TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this really short little teaser video for George today and gosh darn it, it got me nostalgic for group shenanigans on the slick rock sandstone again.
If a fall repeat is to happen this year then some planning and co-ordination needs to occur.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somehow everything seemed steeper in person from the top looking down. Same for the slope of the sidehill traverse. Youtube makes us all look like wimps. Indeed Moab is a skill builder.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Doing a ride in Oct on my way to Az to hook up with another TW rider and set up camp I would love to do a ride in either place. I do have an engagement in Kansas for a military reunion. Hope all things will fall together.

Missing Moab? Was wanting to turn around on the way home. Moab has it's tenacles deep in me. Will be back.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Somehow everything seemed steeper in person from the top looking down. Same for the slope of the sidehill traverse. Youtube makes us all look like wimps. Indeed Moab is a skill builder.
Boy, you said it! The wide angle cameras always make everything look tame. Nice, Fred! For an second camera angle, see my Moab Day 2 video. George starts his decent at the 5:17 mark, and at 5:47 for just a split second, I thought of following him when I saw how steep the hill was...STEEP! I was riding sweeper, so I was up there all alone. Scary.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Larry, How come your sandstone is redder than mine?;)

Maybe next trip someone might else might want to sample the Mineral Bottom area along the GreenRiver just upstream of the park boundary and White Rim Trail. Nice easy alternative to the more demanding jeep trails, yields a different experience.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....and if you let the Utah Highway Dept. know you're coming maybe they'll groom your route baby bottom smooth like they did for me. Right friendly and industrious folks in the BeeHive State.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Boy, you said it! The wide angle cameras always make everything look tame. Nice, Fred! For an second camera angle, see my Moab Day 2 video. George starts his decent at the 5:17 mark, and at 5:47 for just a split second, I thought of following him when I saw how steep the hill was...STEEP! I was riding sweeper, so I was up there all alone. Scary.
Being the first one down had my...um...attention to say the least!

Of course a lot of us ride alone many times so we are both first and sweep!:p

·
Registered
674 Posts
We had a great group ride with Fred this month; and I've been after Josh to put together or at least go on a Nor/Cal group ride - so I can come along (that last part may be why it's not happening - maybe Fred has warned them). Hint, Hint, Nutjobs. Haven't you only done a spring run so far this year. We want to hear some chatter out there before a fall moab or october Mel's Russ ride. Well; at least I do.
Yeah need another....I was just reading an article on a Mojave trip the watched a video on an Arizona trip. What about something near Auburn or Sonora? or near Yosemite?

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Auburn has access to Western Trail system but those river canyons are steep with occasional ticks, poison oak and rattlers. Hot this time of year too. However higher up one can avoid a lot of those annoyances. Google Teva Trail also. These are trans-sierra routes for 100 mile horse and foot races on single tracks.
After summer crowds dissipate a group ride through Yosemite could be fantastic. Far too many folks I have encountered have never visited this national treasure, and from a bike the views are a lot better than through a tour bus's windows.:) Let's do it Eric!
Sonora is low enough and on edge of gold bearing belt that most lands are privately held thus limiting some quality riding opportunities.

·
Banned
441 Posts
Doing a ride in Oct on my way to Az to hook up with another TW rider and set up camp I would love to do a ride in either place. I do have an engagement in Kansas for a military reunion. Hope all things will fall together.

Missing Moab? Was wanting to turn around on the way home. Moab has it's tenacles deep in me. Will be back.
1548256_10201998368512869_2077621178_o.jpg I am going to bring my DR 650 so we can do some street riding.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Auburn has access to Western Trail system but those river canyons are steep with occasional ticks, poison oak and rattlers. Hot this time of year too. However higher up one can avoid a lot of those annoyances. Google Teva Trail also. These are trans-sierra routes for 100 mile horse and foot races on single tracks.
After summer crowds dissipate a group ride through Yosemite could be fantastic. Far too many folks I have encountered have never visited this national treasure, and from a bike the views are a lot better than through a tour bus's windows.:) Let's do it Eric!
Sonora is low enough and on edge of gold bearing belt that most lands are privately held thus limiting some quality riding opportunities.
done. I saw a face look post of a AMA sponsored Yosemite ride in Sept but I bet we could do our own once schools are in session

·
Registered
796 Posts
Schools in these parts already firing up! Labor Day around the corner. Big hassle might be fire! Govt likes to close down burnt areas for erosion etc. I ponder staying out Tioga pass and riding back through Yosemite. I agree Yosemite is best viewed from a momo. I've stayed at a bad ass campground surrounded by FS roads right near the park for music feasts (Strawberry) . Perhaps rather than arduous planning, someone could post stops etc on a trip already in motion with an open invite for friends to show up as they can. Certainly the Russfest put on by Mel would be a good rally point. I'm still on a long path of recovery but riding the BMW more and more. Expect to be TW safe by October. So far kept my license and switching pain Meds should yield positive results. I've been learning first hand the import of "living life now" rather than putting it off.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
done. I saw a face look post of a AMA sponsored Yosemite ride in Sept but I bet we could do our own once schools are in session
Personally I am not into sponsored rides. Pay money to ride when we do quite well with our group of TW's. Love riding with folks with like bikes. Riding with a bunch of dirt squirters is not my idea of a good time.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truth be told I too would avoid the AMA ride. Am happy to share a few rides with fellow TW Forum members I have come to know and respect, especially at Moab. Otherwise I'm a bit of a loner and like to set my own pace.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Folks will recall I sucked a valve down along the Colorado. With busted Betty loaded on my hitch carrier I was ready to head home early with my tail between my legs.:(

However Forum member Borneo to the rescue! He loaned me his TW for a nice final solo ride. What a guy! He didn't even complain ( much) about the fresh desert salad I managed to stuff inside his left turn signal lens.:rolleyes:
Here is my favorite video commemorating the generosity seem between members here.

Of note is Mel also loaned me his spare bike another day so I could tag along a group ride. Another stellar Member! Thanks again Mel!

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
March 30th through April 7th are the nominal dates proposed by GHDave. Try to plan accordingly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts