TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a few old threads about shorty levers that fit and they all seemed to lead nowhere. Does anyone have shorty levers on their TW or know where to find them. I’m looking for plug and play. Don’t really want to swap anything else out. I know they’re no substitute for barkbusters. Just want to explore options. Thanks and cheers

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought some adjustable shorty Chinese made levers off Ebay, they fit well and I like using them. Problem is the cable / lever dust protection boot thingy doesn’t fit the new levers. Not sure how to “resolve” that issue.

#GYG
'13 TW200

A.T.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for this! How do you like the utility/use? Cheers
I like the facts that I can easily reach and operate them with 2 fingers, and the clearance between levers and the Tusk hand guards is such that my winter gloves don’t get hung up on guard. I like how they feel and work.

I would replace with the stock levers just to be able to use the rubber boots otherwise.

#GYG
'13 TW200

A.T.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. The zero cost is right up my alley. I’d sure appreciate a picture. And any info about what you used to cut and bend it. Thanks for this and cheers.

I just cut my clutch lever off about halfway and bent/filed what was left. Very comfortable two-finger use.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am getting a set from Santa, he said he has to pass through China anyway! Keep in mind that the ones that Howsbentley installed has a claimed mechanical advantage due to its shape and design. They claim that they are easier to pull with two fingers compared to stock. Perhaps we can get an opinion on that from Howsbentley,

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am getting a set from Santa, he said he has to pass through China anyway! Keep in mind that the ones that Howsbentley installed has a claimed mechanical advantage due to its shape and design. They claim that they are easier to pull with two fingers compared to stock. Perhaps we can get an opinion on that from Howsbentley,
Agree easier to pull, not sure if that’s due to design or positioning relative to my fingers. Seems they are closer to the grips than stock so I don’t have to stretch my fingers as far to grab them. They are adjustable, which is new to me. Apparently I can adjust them via 3 or 4 notched settings to be closer to the grip. I have not adjusted the levers, I have them as far from grip as possible. I may play around with closer settings when I can wear Summer gloves. I like the spacing for winter gloves.

#GYG
'13 TW200

A.T.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I have had the same shorty levers on Betty Boop for a few years now and really like them. Very adjustable, looks custom, easy to pull and modulate. Most importantly for me is that they will not conflict with hand guards nor break in a tip over since sometimes the guards themselves move. The short levers tuck in nicely even if the guards gets bent or displaced. Available in many other colors too.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Fred. Did you do anything about the dust covers?

I have had the same shorty levers on Betty Boop for a few years now and really like them. Very adjustable, looks custom, easy to pull and modulate. Most importantly for me is that they will not conflict with hand guards nor break in a tip over since sometimes the guards themselves move. The short levers tuck in nicely even if the guards gets bent or displaced. Available in many other colors too.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
No, apparently I am not as talented as Howsbentley since I could never get my rubber boot dust covers to fit acceptably.
But so far my brake master cylinder piston's seal seems to be surviving just fine without the dust cover. I have cleaned around the piston with a Q-tip after one goopy ride.
Besides the dust covers actually cover up the fancy looking secondary spring loaded pivots and their adjustment screws.
Golly, I think those hi-tec features were as big a part of the sex appeal of these as the anodized blue color. So I do nor miss the boots.

EDIT: My levers are actually slightly different than those depicted in the photo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No, apparently I am not as talented as Howsbentley since I could never get my rubber boot dust covers to fit acceptably.
But so far my brake master cylinder piston's seal seems to be surviving just fine without the dust cover. I have cleaned around the piston with a Q-tip after one goopy ride.
Besides the dust covers actually cover up the fancy looking secondary spring loaded pivots and their adjustment screws.
Golly, I think those hi-tec features were as big a part of the sex appeal of these as the anodized blue color. So I do nor miss the boots.

EDIT: My levers are actually slightly different than those depicted in the photo.
Sorry, I was not clear. I did not get the boots fitted either.

#GYG
'13 TW200

A.T.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cut-off Clutch Lever

I just cut with hacksaw, bent a little to tighten the arc, and then filed shape. I held the lever in a vise with softwood liners on the jaws. The lever was surprisingly hard to bend, even with a good purchase on it. The shape is arced enough that slippage off the lever is not an issue. In fact, I forget that the mod is there until somebody else rides my donkey and comments. Useful with with one or two fingers without pinching the fingers that remain on the bar grip.

Clutch Lever.jpg

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
3 inches of penetration is OK if the lever just pierces your thigh in a tip over, just make sure it misses the femoral artery. :p

Seriously though an anti-penetration ball on the end is much safer; protective hand guards don't always protect 100% in a crash. My last lever's ball was broken off despite quality handguards. Plus the cast aluminum's crystal lattice structure has been strained by the bending and unlike steel is subject to subsequent brittle fracture is stressed again. One can usually get one bend from these alloys and think things are fine but the internal strength has been significantly compromised by the bending process.
To each their own but I would not run a cut down lever off-road where there is risk of a minor tip over resulting in an unpleasant injury. Might be just fine for a road rider..If so I offer my apologies to Walkamok for the critique.
For all you drum brake owners Sunline used to market nifty universal nylon shorty levers. I do not know if still available but they were sweet, unbreakable and affordable for only about $10.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Walkamok. Your donkey comment made me laugh. Until I can find a true plug and play, I’m planning to modify the stockers. I’ll make a safety evaluation as Fred suggests. But before I spend $30 or more on something that needs modifications or doesn’t fit, I might as well try to tweak what’s on there already. Thanks again for everyone’s help and cheers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts