TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Northern California TWs

I'm fresh off a trip to Death Valley that was a blast, and I'm itching to do a group day ride. Hoping imortech, mrgizmo, etc will chime in weather should be nice this weekend. I'm good for either Sat or Sun. Coming from Walnut Creek area and up for driving 2 hours or so to the trail head if needed.

josh

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Sorry Josh, Gonna be in Reno this weekend without the black widow (waaaaa!). If you can't get a ride together this weekend I would be open for 17th/18th. Mike

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
hey josh,

great idea, but i'm off with my dad this weekend. we're heading down to los padres for 3 days. your speedo's working great by the way, thanks

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok,sounds like we have some conflicts, I would also be open for 17th or 18th assuming weather holds?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im in the process of getting my bike registered at the moment. It was just given to me not to long ago and I just got it running. Im totally new to the TW. Id love to go on a ride with you guys but I dont think Ill have my bike on the road for a few weeks.

Im from Sonoma. Where do you guys ride around here?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Go Sonoma Grapes! Saw them play the Pacifas in baseball in San rafael a few months ago. Anyway, I'm sure you have alot of nice riding spots in your area but we have been riding up north of you in the stoneyford ohv/mendicino forest area. Fun place to explore and ride. Mike

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Well, all you adventure riders pushed me right to the edge. If not now, then when, I said to myself. The bike is loaded and ready to go in the morning. It has been a few days since it rained, and a new storm is due the end of this week so I am heading to the West side of the valley and try to ride into the Mendicino National forest North of Paskenta. See what I can come up with. Gerry

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Well, all you adventure riders pushed me right to the edge. If not now, then when, I said to myself. The bike is loaded and ready to go in the morning. It has been a few days since it rained, and a new storm is due the end of this week so I am heading to the West side of the valley and try to ride into the Mendicino National forest North of Paskenta. See what I can come up with. Gerry

Gerry -- If you get up near Leech Lake there is wreckage of a B-17 from WW 2. If you get to it takes some pictures. Tony

·
Registered
572 Posts
Remember; those two big, round, black rubber things with all the knots on them are supposed to stay underneath the bike. Oh; and have fun.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have fun Gerry. Looking forward to riding with you. Take lots of pics.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Good thing I went when I did (yesterday) as it is now raining. Spent a good part of Tuesday night mapping out my route on the back of an old bank statement. It was to be a clockwise loop of about 65 miles and mostly dirt (I thought).

Unloaded the bike in front of the sector headquarters for the Medencino National Forest (Paskenta). I think the last time I was in this area the now abandon lumber mill was still in operation and this small town looked a bit more prosperous.

The sun was shining brightly, no wind and I guess about 68 degrees. A block from the center of town, I made a left turn and headed NE on Lowery rd, which for some reason I assumed would be dirt. Silly me, if I looked at my topo map more closely I would have realized that Lowery rd. would remain at about 500 feet elevation for at least 20 miles. Around 'here' roads at that elevation are either paved (almost always) or gravel. As most of us know, gravel is generally a road surface that we can do without. Seems those in the know, maintain a very light hold on the bars and let the front wheel 'intuitively' float and the gyroscopic action of the rotating wheel generally keeps us upright. I forced myself to lighten up on my death-grip, at least so blood would flow to my fingers. I had to wonder however, how much gyroscopic force can a wheel turning at 3.5mph produce.

After a slow 20 miles, I started to quickly gain some altitude and headed from scrub to evergreens. The dirt road (s) were (all) so well groomed that you could drive your grandparents Buick along my entire route. There were certainly many opportunities for those with more insurance than brains to test the size of their testosterone producing spheres.

Likely, one of the reasons the roads, at least the ones I took might be in such good condition could be attributed to Winter closure. The Ranger that I spoke with when loading my bike back up indicated that before the surface can get to nasty, the road are gated. I have in the past come across so many dirt surface roads very badly rutted by semi-stuck four-wheel drive rigs. Then again, if you have a 4 wheel-drive rig, winter fun is seeing how far you can go down the muddy road.

As with every adventurer, here I am pointing off into the unknown. Even though I may have many of the electronic gadgets known to man, I am still inclined to mark my trail when in a new area (surveyors paint). A big weak point of mine is, though I have lots of gadgets, I barely know how to use them. As well, trail marking is simple and effective, BUT you need to be consistent and have a style that clearly conveys intent. I have lines with arrows (sometimes at both ends of the line). They are generally at intersections that hopefully show (clearly) my direction of travel. Should I ever need to rely on my markings, I suspect I would find them to be woefully short of ideal. Especially if it was getting late and I was nervous about getting lost.

Well all, thanks for all the inspiration that got me back out on the 'trail'. This trip I would likely have to be dedicated to the Desert Daredevils and Ron in Boise. Take care and here is a link to a few more photos. Gerry

http://s267.photobuc...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Looks fun and if I wasn't working would go with you. Let me know if you want to go back and explore further.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Hey Mike, I would luv to go back and finish the loop all the way. Next time travel clockwise from Paskenta up and back down on my already traveled section. Would need to leave very early from home and be prepared for the cold. Even though the valley was pleasant, I was putting layers on as I went up. Gerry

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0WfbmqHyAAJy06Jsiu2gRtZuqcEhevZty

·
Registered
458 Posts
Josh,

I will totally join, if I have the time and when the TW is ready. My frame has been fixed (very easy) and now I'm awaiting clutch parts, cable, etc. - she's finally getting super weak.

Sounds like there's enough interest and folks 'round these parts to get a good ride going.

I will keep my eyes out.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I should probably rename this thread, to "Anyone interested in a group Norcal ride on November 17th or 18th?

Thanks Josh

·
Registered
572 Posts
The sun was shining brightly, no wind and I guess about 68 degrees. A block from the center of town, I made a left turn and headed NE on Lowery rd, which for some reason I assumed would be dirt. Silly me, if I looked at my topo map more closely I would have realized that Lowery rd. would remain at about 500 feet elevation for at least 20 miles. Around 'here' roads at that elevation are either paved (almost always) or gravel. As most of us know, gravel is generally a road surface that we can do without. Seems those in the know, maintain a very light hold on the bars and let the front wheel 'intuitively' float and the gyroscopic action of the rotating wheel generally keeps us upright. I forced myself to lighten up on my death-grip, at least so blood would flow to my fingers. I had to wonder however, how much gyroscopic force can a wheel turning at 3.5mph produce.

[/quote]

Gerry,

You have got to relax on roads like that. Your bike wants to go the way you want it to, and it wants to stay upright. You've just got to relax and let it. I am by no means any kind of off road racer; nor am I a expert rider; but I would have no problem ridding any of those roads at WOT, and only slowing a bit for the sharper turns; unless I wanted to do a full on broadslide around them. I just keep my weight(what there is of it) down low, and forward. Being relaxed allows me to react, and maybe tap a foot down when needed. Trust in the combined dynamics that are taking place with your bike that get stronger with speed. I know you've probably watched some road racers in turns at high speed getting way down low, and leaning way out. that's because they have to in order to force their bike down to make the turn. that's because it wants to stay upright at those speeds. Rough trails and climbing rough hills are a different kettle of fish, and most often going slow is the key to success in those situations. What the hell Man; you want to live forever?

Larry

Ride on.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts