·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first 2016 Turkey.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Me, not this year though. Took my time off to rebuild the bike. Nice bird! Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
66 Posts
tmp_7406-20160512_123628573697993.jpg
Nice bird! This one was in our outdoor newspaper.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I am not a turkey hunter, but have had to duck quite a few of them as they have flown across the road at almost precisely helmet height!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Beautiful bird there golden. Lets see the beard.

Edited to add smoked drums and thighs are the BEST!

(Kind of hard to find papes that big now that that Cheech and Chong, Big Bambu album is no longer in print.

:D

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Registered
13,806 Posts
Nice looking bird ya got there!

I see some occasionally but don't hunt them. I was cured of hunting birds as a tadpole. The smell when plucking the feathers and/or cleaning the guts out cured me of the desire!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
My father and I usually hunt turkeys 8 to 10 days each spring but neither of us have managed a single hunt this year:( Bad weather, bad back and a death in the family have kept us both sidelined. Nice bird you got there. Was it showing any signs of still trying to breed? Coming to calls or responding to calls by gobbling?

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So after after seeing this awesome bird I started thinking hunting and called my buddy to see how he did as I kept missing him..
He sent me this! WTF Nazis in the woods at our club. This is literally the dirt road to our cabin 5 miles in. This was yesterday!
Worst part, looks like it won't be smart to ride there with cops everywhere.

New Jersey man arrested in woods with cache of weapons and 'Hitler mustache' | Daily Mail Online
WTF?

Is this what they do in New Jersey just for the hell of it????

The arrest was made during a sweep of a vast, forested area in Ocean County by a multi-agency task force led by the Lacey Township Police Department.
The officers were in the woods looking for trespassers and criminals when they came upon Post and another man, who were standing in a secluded area deep in the woods, Lacey police chief David Paprota told Daily Mail Online.
They just decide to go sweep a vast expanse of woods for criminals with no specific target in mind?

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
WTF?

Is this what they do in New Jersey just for the hell of it????

They just decide to go sweep a vast expanse of woods for criminals with no specific target in mind?
Well that's how they brain wash the public into thinking they are doing good. By labeling kids and grown men who like to ride as criminals.

The criminals are "off-roaders, bikers, atv' riders", every spring, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and any other day they can the cops get on their taxpayer supplied quads and bike and jeeps and go out and impound as many toys as they can, impose high fees to get your stuff back and they keep the money for more toys of there own that they are having just as much fun on.

Now there are some unscrupulous riders who tear up places they should'nt be and they have it coming but it's really become a joke here. No one is safe. Even on private property if you don't have the darn deed in your hand you have to go to court to get your stuff back.

Now they are down by our hunting cabin apparently... I don't know where I'll go... Anyway I shouldn't hi jack this thread...

I can't wait to get out of this place and get to a fee state.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
779 Posts
I hunted a couple of hours last week, the birds were still calling a bit, but it was half hearted. This weekend will be run and gun, trying to intercept them of thier roost, probably no calling.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I only got out one time so far.I think now that the weather is better I will get out after work a few times.I have pretty good luck in the afternoon.Last year I crawled a half a mile going after a big tom and he just kept going farther away or so I thought.I got a little impatient and looked up and the bugger was 10 feet infront of me.He ran off into the bush but came back to me 20 min later and again at about 10 feet looked at me just as I squeezed the trigger.25lbs.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My father and I usually hunt turkeys 8 to 10 days each spring but neither of us have managed a single hunt this year:( Bad weather, bad back and a death in the family have kept us both sidelined. Nice bird you got there. Was it showing any signs of still trying to breed? Coming to calls or responding to calls by gobbling?

Tom
The Jakes are still gobbling a lot. The big toms not so much. 99% of the hens are on their nests. We did a lot of walking. Still have 2 weeks left in the spring season. I won't make it back out though. Will wait until fall, Deer,Elk, Turkey will all be open at the same time. I can get 4 more in the fall/late season.

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
The Jakes are still gobbling a lot. The big toms not so much. 99% of the hens are on their nests. We did a lot of walking. Still have 2 weeks left in the spring season. I won't make it back out though. Will wait until fall, Deer,Elk, Turkey will all be open at the same time. I can get 4 more in the fall/late season.
Got a new smoker for Christmas and have smoked EVERYTHING except wild turkey. I need to get my rear end out there!

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts