TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one for sale locally so I looked up the specs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_DR350 . I went over to look at it and wow what a nice bike but I would want a 94 and up for the electric start. Its about the same weight as a TW200 but with 350cc and a 6 speed trans. Only downside I can see is the height but I just helped my buddy lower his DR650 using the built in factory lowering kit, custom lowering links and dropping the triples an inch. his DR650 now has a seat height about equivalent to my lowered TW200. All of this stuff can also be done on the DR350 however I would not go as low as he did due to ground clearance. Yes he is ordering a skid plate by the way. So I would like to hear from others who have owned or ridden a DR350. Lay it on me the good the bad and the ugly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I owned one for little while. It was a 1998 I think. It was a good bike. Could go highway speed without too much difficulty. I mostly just commuted 15 miles round trip with it daily one summer. It was fun in traffic and on the couple of banked off ramps on my route. I think I only took it off road once before selling it. It was fine, but seemed tall for me off road because it wasn't very good at off road riding. I paid $1300 for it in February and sold it for $1200 the next September but probably could have got more if I tried harder. It is one of th few bikes I regret selling, but I was a poor college student at the time.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have one. 1998 3600 miles, was 100% stock and paid $2k for it this fall. Great bike for me. Has everything I was needing the TW couldn't provide. 1. Real ability to safely travel at 60mph (will do highway speeds, but will likely go to 14t front sprocket, so probably limited highway use) 2. Enough suspension to let me ride at a little higher pace with my son and our friends on MX and Enduro bikes. 3. Still simple, relatively light and air cooled. 4. There is still decent parts availability and a pretty good community of riders for fellowship and support (not TW levels of support, but pretty good).

File_000.jpeg

I had an XT350 btw and no comparison from a motor or suspension perspective, my 98 DR (with the better suspension) is light years better off road than the XT.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used to ride, in the desert, with someone who rode a DR350. I was on an RM250 and the DR could keep up in the open areas and not too bad in the more whooped out or sandy washes.
I liked that it was street legal. But we did make him run into town to get us stuff, so that was a negative to having the only street legal bike.

It is a predecessor to the 400, although different it's well liked. I don't think you will find the same level of support for it but stock parts should still be easy to find.
It's a solid, off-road oriented, dual sport.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I was going to sell the TW after getting the DR (just to keep the peace in the house), but my wife said, "why don't you keep the little one? It would be nice for you to be able to leave one at the cottage". The TW is an awesome exploration/hunting/guest/smile inducing machine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 1999 DR350SE in October with the intention of passing it on to a friend. We were headed out for a week of forest road/single track riding in Tellico Plains, TN. Bike ran like crap when I bought it but 10 days later it was serviceable. He felt more comfortable on my DR650 and rode that the entire trip instead. By the end of the week I'd fallen for the 350 and decided to keep it. Liked it so much that I sold my 650 to another friend in Colorado and had SoPro in Chattanooga completely rebuild the 350 suspension. No regrets, it's a great bike. Simple to work on, durable, enough power for pavement runs, cheap, and a hoot to ride. I'm not missing the power or weight of the 650 at all. The 350 is not a light bike (315 or so fully fueled by my scale), but a good 50 pounds lighter than the 650. The later models ('98 and '99 I believe), came with the fully adjustable suspension from the dirt model and is much nicer. Fell free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point. Mine does have the better suspension though. If you have the chance to buy a nice one I say go for it. Makes a nice stable mate for the TW.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D
I bought a 1999 DR350SE in October with the intention of passing it on to a friend. We were headed out for a week of forest road/single track riding in Tellico Plains, TN. Bike ran like crap when I bought it but 10 days later it was serviceable. He felt more comfortable on my DR650 and rode that the entire trip instead. By the end of the week I'd fallen for the 350 and decided to keep it. Liked it so much that I sold my 650 to another friend in Colorado and had SoPro in Chattanooga completely rebuild the 350 suspension. No regrets, it's a great bike. Simple to work on, durable, enough power for pavement runs, cheap, and a hoot to ride. I'm not missing the power or weight of the 650 at all. The 350 is not a light bike (315 or so fully fueled by my scale), but a good 50 pounds lighter than the 650. The later models ('98 and '99 I believe), came with the fully adjustable suspension from the dirt model and is much nicer. Fell free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point. Mine does have the better suspension though. If you have the chance to buy a nice one I say go for it. Makes a nice stable mate for the TW.

·
Registered
779 Posts
98 and 99 have the updated/adjustable suspension. That, weight and 6th gear are reasons I prefer the 98 or 99 over either DRZ400s (they got the betrer suspension in 02, but still have a 5sp and are even heavier) or the older DR350. I do wish I had the kicker of the earleir DRs in addition to e start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
98 and 99 have the updated/adjustable suspension. That, weight and 6th gear are reasons I prefer the 98 or 99 over either DRZ400s (they got the betrer suspension in 02, but still have a 5sp and are even heavier) or the older DR350. I do wish I had the kicker of the earleir DRs in addition to e start.
Thanks for confirming the 98 and 99 suspension upgrades.
Regarding the kickstart, as I'm sure you know, there is a plug on the right side of the case covering the kickstart shaft. It can be added although I have not done this. My solution is to go with a lightweight lithium battery. I'm a fan of the Earth-X brand. They are very powerful and extremely light. On my DR650 I was able to completely eliminate the battery box and locate the Earth-X on the back of the airbox. Worked great and between the weight of the steel battery box and the old lead battery I shaved nearly 8 pounds of weight. Haven't found a suitable relocation place on the 350 yet.

In regards to lithium batteries not starting well in very cold weather, this is easily dealt with. The battery is able to internally heat itself up under load. This is the procedure (in cold weather):
1. turn on ignition and hit starter for several seconds. Bike will likely not start and barely turn over.
2. leave ignition on. The draw from the lights will help the battery heat up. Wait 30-60 seconds.
3. Try starting again. engine should turn a little faster now. If it doesn't start, repeat step 2.
4. After another minute, try starter again. I've found that even with the big DR650 in very cold weather it will usually start fast after this third attempt. If not, repeat step 2.

This has never failed for me and you could never pull this off with a traditional lead battery. As such, I've not felt the need to add the kick starter. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
What has been said of the DR's performance is true (it's an underrated machine, for sure). However, I personally avoid the 94 and newer models, because of the exploding counterbalancer issue. It's technically very unlikely, but I just couldn't do it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts