TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have owned a few ducat is right back into the early 1980's ,I bought them all broken or smashed and they cost a fortune to repair ($3200.00 front rim in 1984) ,if you have some disposable bike cash they are a ton of fun ,but if you watch your cash keep looking .

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Ducatis have been making wealthy motorcyclists into bankrupt mechanics for generations. I've come across deals on several over the years but none have been dependable and parts availability has often been limited. Keep in mind that I sold the last Ducati about 11 years ago, but my brother recently sold one because he couldn't get the parts to keep it running.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nothing handles like a Ducati. Brakes are Brembo. Fuel injection is the only way
to fly in these modern times. That said there is a steep learning curve
with certain systems which confuses and confounds many mechanics. The days of hard to find
parts are over thanks to internet. Still not cheap, depends on how much you like it if it's
worth it. Selling them ain't easy so don't buy it unless you want to own it. Ducati's are
about as far away from a TW as one can get. Impractical, technologically advanced and expensive.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As a Ducati owner here is my take..

Great bikes, fun to ride

They have a soul and character that others are lacking

Sometimes wakes me up at 3am so I can go ride it.

Mine has been as reliable if not more so than any other bike I have ever owned. I beat the snot out of it too.

Parts have been a non issue one 1 time I have needed them.

Parts are expensive, a brake lever cost me $130

I would buy another in a heartbeat

I would go over to ducati.ms and check on the monster forum. They should be able to tell you what to expect from that bike. Like I said I would buy another duc in a heartbeat, I'm totally happy with mine and it's been no less dependable as the last Honda I owned but worlds more fun to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Reliability can be hit and miss. Sometimes you'll get a great ride that's "supposed to be" ultra-reliable, and it turns out to be a POS lemon that dries up after the first drop of lemonade... Generally speaking, I wouldn't rate Ducati very high in terms of reliability. That being said, they do make some fun machines. I'd say Bruce's (above) pretty much hit the nail on the head: "...if you have some disposable bike cash they are a ton of fun ,but if you watch your cash keep looking ."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Parts are expensive and hard to find used cheap parts
I had a 900ss
If you like the ducati monster look take a look at the sv650 or sv1000

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I also had the 900SS, could stare at that bike for hours. It was also the best sounding engine that I ever owned. I really liked it and was one of the lucky ones that never had a problem with it. I got rid of it because at the time I needed a better commuter bike. Whenever I left it parked in the city I worried about it being stolen. What bothered me most is it did not turn in close quarters, lock to lock turning was very limited.
Parts are expensive and hard to find used cheap parts
I had a 900ss
If you like the ducati monster look take a look at the sv650 or sv1000

·
Registered
816 Posts
looks like you've already made your choice, but for what its worth I have had a great time/experience with mine. Parts can be steep, but I have never had a problem getting anything. Just like all of my bikes it gets rolled into the shop during the snow season and all maintenance done. Never had a break down or any other issue for that matter. The 620ie is the little one but still injected. I have ridden quite a few bikes and none of them bring the same sensation as this bike. Do you have any other vehicles that don't have valve springs?

Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sold my 2007 Sport 1000s last week on ebay.

Sold new for ~$12,500 and I sold it for exactly $12,500.

Zero depreciation over 7 years ain't bad.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree with jb882
I not sure about how reliable if you beat the heck out of it even maintained.
I have owned 2. One I still have. True not practical but on good smooth roads at elevated speed I wouldn't want to be on any other bike. I have TW200 because it makes sense for totally different roads.
Ducati handles perfectly when pushed hard on good roads. no bumps, cracks, cars or sand. Since perfect conditions are hard to find they would never be the only bike own. Many japanese sport bikes engines operate so perfectly they feel sanitized.
Sometimes like a Harley rider a sport bike rider wants more soul and character out of a street ride. The Ducati does this perfectly for higher speeds.

The BMW does can handle bad weather so much better but you lose some of the character due to engine charateristics.

Many used Ducati have very low miles and not bad deals.
Most ducati dealers are expecting customers to accept thier very high prices on everything. But once you establish a relationship with dealer they will help give you valuable tips on how to maintain bike and things to look out for.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The Monsters are so sexy they need swimsuits in public. Prettiest motorcycles EVER. When I win the lottery I'll have one for a track bike. Monsters also give great blow jobs. Nothing as exhilarating as 120mph on an naked bike. Maybe not as fast as some others, but nothing beats a Monster for character at speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts