger perhaps a trip south ( Florida) would be a good idea. I'll take you over to
the Haus of Trikes where they have a bunch of Wings with different brands of kits installed for a test ride.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Guys. DMC. Yeah, I've been to their site a hundred times over the years. I have a few years of Hacks under my belt, but Sue has no experience at all on anything. I think she would freak the first time she flew the car intentionally or unintentionally. I don't want her to get scared on anything right out of the gate. She might shy away from what could be something wonderful for her. I realize the Goldwing would be a dependable and great bike for her, but still, it's pretty powerful and I think more than she wants to spend, unless there was a good used one. I forgot DMC had used, so that is a good option if she went that way. If bike school had a sidecar and a trike and TW's, maybe I should have her wait on her purchase until she gets to try them all. At this point, I have her talked out of a Can Am, but she sure likes the look of the Slingshot. I did mention to her that a Slingshot would be a Man Magnet and she would have them crawling out of the woodwork to look at it and talk to her... (she is recently divorced) ;) I appreciate all the advice Gentlemen. Thanks so much!! :D

1 - 20 of 84 Posts