TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at maxi scooters lately......300cc--400cc . Underseat storage is a big plus to me these day's as is a center stand . So far Ive been looking at the Honda Forza and the Yamaha Majesty ( couldn't they have called it something else ? ) . Unless I'm mistaken the Forza has 35w dual headlights.....kinda strange , not sure of the Yamaha ,their site didn't say . Any of you have experience with such machines ?. Maintence perhaps would not be a huge pain ( meaning , oil & filter , air filter and CVT fluid ) but beyond that a pain could arrise ?. Any info would be appreciated . The Suzuki Burgman's are a bit too much $$$ but are also great machines .

·
Registered
464 Posts
I enjoyed my Honda Silverwing maxi scooter a lot. 600cc's, liquid cooled, fuel-injected, lots of storage, and very reliable. 100 mph was definitely doable and it got 53 mpg.

The downside was it was not as stable as a motorcycle and I missed shifting.

Lots of fun though.

Silver Wing_resized.jpg

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't as stable at 100mph or all speeds ?. The 600cc would be to much $$$ for me anyway . TIA

·
Registered
464 Posts
It was just ok at the ton mark. No canyon carver though.

I bought mine used for $3500 with very few miles. Be prepared to remove lots and lots of breakable plastic panels when doing maintenance. It ain't no naked bike. I believe that flat rate labor on a Suzuki Burgman for a valve adjustment is about 7.5 hours.

I don't think that 600 cc's is an issue. A 400 cc or a 250 cc would be just fine. Just be prepared for a different riding experience with the smaller wheels and tires and automatic transmission.

Maxi scooters are very fun rides until you attempt a stream crossing.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm tired and going to show ignorance...."ton mark"....?. Yea ,the zillion panel removal may be my breaking point / buzz kill on this . TIA

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Zuma 125 (actually you could say its my wife's!). I don't ride it much. I can't get comfortable with the feet in front position. Sounds like the Zuma is smaller than what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood rurindum . I've tried youtube and the like to find info on what is involved in valve adjustments.....what needs to be removed etc....no luck......the search continues . TIA

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Not trying to highjack the thread, but I have a question please.

Hey, you guys know anything about a Piaggio fly 50cc mopeds? My brother in Scottsdale, Az bought one. (I told him he needed a real motorcycle, he didn't listen) Anyway, now he wants to beef it up a bit and is wondering about any kits that will give it more power. I think he is not being realistic about it, since he wants to be able to go 45 or so instead of its 35 top speed. A kit would give him a little more ummmmpphh but he is still stuck with gearing that will only do 35 or so. I figure a kit with jetting for carb, intake mods? and a different exhaust is about all they offer. Are these available out there? Personally, I think he is going the wrong way here. He would need to have the cost of the mods, the $ for a dealer to install and for what? A tiny bit more power? After all, it's only a 50cc. Any info would be appreciated. The kid's a dork, if he would come visit his big brother, he could ride out of here on a beautiful HD or TW without spending a penny and have a real bike. Thanks Guys. I'll share with him your thoughts on this so he can make an educated decision.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Selling my 2009 Burgman 650 with 2315 original miles on it. Great machine. Fast, nimble, comfortable. Tons of storage space. Decided to change things up with the TW200 and a restored CB750 from the 70's or perhaps a Suzuki 750-850 GS from the same era. The maxi scooters are a do anything machine. Around town or touring can't go wrong.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had a Kymco Xciting 250 taiwanese scooter right before buying the TW. I liked stretching my legs out on the forward floorboard. But the bottom floorboard made it so hard to put my feet down. I'm a short rider so the wide board and top heaviness of the steering column and body was a nighmare. If i leaned the bike past 30 degrees at a standstill, that scooter would fall down so fast. Yeah, i know. I should go to the gym more. Guess im too busy riding. The street tires definitely made the scooter more stable in the high speed turns on the highway. And it came with a touring size windshield. I sold the scooter though because the power to weight ratio sucks even compared to a TW. And shifting and working the clutch is so much fun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For running errands in Boise I use an i180 model Segway. It has the side saddle bags and can haul a lot of groceries. Even a gallon of milk. With a little preplanning, I can go almost anywhere in town and avoid a lot of traffic. In one 3 week period this summer, I never took my car out of the garage.

I live in about the geographic center of Boise. It is about 4 miles to the edge of town in any direction I go from my home. My Segway has a 12-15 mile range on a single charge and it is said that it costs a little less than $.05/miles to recharge it. Top speed is about 12-13 mph.

It is a lot of fun to use. I have been interested in them since they came out in about 2005. Finally this spring I found a good deal on a used one with lots of acc. and I bought it. My only regret is that I lived so long without one.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can add some personal experience because I've been using a 400 Suzuki Burgman as my second car since February 2014.

My scooter is a 2004 purchased in December 2013 with 13,000 miles and now has over 21,000 miles, mostly since March. I would suggest you consider buying used because some of these scooters are garage queens and don't have many miles. The 2004-2006 400 Burgman's have screw type adjusters for the valves and the 2007 to current have shim under bucket design.

I've gone up the learning curve and done all my own maintenance on the scoot. Valve adjustments are straight forward but the first time removing the bodywork is a difficult (even compared to sportbikes). Now, I can remove less bodywork and have the valves checked in a little over an hour.

The 400 rides/drives much different than my 16 previously owned motorcycles but once you adjust to scooter handling it's great. I really enjoy the 400 Burgman as a car replacement vehicle, lower purchase price, insurance, and running costs than a car. FYI, my MPG is running almost 60 details can be found here 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400 (Suzuki AN400 Burgman) | Fuelly

Once a month I've been doing a 800 mile round trip from West Virginia to North Carolina on the Burgman. I can complete 400 miles in one day in 7-8 hours without too much pain the the backside. I would recommend a Airhawk inflatable seat cushion to help with the long distance travel, it really helped me to make the 300 mile mark with no discomfort at all.

The scooter is great for storage! Room for 2 full face helmets under the seat plus room to squeeze a jacket and gloves. The lockable glovebox holds 3-4 water bottles too and you have 2 more smaller storage areas above the glove but they don't lock. I added a 40-liter trunk on the back and a "hump" bag which secures between your legs in the scooter "hump".

I like everything about it on pavement but the small wheels and weight aren't much fun in gravel. That's way I joined this forum because the TW is going to be my play bike to get off-road.

Take care,
Bruce

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The first time my wife sat on a honda reflex 250 she wanted one so I sold tw #1 and lived on craigslist for a few months. Her favorite color is yellow and luckily I found a steal of a deal on one up by Chicago which is a about 230 miles away. I dont buy stuff unless I find a good deal. We went up to check it out. It had a few small scuffs from the ol man dropping it at a stop but other than that it was very clean. I snatched it up for $1900. 2006 with 863 miles. I road it around the block and came back and said I will take it. He said when are you coming back to pick it up? I looked at him a little funny and said what do you mean? Im riding it home. He tried to talk me out of riding it home. He had never road it more than 10 miles away. Anyway my wife doesnt ride it anymore and I rode it to work one day and have liked it every since. If me and the wife go for a ride we take the scooter. It has a bunch of room under the seat and it gets 65-70mpg. It will run 60-70mph all day long. I made a bracket for a bestem 929 box on the back and just put a set of oxford grips on it a few weeks ago. It does great on state highways and In town. I will run it on the interstate but not across the country.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
2004 and newer have a better electrical system and both headlights are on when on high beams instead of just one like the pre 04's are. I havent ridden any other big scooters but it rides better than I thought it would and handles pretty good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts