TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catastrophic engine failure!:(

Mine's not torn down completely so I can't pinpoint the precise cause yet, but I'm done with riding for a while. It's in the lower engine. Top end is ok.

Determining which route to take: rebuild (my ability + time + parts $) or buy.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
So sorry to hear this :(!

I might have a couple of options that may work for you:

-2007 TW200 bottom end
-199? TW200 complete engine
-1992 XT225 complete engine that could be converted to a TW225 6-speed

The completeness and availability of the above will depend upon the timing and success of my TW225 6-speed conversion (currently in-process).

Brian

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunno cause yet. Last week rode to work, then to wife's work. On the way I stopped to check cell, and engine didn't sound quite right. Had helmet and ear plugs in. Speed and power, normal. Got to wife's parking lot, took off helmet and ear plugs, not good. Could tell noise was from lower end. Sounded like a grinding noise.

Started disassembly this morning, but watching grandson, so I didn't get real far on the tear down. Oil level normal and nothing in oil when drained. But when I took off oil filter, I saw metal shaving sludge pile in bottom of filter housing. Took top end off. Piston, wrist pin look ok. That's as far as I've gotten, but I know it ain't gonna be real good. Also took off left side cover, normal looking.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So sorry to hear this :(!

I might have a couple of options that may work for you:

-2007 TW200 bottom end
-199? TW200 complete engine
-1992 XT225 complete engine that could be converted to a TW225 6-speed

The completeness and availability of the above will depend upon the timing and success of my TW225 6-speed conversion (currently in-process).

Brian

Sounds like bottom end is what's bad. Will be interested in 2007 bottom mostly or 199? complete depending on your project completion. Keep me in mind.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Sorry to hear this, hope you get back on the road again soon Admiral!

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet trailscout. Grandson started getting cranky so I called it a day.

So with your hint, if not steel maybe not from engine, but possibly damage from clutch side? Gonna take right side cover tomorrow night and inspect before I completely tear it down.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Catastrophic engine failure!:(

Mine's not torn down completely so I can't pinpoint the precise cause yet, but I'm done with riding for a while. It's in the lower engine. Top end is ok.

Determining which route to take: rebuild (my ability + time + parts $) or buy.
That suks. I am having an engine rebuild next week. I've been relying on my car for a month and it feels like an eternity of not riding.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That suks. I am having an engine rebuild next week. I've been relying on my car for a month and it feels like an eternity of not riding.
I know the feeling. Then I remembered I have to son's who have dirt bikes they don't ride much. So, if this engine rebuild/replacement takes a while, I know who to hit up when I can't stand it anymore. I'll have a KTM 450 or Kawasaki 250 to choose from! I'd better not tell them my engine issue or they may not let me ride their's.:p

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Admiral, I have a good kicker motor if you need it out of that 94 rainbow warrior we dissected at Brian's wrench and ride. Looked a original brass mesh oil filter which was clean. Ran fine up and down the street before we gutted the poor girl. Not sure on mileage because odometer was missing but I'm thinking low because of filter being original and so clean.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
Let me add my best wishes for a painless repair to those stated above. After all it would be difficult to ride your mule to work everyday. Good Luck . Once again I am mightily impressed with the generous offers of assistance from noble forum members. Impressive bunch of guys and gals here.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Let me add my best wishes for a painless repair to those stated above. After all it would be difficult to ride your mule to work everyday. Good Luck . Once again I am mightily impressed with the generous offers of assistance from noble forum members. Impressive bunch of guys and gals here.
We "do" love our Admiral around here!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
the OREGON AIR NATIONAL GUARD... they ran a stealth bombing run and dropped gremlins down the oil filler plug?

sorry admiral, i hope you are up and running soon.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Admiral, I have a good kicker motor if you need it out of that 94 rainbow warrior we dissected at Brian's wrench and ride. Looked a original brass mesh oil filter which was clean. Ran fine up and down the street before we gutted the poor girl. Not sure on mileage because odometer was missing but I'm thinking low because of filter being original and so clean.
Thanks for the great offer you and everyone have made. I will certainly keep your offer in mind as well! Thanks a ton. Hope it won't come to engine replacement, but...!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts