TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any older rider will tell you there is a HUGE gaping hole in the motorcycle markets of 2014.
We have lost Hodaka, Bridgestone, NSU, DKW, Kreidler, James, Penton, and dozens of other motorcycle brands over the last forty years. The one characteristic of a huge majority of those brands that disappeared was they all had engines of under 350 cc's.

Have a look at this new market entry = it is really a Zongshen out of China but it is being marketed in Russia by the firm who produced DKW taken from Germany by Russia after WWII as a part of the reparations

M1nsk TRX 300i - Ready for a 250cc Adventure Bike? » ADV Pulse

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
There certainly is a shortage of decent small displacement motorcycles. That is an interesting motorcycle on that link. I hope they don't import it here, I might have to buy one!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been in a few bike shops lately, it really amazes me how hard the big companies are chasing an ever-shrinking market segment.
The ONLY bike I've seen of interest to the entry level buyer is the Honda Grom.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought for a moment that good old Vladimir was doing the ribbon cutting in the video to that link, and realized after rewinding that the man was older looking had more hair and had his shirt on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There seems to be a pickup in the small bike market: The aforementioned Grom, the Ninja 300, the CBR250, Suzuki GW250; Yamaha SR400. Triumph is testing a couple of new 250's.

I would really like to see some 400's. They all (for the most part) jump from 250 to 600.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Well, for the most part, the current crop of small street legal bikes in the U. S. of A. market is no more technologically advanced than the old brands you mention. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which is exactly why about 10 years ago I located and purchased a 1981 Honda CB125s

I use it for running to and fro at the cottage and going for the newspaper and coffee in the morning Honda.jpg

Absolutely no new technology but stone boat reliability. It has under 10,000 miles on the clock - I put new tires on - last summer rode her over 225 miles - perfect cottage bike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Being a short rider, I have never understood why manufacturers would completely ignore this segment of the market. Four years ago I went into every dealer in my area looking for a Standard in the 400-600cc range that I could at least tippy-toe on. Most salesmen led me right over to the Cruisers, I don't think they understood that I had said I wanted a Standard. I found only one, the Royal Enfield which was a 500cc but something just didn't fit right, can't remember what but something was hitting one of my legs. I told each dealer to let their reps. know they are really missing a huge "womens" market by only offering Cruisers in low seat heights. I finally ended up with my beloved Triumph, which is an 865cc and heavier than I really wanted. I did have it lowered a little and had the seat customized to lower it a bit too.
My ideal motorcycle would have been the same bike in the 400-600cc range which now it seems Yamaha is slated to offer.
Fast forward to off-road bikes....girlfriends and I all decided we wanted to start riding some logging trails so we need to get dual sports. That led me to the TW200 but my girlfriends watch all the adventure films so of course they are now proud owners of 800 & 1200cc BMW's. They were encouraging me to get a 650 or 700cc BMW low version. In my opinion, those bikes ares still heavier than I want for off-road so the TW was my clear choice. I have been wishing there would be something that fits me in the 300-400cc range only to allow me to be a bit more comfortable on the highway and it looks like the manufacturers may finally be getting a clue. :D

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I would highly recommend a cam and springs in a TW200 to improve highway performance for IB rides.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I wish they would bring back a nice simple air cooled two stroke trail bike with a seat height lower than 38 inches. My 30" inseam and bum knees rules out the current crop. Of couse a 400cc T-Dub would be real nice!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would highly recommend a cam and springs in a TW200 to improve highway performance for IB rides.
Qwerty, I value your opinion and would like to know what cam and springs you would recommend. I would only be interested in changing the cam if I could maintain the low and mid-range torque.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Qwerty, I value your opinion and would like to know what cam and springs you would recommend. I would only be interested in changing the cam if I could maintain the low and mid-range torque.
I used a Webcam #89 for a TT-R 230 in Tdub2, but 67 more cc, EFI, and a custom exhaust tuned for a fat powerband tames it well. There is a milder cam available.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used a Webcam #89 for a TT-R 230 in Tdub2, but 67 more cc, EFI, and a custom exhaust tuned for a fat powerband tames it well. There is a milder cam available.
Thanks for the information. I am gathering parts for an engine build and I am always interested to find out what has worked for others. I would love to visit with you if I travel near your area.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You said it all in your Title for this post... "Any Older Rider will tell you."

Problem is, Older Riders are a vanishing breed (like these bikes). Take a look at the demographic survey I posted here (with now almost 1,000 responses). Most of the TW riders represented here are in there 50's and 60's. Sadly, we do not represent the mainstream motorcycle market and so the manufacturers are not going to make products for a niche group like us. Crotch-rockets and Harleys are what sell now and so that's what you typically see anymore. No matter I say. Old guys riding old bikes... It's a beautiful thing! :D

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
You said it all in your Title for this post... "Any Older Rider will tell you."

Problem is, Older Riders are a vanishing breed (like these bikes). Take a look at the demographic survey I posted here (with now almost 1,000 responses). Most of the TW riders represented here are in there 50's and 60's. Sadly, we do not represent the mainstream motorcycle market and so the manufacturers are not going to make products for a niche group like us. Crotch-rockets and Harleys are what sell now and so that's what you typically see anymore. No matter I say. Old guys riding old bikes... It's a beautiful thing! :D
Guess they think us Old Farts are ready for Trikes and not Trail Bikes!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I've been to many dualsport/adventure rides where many of the older folks were riding 650s and bigger. I think most would have a lot more fun on lighter bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts