TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes (quite often, actually) I forget to turn off my turn signal after making a turn, so I have installed a buzzer device that I pulled out from under the dash of an older junked vehicle. I really helps my peace-of-mind, knowing that I am no longer sending out "false"signals to drivers, which might cause them to turn or pull out in front of me. I was just wondering if there are any other TW200 riders out there who engage in a similar practice.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
It's something I've been going to do as I sometimes forget to cancel the signals, also. My brother found a neat circuit that allows you to silence the beeper at stop lights by pulling the front brake lever.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
It's something I've been going to do as I sometimes forget to cancel the signals, also. My brother found a neat circuit that allows you to silence the beeper at stop lights by pulling the front brake lever.
Do you have a wiring diagram fir this?

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I'll be interested in hearing more on this. Brain dead after a turn is pretty common for me and a few miles down the road I finally notice.

GaryL

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sweet! The diagram even has a parts list!

I'm doing it. Too bad today is labor day. I bet Radio Shack is closed. Maybe not! I'm gonna call.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The circuit for silencing the buzzer when brakes are applied is a pretty good idea. But depending on how much current the buzzer being used requires for operation, there MAY be a way to hook it up and make it work WITHOUT needing ANY circuitry. What you would do is connect one terminal (the +, if they are marked) of the buzzer to the "X" (switched) terminal of the flasher unit. Then connect the other terminal of the buzzer (-, if polarity is marked) directly to the wire circuit feeding the brake light filament in the taillight assembly.

The theory of operation would be that the BL filament would act as a low resistance resistor, effectively grounding the "-" terminal of the buzzer, allowing it to operate as long as niether of the brakes are applied. But with either brake applied, the BL filament would be brought up to 12 volts, disabling the buzzer. But this probably will NOT work if you are using an LED TL/BL, as it's resistance when not on likely is too high to allow enough current to flow through it in order to operate the buzzer. But that situation could be compensated for by connecting a reisistor having a low enough resistance, from the brake light circuit, to ground.

P.S. - I have NOT actually tried this yet. It is as of yet merely an untested theory. I need to get my front wheel situation resolved before I can put any time into confirming that this does actually work. Therefore, I [formally, or whatever] disclaim any responsibility if you fry anything, should you attempt to hook it up in the mannor in which I have described, before I get the opportunity to try it myself.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Tell me about it!
Ha Ha, You probably would not be busting my chops if you could pass me and not have to see the blink, blink all the time!:icon_biggrin:

GaryL

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

I finally did try attaching the negative side of the automotive buzzer directly to the brake circuit, but it did not work. The buzzer stayed on even when the brake switches WERE activated. I think it may be due to one of the systems switching the ground side of the circuit, instead of the hot side. But I have not looked at a wiring diagram yet, to see exactly what the deal is.

Note: Apparently I was WRONG to assume that the "X" terminal of the TRIDON brand flasher unit [needed for LED turn sigs] is the "switched" terminal, with the "L" terminal being the "line" lerminal (I guess the L stands for "load"). For it to work, it needs to be hooked up the OPPOSITE way..

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Have wired up a turn signal buzzer to all of my rigs. As a DIYer still make them myself with parts from Radio Shack or Amazon. It's pretty straight forward, a buzzer and bridge rectifier. Neither needs to be real special, just 'comfortable' with 12 volts and a couple of amps. Here is the wire diagram recently used on my Honda PCX scooter. Should work for the TW as well, least it did for me. Used the front signals as connections/splice points to the rectifier. The signal input to the rectifier has no polarity, can use right or left on either rectifier lead. The turn signal wire selected does need to be the input/hot, not the ground. One connection to the right signal the other to the left, then you're set.
--

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I installed an old automotive buzzer which worked great till it got wet a few times to many so I replaced it with a bright LED dome light bulb. More than bright enough during the day and the odd time I ride at night it totally lights me up making me more visible. 027.JPG 028.JPG

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Fred just now learned what it was because of this thread. Before today, he thought it was Marisa's signal to call him for lunch. No wonder he couldn't get more than a block or two away from the house!!! The first turn and he'd think it was lunchtime and head back home!! :D

***He's going to git me for this one!! ;):p

Gerry's buzzer on the MrGizmo bike he sold me has helped me live down the nick-name of "Blinky". The buzzer really helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had one on my Z750,
It was all ready fitted when i bought the bike. The Bright LED was fine but the audible alarm drove me nuts.
If sitting at traffic lights with turn signal on for more than 30 seconds the alarm would sound, it was very loud and attract unwanted attention from other drivers who thought i was beeping them with my horn. I would switch the turn signal off then back on only for it to start beeping again before the light changed to green. :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts