TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

I'd like to get my bike as quiet as possible. I usually ride early AM and I find with the warm-up, the bike is a little too loud (wakes up my household). Are there any solutions? Or should I just start up and gently creep away?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The stock muffler is already a total peashooter, if that's too loud than I would probably be looking into something electric. I'm not really aware of any aftermarket mufflers that would be quieter than a stock one. Fire sale on Alta's now.....

My only real suggestion would be to make a little insulated "cap" you could temporarily slip over the muffler- a snippet of suitably sized PVC pipe lined with muffler packing you could just slip over. Loose enough it doesn't plug up the outlet, but should considerably stifle the note. When you're ready to go just remove it and set off.

If you're starting it in the garage (attached to house), do it outside and shut the door. I've noticed at my parent's house when my mom starts her 50cc 4 stroke Vino scooter (which sounds like absolutely nothing) in the garage, a low rumble is audible pretty much anywhere in the house, it sounds way louder than it really is. Do it outside and of course the noise stops.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used to live in a trailer park. 10 1/2 MPH speed limit. I was riding in in first gear and the lady down the street kept telling me to slow down. Started riding into the park in second going faster and she never bitched again. It wasn't a matter of how fast I was going. But rather her perception of my speed based on the sound she was hearing.

So just be mindful of your throttle usage. Maybe start out easier and/or up shift a bit sooner. Coast to the end of the driveway if possible. I really don't think you'll quiet this bike down much. If you did I would expect adverse effects on performance.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
This worked quite well for me: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/18928-what-most-quiet-muffler-4.html
Post # 39

And the follow up: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/61564-update-using-fiberglass-wrap-quiet-muffler.html

Use some masking tape cut into four 1/4 inch wide strands instead of SS wire. They will burn up and the fiberglass will expand.

I pulled up right behind a tree feller who was pouring gas into his saw last week and he didn't hear me until I shut off and said Hello in a loud voice! :p He probably had ear plugs in, though.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
"Use a higher gear and low rpm..."

Yes...but don't "lug" it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess the problem I have is cool morning temps (5ºC - 10ºC / 41ºF - 50ºF). I have to let the bike warm-up under full and half choke.

I'm going to try the 45º 3/4" elbow first, then try Rocky TFS's method of fibreglass packing if necessary.

I never thought I would try and quiet an engine...

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
There used to be a device called a dB Snorkel that acted as a secondary muffler. I also vaguely recall someone using an ATV muffler or something like that after the stock muffler. Definitely would be cool to have one if it doesn't kill the power output, or if you could put it on and take it off without jetting changes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I guess the problem I have is cool morning temps (5ºC - 10ºC / 41ºF - 50ºF). I have to let the bike warm-up under full and half choke.

I'm going to try the 45º 3/4" elbow first, then try Rocky TFS's method of fibreglass packing if necessary.

I never thought I would try and quiet an engine...

Thanks for the replies!
Just start the bike and start riding. It will never be as quiet as an electric bike, and the stock setup is already very quiet as far as db levels are concerned. It's good that you have concern for your neighbors opinion of you, I am the same. BUT, I also have neighbors who mow at 8:30pm, and their mowers are MUCH louder than my motorcycle, for about an hour, right next door. I also have neighbors who put their trash to the street at 5am on trash day because they forgot to do it the night before, and the wheeled plastic trash bin is loud on driveways. And I have neighbors with kids that shriek for fun at any hour of the day, for fun... And I mean shriek. Sure the parents yell at them to stop it but....A motorcycle is nowhere near as obnoxious as these other regular neighborhood activities.

I have an across the street neighbor who has a Harley, it is not the loudest bike nor the quietest, he starts it and leaves for work at 6am, when the weather will be nice. He sometimes does the bar run with his buds, and comes back way after dark. It's life.

I haven't had a complaint about my bike yet, and probably never will, because we all understand someone can't throw the first "stone". If someone complains, it's game over and everyone is guilty in some way of "transgressing" against their neighbors. Dogs barking for hours outside, kids running into the street without checking, gas powered trimmers (the worst), one guy working on his house until midnight two weeks straight, power tools , table saw and all. Jeez.

The TW is a very quiet bike. Just ride.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
A copper 45° elbow slipped over the end of the muffler, pointed down. Put some flat black paint on it and it looks normal. I'm not at all the first to do this.
seems too simple, but it knocked 5dB off my bike... (and increased HP by 5!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
A copper 45° elbow slipped over the end of the muffler, pointed down. Put some flat black paint on it and it looks normal. I'm not at all the first to do this.
seems too simple, but it knocked 5dB off my bike... (and increased HP by 5!)
Be careful with this mod. It may be more than 5 hp. I've heard of people shredding the rear tire after that mod. Also breaking the chain if you ever get traction.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
The comments about use of higher gears is informative but the Original Poster TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's question was about limiting the noise emissions during warming up, likely in neutral.:p

Certainly a copper 3/4" elbow helped my exhaust note. I tried a 1" elbow for awhile but thought it actually made things a bit louder so removed it. My other TW features a secondary muffler welded behind the OEM silencer, it marginally helps reduce sound at idle but I feel it is not worth the effort.

Certainly things like the db Snorkel can help but they are pricey and a quasi-permanent installation. db download.jpeg

However for just a few dollars one can get 5 to 10 feet or more of some very thin wall tubing to slip over end of OEM exhuast just for the warm up period. Discharge end can go outside directed away fro household. It really works as each exhaust pulse flutters down the tubing dissipating in intensity. Get the thinist wall possible like the drain lines for swimming pools. Warm up is usually not needed for me O.P's warm up is likely short enough that there is no damaging heat build up to the tubing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about having a length of tube/pipe and attach that to a small inlet car muffler? I was thinking any cheap 4 cylinder car muffler should do the trick, or would something from the 6/8 cylinder world be better at suppressing the sound?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I recommend a small potato.
Or a carrot...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts