TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had the shop get what I hope was the last of the gremlins out of the CBX (I knew the steering bearings were loose!). This might be my last weekend to really play before Moab. Looking to ride/camp/play within 200-300mi of Bay Area if anyone's doing anything...

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Unfortunately Death Valley is a good 450 miles from S.F.
I would think someone would be anxious to join Bananchunks on another Big Sur adventure. Or just a romp through the Santa Cruz Mountains...Big Basin to the Coast, camp at any of the county parks or just a day ride?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, if my weekend plans had stayed at both Fri and Sat night out, I would have been open to travelling a little further out. I forgot I have a Club ride on Sunday AM, so I'll be home by Saturday evening. I'll most likely just explore the Big Sur area some more.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Finally had the shop get what I hope was the last of the gremlins out of the CBX (I knew the steering bearings were loose!). This might be my last weekend to really play before Moab. Looking to ride/camp/play within 200-300mi of Bay Area if anyone's doing anything...
what year is your bike, i thought it was fairly new?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2018, bought a year ago this month. 3 weeks ago I got the bike back from having Rally Raid Level2 suspension/wheels installed. Also replaced the steering bearings with All Ball tapered. First issue was front brake squeal. Got rid of most of it, but some still lingered (never had this issue). Second issue was something hitting/moving when going over rough stuff, turning, breaking, etc, but didn't want to take it in until I confirmed no silly stuff was doing it (brake/ABS lines, any other cables within the front fairing, etc). Turns out the new bearings weren't fully seated. Once fixed, for the 2nd time in 3 weeks, I have a completely "different" motorcycle. Interesting part, is brake squeal is completely gone, as is "something" that was vibrating up a storm around 5k RPM. I was going to start ripping accessories off (windshield/fairing wings, USB adapter mount, etc). Turns out it was the bearings, or rather, the castle nut washer. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Another work weekend for me. My riding area is all burnt up and the forest is closed for at least two years.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another work weekend for me. My riding area is all burnt up and the forest is closed for at least two years.
Boo. Sorry to hear that Joemama. Hopefully no more incidents so the area can heal up and be enjoyed again.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'll be at Lake Berryessa from Friday to Sunday camping at the Steele Canyon campground, site 20. There is a 'fish-n-chill' kayak fishing event. MBF (money between friends) not a formal tournament. There is a bass tournament there this weekend though, Future Pro Bass tournament. $10 buy-in if you like to fish. They launch at 4am at Pleasure Cove on Saturday, so I hope they respect kayakers as they zip around the lake in their bass boats!
If you ride up that way, Saturday we have a AOTY awards potluck. (Angler Of The Year) Anyone is welcome, there will be dozens of awesome food to sample! Bring a 6-pack for your contribution to the potluck. It's beautiful this time of year around that lake but I don't know if that's too far for you from where you live to day ride.

BTW, your screen name, bananachunks, would be a big hit with this group. Bananas are bad mojo for fishermen on the water and chunks eludes to upchucking the bits eaten. Introduce yourself as bananachunks and you'll get a hoot or two! Ha!

There's even a 'Bananas Aboard Repentance Prayer'
Oh great Konpira
please, hear my plea
I am sorry for my mistake
A banana I brought to sea

it was an honest gesture
a noble means of nutrition
I had no ill intent
I brought fruit of my own volition

Please forgive my idiocy
I meant my friends no harm
We just want to go fishing
and go home with a sore arm

We beg of you to release the curse
upon which I have brought
In your honor I consume these bananas
a sacrifice all for nought

Konpira is a Japanese fishing god.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hah! That "bananachunks" part could be a hoot!

I will keep the event in mind and possibly check and see what's around that's not $30/night. But I'm thinking I may still head southward for fewer people and fewer dollars spent. :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ride was fantastic! Did a good amount of exploring with nobody else around. Found a nice, somewhat hidden camp spot with great views. Even had the pleasure of fire to take the chill off before settling down for the night.

bigsur4.jpg

View attachment 191874

bigsur3.jpg

How was the 'fish-n-chill'?

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Bananachunks should be an inspiration to us all to just get out there and DO IT with or without company! If no one joined him then it is their loss.
Looks like a mighty fine primitive Big Sur campsite above the fog and tourists...Relax in camp or explore ridgelines until the marine layer burns off. Bet it was fun. View attachment 191890

·
Registered
168 Posts
Agreed! Looks like good clean fun! Let's keep NorCal ride thread alive, hopefully we can pull together a group ride this summer.

Bananachunks should be an inspiration to us all to just get out there and DO IT with or without company! If no one joined him then it is their loss.
Looks like a mighty fine primitive Big Sur campsite above the fog and tourists...Relax in camp or explore ridgelines until the marine layer burns off. Bet it was fun. View attachment 191890

1 - 14 of 14 Posts