TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stepped backwards out of my work van Friday afternoon and landed in a hole. I caught myself before hitting the ground and continued on with my work no biggie. Woke up Saturday morning and my lower back was a little tight but nothing agonizing. I took a break mid morning to play golf on the Xbox with my son, maybe an hour sitting indian style on the couch. When we finished I stood up and took two steps toward the kitchen and my back tightened up so fast all I could do was fall to the ground.

I could not stand up let alone walk so I crawled to the bathroom and retrieved a heating pad. Camped out on the living room floor for the rest of the day. Long story short here we are 36 hours later and although I have managed to get into a recliner with my new favorite gadget "the heat pad" there has been only marginal improvement. There is always a dull ache in my lower spine just barely above my coccyx but when I straighten up or bend after straightening it feels like the muscles in my back are going to tear in two. Very painful! Any ideas?

Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Lumbar strain or pulled muscle. :(

·
Registered
667 Posts
I get similar ache as you describe but sounds like you really aggravated something. Take it easy and call a good chiropractor or massage therapist.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Sometimes things will heal up over a couple weeks if you spend a lot of time laying down and let it heal. Aleve?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try Doan's pills, they're over the counter and work. Get in the shower and turn the hot water on the affected area as hot and as long as you can take it. Also put SalonPas patches on the area of your back. They smell awful but help. You will be better in few days. A doctor visit would not hurt, but for now Doan's, SalonPas, and hot showers will help.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Take it easy and call a good chiropractor
No such thing as a good chiropractor, chiropractic is a non-medical non-scientific scam. A chiropractor is just as likely to do harm as good, from the sounds of things a visit to a real doctor is in order.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I
been there and suffered hard. Most success was always with rest rest rest. LET IT HEAL. Followed by
exercise to whup them muscles back into shape. The only effective pain relief comes from doctors.
I never had much luck with Chiropractors but that could be me. Being as thin as possible and as strong
as I can be is the only solution that ever worked. Re-injury is to be avoided! Physical therapy folks have
exercises to help target specific muscle groups. Take it serious as chronic back troubles will mess up your riding!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Geeze Tom, sorry to hear you suffer from just about what is destroying the quality of my life. It all started back 2 years ago from helping my older brother get out of his kayak. Twisted just wrong when he pulled me too hard and I tried saving myself from taking a dip.

I have been through the gauntlet with chiropractors that did me no good, pain pills that do help but I hate because they do not cure the issue but do dull the pain.

I bought a nice Teeter Hang up table that is a God Send. I also bought 3 large reusable ice pads large enough to cover the entire lower back from the top of my cheeks and side to side. You find them at a place like Medi-Fair that sells medical supplies and wheel chars. There are days when I simply can't stand up straight and days when I am in agony just trying to do the paper work after sitting on the throne. If I had to guess I would say that something in my spine is pinched or damaged and subject to re occur at any time from any stupid twist or movement I might make. I don't lift anything heavy any more.

The ice pack helps a lot followed by 5-10 minutes on the hang up chair. What I do find most beneficial is getting off my rear and just plowing forward through the pain. I walk the dog out back through the woods and usually feel pretty good when we get back. After I get home I find sitting and laying down allows my lower back to begin locking back up so I lay back down on the inversion table for a while and refuse to sit anywhere until I can lay flat and go to sleep. You don't have the luxury I have being retired but you will quickly learn to be mighty careful in your daily work activities. There are times when I can go weeks with no issue but what ever I did throw out will rear it's ugly head again and again in my case. I highly recommend that you go to a gym that has the Tetter hang up tables and try one a few times. If it helps after hanging from your ankles a few times and learning how to relax those muscles while hanging it is very possible you could pop back in what ever is misaligned. Hit the Craig's list and find a nice used hang up table and use it often after icing your back. One other thing that really is very helpful is I freeze a cup of water in a cup with a rounded inner bottom. My wife then wraps the top in a wash cloth and messages my lower back with the block of ice while I direct her to the offending spot where the knot is. When your muscles are hurt they swell and tighten up and the ice helps them to contract. Heat for me is not good ever while ice is my friend always. Once you get your back back in shape I will suggest you start doing some sit ups regularly starting off with just 10 or so and working up to what feels comfortable to you. You can do them on the inversion table locked in the horizontal position or even while inverted to numerous degrees as they have a strap you can adjust.

None of us here are getting any younger and these back issues I believe are directly related to the lack of physical exercise we do as we age. When the muscles in your lower back weaken from this lack of use it sets you up for these outages.

Welcome to the club and I hope you can get past this debilitating problem.

GaryL

·
Registered
425 Posts
The Doans pills are pretty good, as well as Bayer Back & Body tablets. But choose ONE of these...not both at the same time..

Good post otherwise but do NOT buy any Bayer products. Bayer is a chemical weapons company; they are partly responsible for creating all of the chemical weapons used in the WW2 German death camps. Putting aside their complete lack of moral ethics, any products they make even now are nothing but synthetic chemicals that will do more harm than good. Bayer aspirin is more dangerous than almost all street drugs, yet due to lies from the medical monopoly people take it and think it's doing them good. Not a chance.

I'd also avoid all GSK products as they're pretty much as bad as Monsanto (as is Bayer) pretty much any giant pharma company should be avoided as their products are toxic whereas natural remedies (Herbs, Vitamin C, etc) are highly superior. Just a heads up for those of you that had no idea!

As far as Chiropractors go....look for a holistic one...they're generally called "Corrective Chiropractors" They work with the body with health and nutrition, not with synthetic chemicals and excessive surgeries. A good corrective Chiropractor uses surgery only as an extreme last resort.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Tom, Sorry for your pain. I have had this issue a few times before. The first time it happened I had fallen asleep on the couch. I woke up and bent over to turn the tv off (yes it was that long ago, no remote) and it was if I had been struck by lightning. It took me well over an hour to get back to the couch where I slept kneeling on the floor with my torso on the couch. This had happened to my Father a while before and he was in bed for 6 weeks. I had 2 jobs and could not afford to be in bed. The next morning I had my wife bring me my weight lifting belt (kidney belt). I put it on as tight as I could get it, it enabled me to get up and walk the length of the house, then up the block etc. I was better in days instead of weeks. Make sure that you get the nylon belt with velcro, the leather belt with the buckle does not have the same adjustment. Also when you have the belt on you can fill in the gap along your spine with a rolled up wash cloth or anything that you have, I used a rolled up ace bandage. This belt has worked so well for me on a few occasions and it has been lent to friends many times. If you cannot get one today, pm me your address and I will overnight it to you. It works wonders. Mine is similar to this one
http://www.amazon.com/RitFit-Weight-Lifting-Belts-Inches/dp/B01ABD2F94/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1460381588&sr=8-15&keywords=velcro+weight+lifting+belt

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Stepped backwards out of my work van Friday afternoon and landed in a hole. I caught myself before hitting the ground and continued on with my work no biggie. Woke up Saturday morning and my lower back was a little tight but nothing agonizing. I took a break mid morning to play golf on the Xbox with my son, maybe an hour sitting indian style on the couch. When we finished I stood up and took two steps toward the kitchen and my back tightened up so fast all I could do was fall to the ground.

I could not stand up let alone walk so I crawled to the bathroom and retrieved a heating pad. Camped out on the living room floor for the rest of the day. Long story short here we are 36 hours later and although I have managed to get into a recliner with my new favorite gadget "the heat pad" there has been only marginal improvement. There is always a dull ache in my lower spine just barely above my coccyx but when I straighten up or bend after straightening it feels like the muscles in my back are going to tear in two. Very painful! Any ideas?

Tom
Tom: As somebody, thanks to 2 major Motorcycle wrecks over the years, who suffered back problems, MAJOR back problems, over the years, I can only tell you from my experiences.

Rest, rest, rest...DO NOT USE HEAT...it dries out the joints...Cold is the best way to go....ice packs, etc.

My problems began in full in 1987...had crippling back issues for 6 years, finally a D.O. worked with me, and with a epidural injection I was pain free{for the most part} for nearly 15 years....the pain came back in the fall of 2007, and the pain was nearly unbearable....I finally {after 3 months of pain} got another injection and within 2 months I was back in action...and {knock wood}, I have [for the most part} been mostly pain free...back pain comes and goes, but for the past 8 years, nothing major.

Avoid Surgery at all costs....and if you have no other recourse, make it lazer surgery....

Back Issues Suck, but yours, if you have had no major issues before, will likely go away with plenty of rest....Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Tom, Sorry for your pain. I have had this issue a few times before. The first time it happened I had fallen asleep on the couch. I woke up and bent over to turn the tv off (yes it was that long ago, no remote) and it was if I had been struck by lightning. It took me well over an hour to get back to the couch where I slept kneeling on the floor with my torso on the couch. This had happened to my Father a while before and he was in bed for 6 weeks. I had 2 jobs and could not afford to be in bed. The next morning I had my wife bring me my weight lifting belt (kidney belt). I put it on as tight as I could get it, it enabled me to get up and walk the length of the house, then up the block etc. I was better in days instead of weeks. Make sure that you get the nylon belt with velcro, the leather belt with the buckle does not have the same adjustment. Also when you have the belt on you can fill in the gap along your spine with a rolled up wash cloth or anything that you have, I used a rolled up ace bandage. This belt has worked so well for me on a few occasions and it has been lent to friends many times. If you cannot get one today, pm me your address and I will overnight it to you. It works wonders. Mine is similar to this one
http://www.amazon.com/RitFit-Weight-Lifting-Belts-Inches/dp/B01ABD2F94/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1460381588&sr=8-15&keywords=velcro+weight+lifting+belt
Jim...I had to sleep that way for almost 6 months back in early 1993 before my first epidural....in the living room, knees of floor, head on lazy boy chair....those are painful memories... :eek:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Tom, I hope it doesn't hurt to laugh. I went the route with the Chiropractor and after about 5 weeks twice a week with no relief of any duration he finally informed me my problem was due to the fact that one of my legs is shorter. No medical science there, it was the middle one!:D

Each time I visited him he put me on an electrical low voltage shock gadget for 15 minutes and then messaged my back with the ice block like I mentioned above. I always felt better after a visit except it cost my $60 each time and the pain came back in a few hours. Now My wife is a pro with the ice block and I can afford the treatments. I do also use a support belt similar to what Jim mentioned except it has suspenders and I stuff a couple small ice packs down in it and pull the Velcro closures as tight as I can get them. The reusable ones come in all different sizes and live in my freezer when not in use.

The worst thing about these back issues is the other issues caused by your back being out. Sometimes I end up with my hip or knee out because I was favoring the other side and other times it throws my shoulder or neck out. The inversion tables don't work for everyone so try it a few times before you buy it. I have replaced my bed mattress numerous times, slept on my knees like Jim and Hoot and even slept on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for a while. I have self medicated with tequila and prescription dopes from my doctor and I wish I had better advice for you, me and all the others who suffer with this crap. About all the medications do is allow me some relief so I can sleep and that includes LTs go to meds. Knowing where you live but it might be a bit too early but spending some time in a cold river, lake or stream just swimming and stretching things out might provide the best relief available. I have gone to a buddies swimming pool and get myself right in front of the place where the pump blasts the filtered water in and it works wonders. Rough on the little fellow and his pals but works great on a sore back.

As far as topical ointments go I think I have tried them all. Australian dream & Blu Emu don't stink but don't do much either. Biofreeze Gel is stinky but does give some relief and I buy it in the 32 ounce jugs. Just be damn careful in the sensitive spots it could migrate too and wash your hands after applying it so it does not get in your eyes or near the jewels.

Based on all the advice in this relatively new discussion it should be clear you are not at all alone but I will bet that the majority of those posting advice of what ever relief they have found are guys or gals who have crossed the line of 45-60+ years old. I will further bet that most of us do not have jobs where we are using our back muscles daily and as a consequence our back muscles are not as strong as they used to be. I never had any back issues when I was working my career or even after when I was doing heavy carpentry and cutting my own firewood all the time. This only appeared after I kicked back, slowed down and did not keep as active as we all should.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
^^^^Agree TW....the "Avoid the Heat" part was the recommendation in my case, especially for Spinal Stenosis....

What I used these days, for the most part is a "Digital Massage" piece...varying in strength and application, it provides relief in most moderate cases of pain, back and other....I try to avoid "pain meds" {well except alcohol} :p because we put enough crap in our body...but, but, at times of intense pain, you gotta do what you gotta do ..

I have a couple of these, purchased from E-Bay complete with multiple sticky pads, for about $10 each...

Digital Massage.jpg

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What an amazing offer! Thank you so much. I will have my wife pick one up for me on her way home from work tonight. I also can't afford to miss much work so I am pushing myself to get up and walk every hour or so. I am preparing to ice the area now since I have only used heat thus far. I have had minor back pain most of my life but being active has always held it a bay. This is handily the worst I have experienced and I sincerely hope this is a one off experience.

Tom

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom: As somebody, thanks to 2 major Motorcycle wrecks over the years, who suffered back problems, MAJOR back problems, over the years, I can only tell you from my experiences.

Rest, rest, rest...DO NOT USE HEAT...it dries out the joints...Cold is the best way to go....ice packs, etc.

My problems began in full in 1987...had crippling back issues for 6 years, finally a D.O. worked with me, and with a epidural injection I was pain free{for the most part} for nearly 15 years....the pain came back in the fall of 2007, and the pain was nearly unbearable....I finally {after 3 months of pain} got another injection and within 2 months I was back in action...and {knock wood}, I have [for the most part} been mostly pain free...back pain comes and goes, but for the past 8 years, nothing major.

Avoid Surgery at all costs....and if you have no other recourse, make it lazer surgery....

Back Issues Suck, but yours, if you have had no major issues before, will likely go away with plenty of rest....Good Luck!
This is exactly what I am hoping for! I golf, cut wood, bicycle, kayak etc..... But mostly I work, a lot. Thank you everyone for all the advice I am trying it all:D

Tom

1 - 20 of 70 Posts