TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my ricochet skid plate in the mail. I don't love the bright silver color and I've heard they add a lot of sound, so I've been thinking about plasti-dipping it to a color that matches the bike a little better, and also to reduce the sound. I don't know if I should use some plasti dip alternative (like rhino liner) or if this is all some terrible idea because the heat will make it peel off and catch fire.

Anyways looking forward to advice and stories.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have used it on car wheels and it held up really well. I’m not sure rocks bouncing off of a skid plate would be kind to it though.

·
Registered
2021 TW
186 Posts
I tried 3M pro rubber undercoating in a spray can. Just on the engine facing side. Did several coats after a couple days drying time between.Seems to be fairly durable.It helped some with the resonating noise I think you would call it. Engine heat and oil hasnt bothered it so far.
Never thought about plasti -dip that sounds like a good idea. I did consider the sticky back sound deadening material like they use in sound systems or exhaust etc. But didnt think it would hold up and trap mud,rocks etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always hit up my skid plates with bedliner. Works well at deadening the sound plus it is fuel and oil resistant.

·
Registered
180 Posts
One of my winter thoughts/plans is to attach a sheet of HDPE or UHMW to the bottom of my Ricochet. I don't think I'd bother to follow all the side bends, just wrap around the central section front-to-back. While flat-head countersunk screws would work, it requires accurate drilling, and probably 1/4" material minimum. A solid layer of thin 3M VHB tape just might do the job better, and I can get by with lighter 1/8" material that should be easier to work with.

Fortunately work has a sheet metal bender (brake?) that I can use to fit it to the plate. Just gotta order some material and freeze my co-jones removing the plate from the bike.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One of my winter thoughts/plans is to attach a sheet of HDPE or UHMW to the bottom of my Ricochet. I don't think I'd bother to follow all the side bends, just wrap around the central section front-to-back. While flat-head countersunk screws would work, it requires accurate drilling, and probably 1/4" material minimum. A solid layer of thin 3M VHB tape just might do the job better, and I can get by with lighter 1/8" material that should be easier to work with.

Fortunately work has a sheet metal bender (brake?) that I can use to fit it to the plate. Just gotta order some material and freeze my co-jones removing the plate from the bike.

Rivets would be another option of attaching.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone, I did the plastidip, it came out well and I'm happy with the colors, I got the blue hand guards because they were $20 cheaper and i figured if I was plastidipping I might as well. I do sort of wish I had gone for a sand color to match the bike a bit more uniquely but I had to special order it. I don't know if the plastidip dampened the sound at all or not because I never tried the TW with the skidplate on without plastidip, but it defintiely makes it louder. Especially in 2nd going up a hill. Hope this helps anyone trying to make the same decision in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The thing I've discovered with spray Plasti-Dip is to apply lots of very thin coats. The more coats you have, the easier it will be later to remove. Too thin and it tears easy. Thick, it comes off like a bad sunburn. Ha!
I think I'll give undercoat/bedliner paint a try. The rubber washers arrived in the mail yesterday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
new rider but did a stupid amount of background on motorcycles then tw200's before i bought one. thats where/when i decided to get a ricochet skid plate (to save the apparently vulnerable engine case) and then figure out a way to ameliorate its reported sound reflecting tendencies (to save my apparently vulnerable ears.)

i put the ricochet plate on as well but before it went on i sprayed a whole can of rubber undercoating (took several days since i sprayed VERY thin coats) on the top of the plate. i wrapped the edge in tape so the coating would stay only on the upper surface and not the thin sides of the plate. then i mounted it with rubber washers on all four bolts.

then i tipped it up on its back wheel and walloped it several times with a sledgehammer to make sure it would hold. it did. squished the washers a bit but theyre easy to replace.

i dont have a lot of experience with my new motorcycle so im not entirely sure that its louder than it was with the old skid plate, but to my ears i dont think it is. i even put the old plate back on for a test. the decibel monitor on my phone says its the same when i hold it where my head would be.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
the decibel monitor on my phone says its the same when i hold it where my head would be.
Not sure how your head got detached, but I hope you can find and reattach it and go for a ride.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the plastidip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts