TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everybody,I am new to this forum and recently I found a TW200 and I really like it.
I searched some info on internet and found out that this small baby is very friendly to some new riders like me.I plan to buy it.

I have several questions as below:

1:Which year do you think it is produced?
I checked the engine,the frame and the brake tube but the is no letters or numbers on it.

2:Is it a TW200 or TW225 please?
also no description about the engine model on above mentioned place.

3:Is there any mod on this bike please?

4:Just from the pictures from your experience is it in good condition or not except the engine please?

5:what kind of engine oil should I feed her ?
I saw the level of engine oil is pretty low when last time I went to the owner's place.

6:because it is a 2nd hand so what things should I do before the riding after I bought it please?

Please feel free to give any other comments besides the points above.

Pictures attached.
TW200-1.jpg TW200-2.jpg

Appreciate your opinion.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'm not real sure, is it a grey color ? If so maybe an 05.. I did notice it has the road tires front and back.. And it appears not to have the exhaust outlet ?? OMM.:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not grey,it is little bit goldish.

After comparing with other biker's ride I am starting to believe that this is not a TW225 or TW200, it may be a TW125.....sad,125CC is kind of not so much fun...

I am not sure so still need everybody's comments.
Thank you Max.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm thinking its a '99... If you want to know for sure just call your local yamaha dealer, read them the vin# and they can tell you the year, displacement etc

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
From the looks of the carb and chain tensioner and front disc its 01 or newer. I would do as Mkfchef said and have the vin run.

·
Registered
258 Posts
He did say there are no numbers on the engine or frame ,the dealer won't be any help .It sounds like it's possibly stolen or something call the local police and see what they think .

·
Registered
210 Posts
The vin should be stamped in the metal on the right side of the stearing tube. Sometimes it's hard to spot on black frames. It's either there or or there's gonna be rusty scrape marks where someone purposefully filed/ground it off. If theres evidence that it's had the grinder treatment then you can bet it's been stolen at some point in its life. Sometimes you can use a little baby powder to make the numbers easier to read... I've used this trick on old 4 wheelers we've fixed up. Not sure what country you're in but in the states if the vins ground off its best to walk away.
I think there's a vin on the crankcase as well... Not sure

·
Super Moderator
18,931 Posts
Your avatar pic looks to be one of our most beloved members who passed away last December. (lizrdbrth)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking its a '99... If you want to know for sure just call your local yamaha dealer, read them the vin# and they can tell you the year, displacement etc
I didn't find any numbers on the engine side.
Still thanks a lot Mkfchef.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the looks of the carb and chain tensioner and front disc its 01 or newer. I would do as Mkfchef said and have the vin run.
Do you mean it's a TW125 or TW 200?
Yes should check as Mkfchef said but there is no vin on the side.but I do found 1000cm3 or something like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vin should be stamped in the metal on the right side of the stearing tube. Sometimes it's hard to spot on black frames. It's either there or or there's gonna be rusty scrape marks where someone purposefully filed/ground it off. If theres evidence that it's had the grinder treatment then you can bet it's been stolen at some point in its life. Sometimes you can use a little baby powder to make the numbers easier to read... I've used this trick on old 4 wheelers we've fixed up. Not sure what country you're in but in the states if the vins ground off its best to walk away.
I think there's a vin on the crankcase as well... Not sure
Thank a lot Mkfchef,very useful tips.
Already made an appointment with the owner,I will check the VIN when I get there.if it's a stolen one I will walk away.

Can you tell if it's a 125 or 200 please?
Never mind.i guess it doesn't matter if it is a stolen one,I won't but it in that case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your avatar pic looks to be one of our most beloved members who passed away last December. (lizrdbrth)
Really? I took it randomly from google pictures because the biker and the bike are both very cool I like it.
He passed away? I am sorry.
I will change my avatar then.

·
Super Moderator
18,931 Posts
Really? I took it randomly from google pictures because the biker and the bike are both very cool I like it.
He passed away? I am sorry.
I will change my avatar then.
I'd leave it in memory of him. You will find as you go through the site that his info on these little bikes is invaluable to you! He was a very special person and very loved here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd leave it in memory of him. You will find as you go through the site that his info on these little bikes is invaluable to you! He was a very special person and very loved here.
Just changed my avatar.
Yes tommy,thanks for your info.i ll keep learning in this forum.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
If it is a TW 200 it will have 196 stamped on the cylinder on the left bottom side. That is the true CC of a TW 200. Every TW 200 I ever owned had a number stamped on the engine on the right side on a flat place under where the carburetor is and just above the oil fill cap. Let's face it, if the steering head has no numbers and the engine has no numbers and you can't see where the numbers that were there have been ground off then something is seriously wrong with this picture. Here in the U.S. if the bike has a kick start like this one then that tells us it is a 2000 or earlier or has had it added. I don't know anything about TW 125s and not much about non US TWs at all. I just can't imagine Yamaha not stamping the engine and the frame with a vin number. I can imagine scumbags trying real hard and doing a pretty good job at grinding them off but even scumbags are not so good that a smart good guy could not see the grind marks from where the numbers should be. Something beside the numbers is missing in this story.

GaryL

Reactions: Mkfchef

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
hello everybody,I am new to this forum and recently I found a TW200 and I really like it.
I searched some info on internet and found out that this small baby is very friendly to some new riders like me.I plan to buy it.

I have several questions as below:

1:Which year do you think it is produced?
I checked the engine,the frame and the brake tube but the is no letters or numbers on it.

2:Is it a TW200 or TW225 please?
also no description about the engine model on above mentioned place.

3:Is there any mod on this bike please?

4:Just from the pictures from your experience is it in good condition or not except the engine please?

5:what kind of engine oil should I feed her ?
I saw the level of engine oil is pretty low when last time I went to the owner's place.

6:because it is a 2nd hand so what things should I do before the riding after I bought it please?

Please feel free to give any other comments besides the points above.

Pictures attached.
View attachment 10190 View attachment 10191

Appreciate your opinion.

Thanks a lot.
is there a reason you didn't ask ALL these questions to the seller of the bike first ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts