TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does the TW have enough power to run a 5w radio? I suppose you could ride to the top of a hill to transmit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of handhelds or some of the bug out bags Commsprepper and USNERDOC use on Youtube with their own power supply. TW should be able to power a 5W radio no worries.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a couple of 5w Boafengs with extended antennas. I also have a home made antenna out of TV wire. You would have to figure out how to get it elevated in the field.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I got my technician license a month or two ago and have a handheld that I have been using to listen to the local repeaters sometimes, but I have yet to do any talking.

·
Registered
20,179 Posts
We should get Gerry to explain what sort of radio system he had at one time in his TW, the original Mr.Gizmo. I've removed some evidence of this installation like shielded wire runs after I purchased his bike.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I have always wondered, why are those type radio operators called "Hams"?
Do any of you know the origins of the name?
To answer my own question, I looked in the wicked pedia and found this.
The term "ham radio" was first a pejorative that mocked amateur radio operators with a 19th-century term for being bad at something, like "ham-fisted" or "ham actor". It had already been used for bad wired telegraph operators.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP]
Subsequently, the community adopted it as a welcome moniker,[SUP][14][/SUP] much like the "Know-Nothing Party", or other groups and movements throughout history. Other, more entertaining explanations have grown up throughout the years, but they are apocryphal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We should get Gerry to explain what sort of radio system he had at one time in his TW, the original Mr.Gizmo. I've removed some evidence of this installation like shielded wire runs after I purchased his bike.
He just emailed photos of his bike. I saw the antenna. I was inquiring about the seat. He did mention he sold the bike to you. I would like to talk to you about that bike. It fascinates me with all of the little lights and switches that were added.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yup, KJ6GCR and it seems, I just can't let go. Upgraded from a CB to a Yasue 1/5/10 watt 2 meter. Got my Tech. license a few years ago. Ended up not feeling all that comfortable making small talk with strangers so the unit was relegated to emergency use only. In stock form, the TW can provide lots of interference when the engines running. The shielding Fred mentioned really helped minimize the static.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here mixes (or not) TW and radio interests?
I'm a real HAM ;)

J/K I do carry at times my Icom FT817ND with me. It's in my go bag.

·
Registered
548 Posts
VE7OLD here, but I don't have a rig set-up at the moment. We had a very active radio club here on the north island but as the old timers down sized and moved away the club has faded. I use to use a program call Echo Links on the home computer and thru the wonders of the internet I could chat all over the world. When the old hams at the club got wind of this I got a stern warning that this program is what was ruining the Ham radio hobby as once the radio frequencies weren't used as much, they would be sold off for commercial profits. I was told to use it or we would loose it forever. I have a few handheld radios that you can manually program through the buttons and I had a dual band in my work truck for safety when traveling down island as there was a two hour stretch of road travel with nothing on it and no cell phone coverage. With the VHF I could hit the repeaters and use the club's "auto-tel" system to make phone calls via the radio towers. Thank goodness we never had an emergency in the fourteen years of traveling back and forth through that stretch of highway. I should dust off the old radio and see if it still works, who knows - might just get a call one day from old VE7OLD!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts