TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a near-new inexpensive 1650psi washer that worked great last summer, but after sitting over the winter (in a heated basement) it now will only deliver pressure for a few seconds before reverting to a simple spray. Releasing the trigger & squeezing again just
repeats the cycle. Inlet filter & nozzle orifice are clean, plenty of supply water pressure. I have two filthy TWs after a week in the mountains; help!

·
Registered
2021 TW
602 Posts
Ok, its a motor and a pump. First to check is the inlet side for the pump. Is there something blocking the water flow/inlet side of the pump.
Second, the pump head has valves, a simple cage with a metal valve and a metal seat and a spring to help close the valve. Just like your tdub. Crud in the valves wont let them close and build pressure. On most pumps they are removeable/ serviceable. They should be easy to remove and check on the pump head.
Third, and what I think is happening is your pressure relief valve is sticking. Its usually a brass piston inside a steel cylinder. Its on the outlet side of the pump head. Again it should be removeable, it may be sticking and causing your problems. Again,it should be easy to take apart and clean.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My pressure washer gives me a hard time if I don't purge all the air from the system before firing up the engine. I turn on the water and wait till there is no spitting from the wand first and it works every time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, its a motor and a pump. First to check is the inlet side for the pump. Is there something blocking the water flow/inlet side of the pump.
Second, the pump head has valves, a simple cage with a metal valve and a metal seat and a spring to help close the valve. Just like your tdub. Crud in the valves wont let them close and build pressure. On most pumps they are removeable/ serviceable. They should be easy to remove and check on the pump head.
Third, and what I think is happening is your pressure relief valve is sticking. Its usually a brass piston inside a steel cylinder. Its on the outlet side of the pump head. Again it should be removeable, it may be sticking and causing your problems. Again,it should be easy to take apart and clean.
Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll see if I'm smart enough to follow it!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I second @reddave's experience. Mine does the same. Once all the air is purged it runs fine. Sometimes it's stubborn though.

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Two ways to purge the air.
First, with water supply on, hold the trigger until you get a steady steam.
Second, start the machine and let it run to warm up then hold the. Trigger. Even though it will go to just a stream, keep holding the trigger as the air works through the pump.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a near-new inexpensive 1650psi washer that worked great last summer, but after sitting over the winter (in a heated basement) it now will only deliver pressure for a few seconds before reverting to a simple spray. Releasing the trigger & squeezing again just
repeats the cycle. Inlet filter & nozzle orifice are clean, plenty of supply water pressure. I have two filthy TWs after a week in the mountains; help!
Buy the additive to be used before storage next time, I found that out like you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: I assumed that since my washer was spraying with pressure for a few seconds before going into the cycling misbehavior, that the nozzle tip must be clean and there had to be a more complicated problem, hence my call for help. Today I used the wire probe that came with the washer to plumb the nozzle. I didn't feel any obstruction, but tried the washer again and it worked fine! Shortly, though, the cycling symptom reappeared. I then took all the hoses & wand sections apart and found a fine screen filter in the output port that had crusty deposits in it (our water is quite hard). Cleaning that filter and re-reaming the nozzle with the wire probe made the washer work perfectly. Twenty minutes later the cycling symptom came back, but a quick poke in the nozzle with the wire probe fixed it. Moral: if your washer's pressure is cycling on & off, simply clear the nozzle jet before looking for bigger problems! It may not be so blocked that water can't flow out, but apparently ANY obstruction is enough to make the pump cycle on & off. Thanks for the helpful advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts