TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember ABC's annual American Superbikers Race? Part Road Race, part Flat Track, part MX...Hoochie Mama!

The 1982 race is arguably the best race of the best racing series...ever. Certainly one of the best! (Your results may vary)

Betty & I watched it live. I was screamin' and yellin' and jumpin' around...she told me to calm down before I pissed my pants!

Enjoy.
And don't piss your pants...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was racing MX when Magoo started out. At Carson City's T-Car speedway he lined up on a CZ250 with milk crates under each foot as he wasn't anywhere near able to reach the ground. He was such a natural and his riding improved incredibly rapid. I haven't missed any TV Supercross or Pro Motocross races for quite a few years.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That's cool.
Jim McCann/ABC Sports, wow.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for posting that race. Seeing how I was not yet born when it aired, I appreciate being able to watch it now. What a great format for a motorcycle race. I wonder what type of tread pattern they were running on their tires to best handle the dirt and road?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If I remember they ran Goodyear AT's. They were a soft compound dirt track tire that offered grip on dirt and pavement.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Incredible riding ability. Just amazing how they slid around on the pavement and kept racing. I would have had to pull over and catch my breath (and change my britches)!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The birth of supermoto. I do wish we had more 2 strokes burning up the pavement still. There's some weird approaches in the Superbikers era but it's awful cool to see how it's evolved. Watching Kenny Roberts stuff from back then is also a hoot.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also seem to recall they were running flat track tires in "Superbikers".
I've ridden a hopped-up Sportster in a tracker frame with flat track tires.
Lots of fun...very easy - and predictable - to ride & slide on pavement. Just as easy to bust your ass as well!
Back 'em in, burn 'em out!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've been a big fan of Nitro Funny Bikes with riders like Elmer Trett etc there is a fantastic documetary on the Norton "HogSlayer" that dominated TF Bike for years and won every major title with a Norton Commando motor

The bike was so dependable they only changed oil and plugs during the season and rings every year

TC_Christenson3.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts