TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the various shock threads I can find, and it's looking like the R6 rear shock might be the best way to go, based on what I've seen. Does that sound right? They're certainly inexpensive on eBay, and building a bracket to make it 1" longer is simple enough. One thing I had noticed though is that the older R6 shock (2001-ish) has the reservoir mounted perpendicularly to the shock body, which might fit better and not hit anything when the shock is fully compressed. I was wondering if anybody had explored that possibility.

Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't want to deal with a higher seat. I like the TW's seat height as it is. I'm gonna order up an R6 shock... it's cheap enough. I know of a local shock builder who may even be able to modify it to add the extra inch of length. If not, a bracket is simple enough to make. I like having the full compression and rebound adjustability. It really makes all the difference.

Yesterday afternoon I took the TW for a ride in an open field across the street (the owner gave permission). I thought it seemed kinda rough, so I came home and got my DR650 and went back. HUGE difference. The DR is like a Cadillac by comparison with it's completely done suspension... gold valves and springs in the forks, and a Cogent Dynamics shock in back. And that's with extra-stiff springs on both ends too. So yeah, the TW definitely needs some suspension work.

Rob

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? Crap. I figured the R6 spring would be stiffer. I'm regretting giving away my stock KLX250S spring, it might have been a good fit. Oh well, thanks for the tip at least.

Anybody know what the stock spring rate is on the TW? At least ProCycle has a couple of stiffer options available too.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Stock is for a 135 lb. person, and that sure isn't me. I went with the procycle red spring and also the heavier front springs as well. Brand new bike, actually feels like a real motorcycle.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
If you want a less expensive option to the springs procycle offers, you could make one yourself. I used a homemade spacer and it really stiffened up the rear without raising it. It feels like it's jacked up, but that's just cause it doesn't sag as much.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was thinking in terms of kg/mm. But looking at the ProCycle site, the 220 lb. spring is 15 kg/mm... so that kinda implies that the stock one is around 8 or 9 kg/mm.

That's good to hear about your results. I was resisting doing that, but I may end up doing so. Did you do the Gold Valves up front too? If so, did you have to disassemble the forks and drill holes in the damper rods?

Rob

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, those. I went to eBay and didn't find any for less than $120-130. I'm gonna do the ProCycle Fork Solution Kit because for the $289 you get the emulators, the springs, fork oil, and fork seals, all of which I need. Seems like a fair price, and since they're only an hour away, even shipping and shipping time is quick.

Looking at my budget, this won't happen til mid-March. I'm officially spent-out til then. :)

BTW I hope to get to the USPS before end of the week to send out your box.

Rob

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya on the funds. That's why I gotta sell the Cyclerack and OEM gas tank which are both now listed in the classifieds so I have funds for stuff I need.

Did you get my box? I should have cleaned them, but didn't.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep they look great! They didn't need cleaning. I'll be popping them on in a day or two.

I'm now waiting on the shipping info on the new shock... doesn't look like it'll make it here by the weekend. Oh well, I still have plenty of other stuff to do to the bike in the meantime.

Rob

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
There are 2 different R6 shocks I've seen. Remote resevoir with hose, and piggy back. Also bottom i hook mount or U bracket end. Which one did you get. Better yet, got a pic? I hope you don't mind, but I'm very interested in doing this as well.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll post a pic once it's here. From what I found, there are several variations. This one has a yellow spring, the reservoir is attached, but is mounted perpendicularly to the shock body. And it has eyes/bushings at both ends. Another variation has a square "U" bracket at one end (the end opposite the rezzy), and then another version has the red spring and the rezzy mounted inline with the shock body.

I chose this one because I think it'll clear the carburetor at full compression, which the other one didn't from what I saw in the posts here, not without some bracket modifications. We'll see; I could be totally wrong and it might not fit at all. For $25, it was worth a try.

Rob

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hi guys, your discussion on the R6 shock is very interesting. Please continue as you begin the installation and your thoughts when completed.
Joe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's why you mount the shock upside down. The reservoir is down at the swingarm level, out of the way of the airbox.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shocks will work either way. I've run snowmobile shocks upside down before too, including ones with reservoirs. It's still full of oil, and the reservoir is pressurized with nitrogen, so gravity isn't going to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have a spare stock shock/spring for my FZ6. I'm going to have to take a look but I would think it will be to stiff as the FZ6 is quite a bit heavier.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts