TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Any one in Arizona?

8K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Denn 
#1 · (Edited)
I am a new rider in Arizona. My neighbor and me both have TW200s and started riding in the last few months. Lots of trails in AZ. We also started a Facebook group for local guys. Facebook Group: AZ TDubs The site was created to find local TW200 riders. My goal is to do a ride some day soon with 50-100 TW200s in AZ. The info on the ride will be set up and shared on the Group so everyone will know. Look forward to learning more on this site. I just joined.

Facebook Group: AZ TDubs

#2 ·
I was there in January for a month along with a few others from this forum and will most likely will be back next winter.
If you plan to ride with that many bikes off road, it needs to be after a rain or the dust will be unbearable.

#3 ·
I have no plan at this time of what we will do. I just wanted to make a Goal for the Facebook Group. The Goal I set was to do a yearly ride with as many TW200 owners as possible. I made that goal after hearing of a group of 25 TW200s in Moab. Its just for fun and if it happens great if not we will still have fun. How can you not have fun with a TDub.

#8 ·
I'M probably the only person on earth in there mid forties and has never done any sort of social media, actually this is my first post of any kind.
You should be congratulated for that.

#10 · (Edited)
Some of the SoCal riders may come join in a ride over there. We have been to Quartzite a few times in the winter. The reason there were so many TWs in Moab was the variety of riding. Enough for several days to a weeks worth of riding.

#11 ·
I’m in Williams right now, been here for a week. Ridden 150 miles on forest roads. Yesterday on a labeled rough road that ended at Kaibab boundary to Prescott forest. Rough did not come close to describing it. Took over 10 miles to even come to a way out.

Crazy think was when I hit a major road I knew where I was.

Probably leaving Monday heading back to Illinois.

#14 ·
I know Facebook is not the best. The groups on there just make it easy to do club type groups. We have 31 members now so its a small group. Hard to make a very large group when its only for arizona guys with TW200s. If we get a big ride together it will be in the winter time. I will also post about it on this forum with time to join. For now I just want to grow the group and set up some small group rides. Thanks guys.

#17 ·
My wife and I are in Florence (Cottonwood Canyon Road) until next Friday, both of us with TW’s. We have obligations during the days on Sat/Sun but are available during the week for riding or evenings for hanging out.

#20 ·
I'm in E. Mesa. Will look for your Farcebook page this morning AZtdubs. I've a couple of "free" days this next week Admiral and Ms. What is your general location on Cottonwood Cyn Road? My Dodge and I need to be aired out. If you're so inclined I'd like to meet you folks. I'm working on converting my gal from her E-bike to a matching puffer for our/her summer break excursions. She admires Ms.A's abilities and,,,well her giggle.

#28 ·
AxisMatt, you’ve waited 5 years to post? Very unusual so I gotta reply.

Im in Yavapai county and we are currently having record snowfall. Last night the Sheriff was driving stranded locals home to Jerome because of ice. Many work in Sedisney and arent prepped to car camp.

The trails are very tough below the Rim, old mining roads that have been hammered by monsoons. Lots of ruts and rocks on trails keeps the riff-raff out but makes for a steep learning curve.

There are a ton of graded USFS roads above the rim from Rimrock to Flagstaff. Very easy roads going thru the forest. It’s all closed now till the snow melts.
The trees are very pretty frosted with snow.

Snow Automotive tire Tree Slope Vehicle

#29 ·
Hey Willys714, The most recent bike I owned for dirt and street was a 2016 Kawasaki KLR. I picked it up in 2017, and there's a possibility, prior to purchasing it, that I was also looking at a TW200. I have actually been looking at them seriously for over a decade but never pulled the trigger. So I might have joined the forum back then looking for some feedback, or maybe to see if there were classifieds.

Come spring, when things thaw out, I have every intention of riding those fire trails up north. I will certainly touch base with you and maybe we can get a small group ride together.

Matt

#30 ·
Matt, an easy ride with great views would be “edge of the world” overlooking Sedona. It’s like the Grand Canyon w/out people, guardrails or fee’s. The views are amazing standing on the edge of sheer cliffs looking across Sedona and Sycamore Canyon.
Sky Plant Cloud Mountain Ecoregion

At the bottom of ‘Sycamore Cyn is Henderson Flats and this area is isolated, beautiful and full of native arch site.
Henderson ruins
Also look up West Clear Creek Wilderness, everybody goes to Fossil Creek but Ive yet to see anyone while exploring this area.

#31 ·
Wow, that looks amazing. Hey, I know there are some jeep style trail books specific to Arizona. Do you know if there is something like that for motorcycles? If not, is there one of the jeep trail guides that has the best selection of places to ride?

In my youth, I did a lot of mountain biking and we used a guide called "Afoot and Afield" that was specific to hiking trails in San Diego county. It was so well done, that you could gauge the difficulty on a mountain bike by the score it had as a hiking trail. We worked hard to highlight every trail listed in that book. I would love to get my hands on something like that for jeep and cycle trails.

#33 · (Edited)
What you are looking for is called onX, Its an application you run off your phone. It has trails and all sorts of usable data. Also, you can look at the BDR website. You don't have to do trails specifically. You can use them as guides to explore off shoots. You can easily Import the coordinates into your onX app and do loops, trips or explore, you can even add campsite data to refine your trip. With modern phones NAV units are becoming obsolete really fast. An I phone an some QuadLocks mounts will have you going all over the place happily and on the cheap.

If technology is a challenge, then get the BDR Butler Maps. They are specifically made for motorcycles and are a great backup map. They are the perfect solution for luddites or more vintage fellows that get frustrated with tech gadgets ;).

Also I live in southern AZ. In between Bisbee and Sierra Vista, close to Tombstone. If any one wants to take a tour of the border or do the AZ BDR sections one, two or 3 I'm up for it any time if I'm in the country. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.