TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, I'm still in the market for a nice T-dub, but I am also looking for another truck to haul our stuff.
Looking at the SuperDuty Ford's...shopping for a 6.2 with the 6-speed automatic...but here's the problem:
The last truck I had was a short box and I found it to be unsatisfactory when it came to hauling the DR650; had to put it in on an angle, so that limited the amount and types of other "stuff" that we could haul.
So this question is for the shortbox (6' 9") owners out there....does your TW fit straight in and can you close the tailgate?
I suppose I could do some calculations and get out the tape measure and all that, but I figured there should be plenty in here who own a truck, and of those, there must be some shortbed owners....

So what say you?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My 2015 Tundra double cab with 6’6” ?bed fit two Tdubs and room for gear in between ,Generator and ramp, fuel etc.with tail gate closed.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Assuming the listed wheelbase is from the axle and correct, my math says a TW with stock sidewall should be around 77-80", but the internet says it's 82.3". I would not be surprised if that's including the rear reflector, which should clear a tailgate.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a couple 4X4 regular cab short box Chevys and I have no trouble hauling a couple TWs and a smaller bike with the tailgate closed …… I bought a new Silverado this year because I wanted a V8 ( I am old) only to find out that the aluminum constructed 1/2 ton Ford has a much higher payload.....much higher.... and as I haul a camper on the new one....I wish I had bought the 6 cylinder Ford …..

A diesel PU has never penciled out for me …..I have had a couple diesel pusher motorhomes and they were very very expensive to buy....operate.... and maintain... they were a real PITA but if you have to move more than 25,000 pounds in the mountain west....they are the ticket...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own two Dodge Dakota's, a '96 and an '02. Both have short beds and I can close the tailgates with my T- Dub in either truck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Keep in mind that there are typically three lengths of beds for Ford pickups: Short, standard and long. You should check the length of those beds, corresponding to the year/model of Ford you're buying.
Some sellers mistake a standard bed for a short bed, and vice-versa.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got a '15 Colorado when the new ones came out, the extended cab is 6' 2". Fits the TW easy with room to spare, I'd say anything 6' and higher you're good.

If Chevy or Ford come out with the Montana or Courier in the US, I feel like that would be the ideal TW hauler though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
there was a time that 90% of trucks came with 8' beds. What happened? I see "trucks " now with beds so small you can't put more than a few grocery bags in.
To be sure I don't know this as a fact....but a dealer I have been buying pickups and jeeps from for the last 40 years explains that the market has changed....back in the 50's families drove sedans and then station wagons and then mini vans and now they drive 4 door pickups and jeeps..... his opinion was that few of these vehicles ever get dirty or haul much of anything....

I was raised on a farm/ranch and we would go through a pick up about every 3 years...it was beat and worn out...all those trucks had regular cabs and 8' beds...the old sheet of plywood standard...

I was complaining to the dealer about how complicated and big the new pickup were....my 2018.... exact same model as my 1999..... must be 15% larger and has nearly a 1000 pages of owners manuals....I can't even change the fing clock on it.... .

He said the manufacturers are not stupid, they are building what 25 to 55 year old's want....they don't build trucks for old farts like me.....he said if he can sell a truck to a 25 year old there is a good chance he will sell that kid a half dozen or even more in the future.....like he did with me....

He didn't have to mention that he was closing my file and didn't expect to sell me another......cold....

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
He said the manufacturers are not stupid, they are building what 25 to 55 year old's want....they don't build trucks for old farts like me.....he said if he can sell a truck to a 25 year old there is a good chance he will sell that kid a half dozen or even more in the future.....like he did with me....
SO true...my son has to keep reminding me that I won't find another truck "like my old one" anymore....they all have computers, and tire pressure sensors and bluetooth and other techno stuff that more resembles the Starship Enterprise, than it does a trailer-hauler. I try to stay current, I really do....but some of this technology is just overwhelming.

This video says it all....

One thing I didn't know, is that the NEW Eco-boost twin-turbo F150's have MORE TORQUE than my 1997 7.3 Powerstroke! I mean, I knew the old girl was no powerhouse...but she was steady and reliable and NEVER let me down. I've heard some real horror stories with the newer models....ALL makes.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
I like a truck with drip rails to keep the bears from folding the door frames down. New slippery aero designs means new feeding opportunities for the bears. Park bears have learned fast and teach each new generation of cubs the new trick. bear.jpg
Plus rain doesn't enter as easily. Miss wing vent windows too. On my way now to renew plates on my practical, wing vented drip but non-railed compact Hi-Lux in the rain..reliable, 4x4, manual hubs, manual window cranks, narrow for scrape-free trailing. Thing has never had a breakdown or seen a tow truck in 28 yers. Bye!

P.S. Two TWs do fit nicely in the bed with the tailgate down.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the DR is an extra long bike. i can fit any of my bikes in my utility trailer, nice and straight, all except the Dr650, it had to go in sideways, what a pain, but it does ride nice. it did fit on the front of my truck 2.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where I ride, it’s way out in the boonies and thieves have been known to steal ramps, tools, and gas out of the back of trucks. I use a ramp like grewen, but mine is on the back. I keep all my stuff locked under my lid, and it’s still there when I get back. Here is a photo with my CR450X on the back.

230BAF05-5E06-41C0-914F-B6C2386CD55B.jpeg

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Where I ride, it’s way out in the boonies and thieves have been known to steal ramps, tools, and gas out of the back of trucks. I use a ramp like grewen, but mine is on the back. I keep all my stuff locked under my lid, and it’s still there when I get back. Here is a photo with my CR450X on the back.

View attachment 189182
i tried mine on the back, but every time i went around a corner too fast, it felt like the bike was going to fly off. and unlike pigs, i don't want to see a flying TW 31.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
i tried mine on the back, but every time i went around a corner too fast, it felt like the bike was going to fly off. and unlike pigs, i don't want to see a flying TW View attachment 189184
MIne did that too, until I bought a heavy duty anti-wobble device. The carrier attachment goes through the anit-wobble device and you bolt that setup to your reciever. When mine is mounted, you can’t wiggle the carrier or motorcycle at all.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
After unloading bikes from back of pick-up I park the pick-up on top of the ramps to avoid theft during subsequent the trail ride.

When using a hitch carrier I use, and periodically re-tighten a quality hitch tightener. Get it tight, wiggle bike a bit, then re-tighten as usually is the case.. re-check at first fuel stop and/or beginning off-road driving. Those things can settle in and then get loose.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts