TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Any photos of an attached "Garmin Rugged Mount"

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  grewen 
#1 ·
I thought I'd be able to just attach it to the "Ram EZ Roller" but it looks like it will need a specific attachment. Anyone with the "Rugged Mount" have photos of how it's attached to the TW?

Thanks,

#3 ·
Thanks Borneo,

It looks like it takes a different plate mount. I guess I could jury rig it and make it work but for 6 or 8 bucks I'll contact GPS city for the right part.

#4 ·

it takes part # Ram-B-347U a square plate w/ 4 screws that attaches to the rugged mount Ram 2" x 1.7" Base Amps Hole Pat
This is the ball for the back of the mount.
Also need a handlebar mount and the arm.
I have an extra rugged mount and an extra ball that I have not used yet so I have the package right in front of me.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I don't know what a Ram EZ roller is but I have the Ram Powered rugged mount shown above by Borneo for my Montana 600T GPS mounted on my TW with the stock handle bars. The cross brace on the bars does make it a bit tricky to get the GPS in a good position while not blocking the view of the gauges. I have it hard wired direct to the battery so when the Montana is in it is on and charging. I do like this mount and really appreciate the locking screw you can screw down or not as a safety device.

GaryL

#9 ·
I don't know what a Ram EZ roller is but I have the Ram Powered rugged mount shown above by Borneo for my Montana 600T GPS mounted on my TW with the stock handle bars. The cross brace on the bars does make it a bit tricky to get the GPS in a good position while not blocking the view of the gauges. I have it hard wired direct to the battery so when the Montana is in it is on and charging. I do like this mount and really appreciate the locking screw you can screw down or not as a safety device.
GaryL
That reminds me of the main drawback to the rugged mount. If it is direct wired to the bike, the GPS remains on even when the bike is off. Its not a big deal but if you don't remove the GPS from the mount there is a drain on the battery. I don't like to leave it on when I go into a restaurant for lunch, for example. Otherwise I think its secure in the locked mount as long as where its left is not deserted...you would need a wrench to steal it.
I can disconnect the sae plug when my bike is turned off and it kills the power to the GPS.

#11 ·
I figured the wiring would be pretty straight forward (A black, a white and maybe a ground, but that's not the case. You don't happen to have a photo of how you wired it do you? Did you simply connect the large red and small black to the battery terminals, green to a ground and not use the small yellow and blue? What about the audio wire (large black)? Are you using that?

Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Electronics

#12 ·
I can check when I get home, but I think the yellow and blue are for serial data and not used. The audio cable could be used for spoken turn by turn, but again, not some thing I'd use, so I cut all of those. I'm pretty sure I just used the red and black, but mine is not wired directly to the battery as noted above.

#14 ·
I don't plan to leave the GPS on the bike when I'm not riding, so will also wire it directly to the battery. Did you remove the tank for wire routing or just feed it through?

#15 ·
Its easy to remove the tank, and will make for a much better install. It would be hard to try to feed it through. I have heated grips and aux lights as well as the charge cable wired to the battery and have routed the cables by removing the tank. You want to make sure they don't get abraded and short out.

#17 ·
Here is a picture of a very simple aluminum plate that I made to create the mounting surface for my Ram mount. Was very easy! First time replying to a topic, so hopefully doing this correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice helpful first post!! Welcome to the forum!! :D

Reactions: Gerry
#20 ·
#21 ·
No - I moved it for this pic so that it wouldn't block the view of the mounting plate. I rotate the Ram "clamp" with the knob to the side so that it folds back until the clamp hits the handlebar strut. If I made it again, I'd make the plate a little larger to move the ram ball mount a little further from the bars and lay a little flatter. I can send more pics of it in 'riding position' tomorrow. Doesn't block gages at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

I share my Garmin between all three bikes. I only used the Rugged, hard wire mount on my Star, I switch this mount between the TW and Triumph.

#23 ·
I mounted mine on a plate also. the gps is very adjustable so I can see it and all lights and gauges with no problem. also on the plate I mounted my camera ( which proved too rough a location) and 2 switches for headlight and tail Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Cyclocomputer Technology Electronic device
light

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.