TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I had given it a go last year the first couple weeks I after I bought my TW, but I was hesitant because I am new to trail riding on a motorized vehicle. Mountain bike no problems, but on a dirt bike, I am still timid. Now with Winter here, I will likely have to wait until after the mud is gone from the woods.

I have been hunting for any kind of actual trail map or GPS file that shows the loop in detail. i want to be able to enter from a staging area, and end up in the same spot. I know the loop is about 60-70 miles depending on route taken. The Red arrow trail is the Enduro loop, but I have read so much about how badly it's marked, it's difficult to navigate, I don't want to end up disgusted and a little lost when I do go. I can always get back to the SUV if I find a road, there's gas and food all over eastern CT.

So far only 30 miles of trails (last November) under my belt, and half of it was very rocky and rooty, so I was always a half minute or so behind my leader, who has decades of trail riding more than me. Everything he rode on his Husky TE610, I also followed. Only one small section of super technical steep climbing was out of my league and I high centered the TW on a leaf covered log., off camber, uphill.... Exercise to say the least...

So anxious for better weather, I am almost tempted to go out with snow on the ground and 30°F weather, but I like being warm.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'm game.
There is some good trail riding up by Winsted and Canton, CT. About 100 miles as the crow flies from Smitty and I. I forgot the name of the park. Have to look in my archives (meaning I'll get around to remembering it eventually). Great fire roads.
Might be Brotherhood State Park????? something like that.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
... and of course I just remembered... Peoples State Park.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Here is a link to the map of the Pachaug Enduro Loop: http://www.blackibags.com/serve/pachaug_enduro,_edited.pdf

Even armed with that map, the trail is very difficult to follow. We actually have hundreds of miles of interesting riding in the area ranging from paved roads to very difficult trails. It is important to avoid the blue blazed hiking trails however, and to act appropriately when encountering horseback riders.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/25241-hey-lets-go-ride-southern-new-england.html

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
No. You need to be a licensed rider with a street legal bike.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This sounds great. Now REALLY wanting the Spring to arrive!!

I am spending some of my weekends cleaning (as little as possible) the house and trying to grind through straightening out some of the mess int he basement/garage.

I have a new vinyl patio door to install, but the weather and my unpaid help (brothers) haven't aligned yet. I procrastinated and ordered the door in November, then didn't get it until mid December.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes, there's quite a few Pachaug videos on YouTube. I tried to follow your link, but this one came up instead. This is not the Enduro loop but is from a Camp & Ride we did on Halloween of 2013.
Brought a tear to my eye...It's our friend Lilolita in the purple...who's sorely missed by all who knew her....she passed away a little over 2 years ago.

But also making a cameo appearance is yours truly... starting at the 2:23 mark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
RhodeTrip

I just checked you out a bit....looks like you've been around the NE block a few times! I will enjoy reading your posts for awhile for sure. Checking out your Take the Puppy to the Beach post on Advrider.com right now...nice job sharing the run and information!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Anybody want to ride this weekend? Mrs Trip is out of town so its just me. I don't know what shape the trails are in.... it'll be my first time out this Spring.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh man, if it wasn't for MUD I would be all over it. If you say their in decent condition then I'll go mud be damned. When the trails around here (mountain bike) are no longer wet, then I know it's time to get the TW out to Pachaug. I don't feel like riding an hour to get there, so I'll be carrying it on a motorcycle rack, and unloading probably at the Spaulding and Dow street lot (it's the only one I know of since I am not familiar with Pachaug AT ALL.) I can probably get my bud to come if he's around. We both got the itch last Fall and only rode once on trails before the cold weather struck.

Glad this thread got revived.

I spent so much time online trying to find a good map of the area and there aren't any, I figured I would have to just go out and ride there a lot to learn my way around and explore by trailing others.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's my preference to start at Twisted Throttle since that's a short ride for me. I didn't really intend to ride "the loop" as much as just go out for a ride around the area....some that is considered part of the Pachaug loop and just some other riding that I enjoy. JB882 will tell you that my usual modus operandi is to start out pretty mild (and I haven't ridden at all since January) and then go on to other things as the ride develops depending on what we seem to be enjoying. I try to avoid it...but there will be mud. and rocks. and I bet there will be blowdowns we'll have to find a way around. I have not ridden yet this Spring so it will be interesting to see what kind of shape the trails and roads are in. I noticed that some roads are still gated when Mrs Trip and I were hiking yesterday.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts