TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going out to ogle the fast stuff on the dry lake, but tons of good local riding.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dang, thanks for the torment ! I would love to bring the TW's down there and explore.

And I have a heavy old air-cooled pushrod motor powered scoot I would love to take down the strip . . .

Sigh, maybe next year.

Bag

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on down.

We could enter a TW. I think it would be competitive in the Non-powered Yardtool Class. If they had a Non-powered Yardtool Class

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I might be up for it but I've been sick on and off for the past 5 weeks and my good old DR200 needs some rear suspension work - which I haven't had time or money to get to in a while.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good. Since you won't be using your bike that day do you mind if we kinda strip it down and ride it "gently" for about 1.3 miles?

We promise to return all the useable parts on Monday.

Seriously, every year these meets catch me by surprise even though I'm local. Every year we go I buy a rulebook and every year I kick myself for not slapping a TW together and at least making a few rookie license runs. This is the only form of racing I've ever been around in which the racers will actually tell you how you can beat their own records just to get you out there. Best gearhead atmosphere I've ever encountered.

Ain't cheap, though most of the expenses are one-time-only. Still, it's got the cost of campaigning a Baja bike for a day beat by about $10K.

Let's see....Purple weighs 110 lbs... the rear wheel would have to go byebye and Modified allows 5.2 inches of extra swingarm length...Jimby went 74.318MPH in NZ....

Quick! Pass the hat. There's an August meet, and if we don't feed the dog for a few months we could buy a used set of legal leathers....

http://tw200forum.com/forums/65232/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got any old DT tanks laying around?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And here I mistook you for a sensible dood. Glad to see that you're completely insane. I like that in a person.

JATO! JATO! JATO!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I only pretend to be sane to humor the doctors.

Bullspit I like you! We must be seeing the same docks. OK Liz im in for the run, lets put together a bike and you ride im 245# and would only slow things down. What do we need????? Phase 1 1000 miles in 24 hours, Phase 2 land speed record........lets GO!!!!! Phase 3 God only knows.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Instigator.

Aight. Given that we have to run in the 250 class where the records are all in the 120's our only hope is to try and build a "world's fastest stock-motored TW". Near as I can tell Jimby's 74.318 on the salt in in Oz is the only standard we can gauge this by. Quite a few modern 50cc bikes are faster and their motors more sophisticated than our 200's so it's kinda like bringing a knife to a gunfight, but it would be a blast.

First of all you gotta commit to running Production or Modified. If you run Production you have to run all the body panels, suspension components, lighting, fenders, swingarm length, footpeg placement etc. that the bike was born with. Passenger pegs, mirrors and a few other things can be removed but there's not much opportunity for weight reduction or aero. Oddly you can go hog wild with engine mods including building the motor up to the 250cc limit in either class, but costs would go through the roof. See "knife to a gunfight".

I may be wrong, but with a stock motor I doubt we'd even see 70mph in Production. Even if we did the prospect of piloting this platform anywhere near 80 miles an hour don't trip my trigger. But it's the cheapest route.

Modified allows a longer wheelbase, rearsets, lowering, running rigid in the rear, fenderless up front, etc. Basically a frame, motor, tank and a seat with most other things kinda optional. Body panels and stuff are optional but as long as they were stock on the original bike you can run them selectively. If it turns out that the stock front fairing makes it cheat the wind better you can run it without moving up to the Partially Streamlined class, for example. You don't even need a front brake and the entire front end can be changed to something lighter, if desired. I figger our best chance to get any speed with a stock motor is to run Modified. Jimby's bike would probably qualify under SCTA's modified rules.

Either class allows you to change the tank as long as it's a minimum of 1.3 gallons.

There are probably other folks better versed in SCTA-speak than I and I hope they'll correct me if I'm wrong on this stuff. It's been awhile since I've read the rules, but here's what I think we'd need, bikewise. Big ticket items first:

1. Steering damper. This item is always priced 10 times more (hundreds of dollars) than is justified by it's mechanical sophistication, but you gotta have one on anything with 2 wheels. Stock Gixxer hydraulic dampers can be bought for 25 bucks on eBay, but the rules are kinda unclear to me in terms of their acceptability. You can change their firmness with oil weights but they're not adjustable on the fly. The steering stops have to be welded or relocated to allow only 30 degrees movement lock-to-lock. You can't use the damper as a steering stop. So the cost is either $25 or $500. Clear as mud.

2. Rear rim. Aside from being a power robbing pig, our rear rim and tire size may or may not be legal. Minimum rim size appears to be 15" in Modified. We may or may not be able to run a 14 in Production. Kinda foggy. I haven't found a stock 17-19 inch, 32-hole Honda rim wide enough to at least match the width of the front yet. Couple hundred bucks for an aftermarket rim, but I can lace it myself.

3. Swingarm. Modified allows up to 10 percent of the bike's original wheelbase (52 inches) in swingarm extension. It also allows us to run a rigid strut and ditch the weight of the shock. Fortunately we know a swingarm feller....

Modified = simpler, lighter, faster, better handling stock-motored bike, but somewhat more expense. The rest is all details like exhaust, safety wiring, pods or stacks, jetting, race rubber, smaller tank, gearing, cheap roller chain, metal tire valve caps, etc. in accord with the rules. The basic bike could be done inside of a week. Mostly sweat-equity.

Personally, I'd like to RIDE the thing there, run it then ride it the 30-odd miles back home when I'm done, like it was done back in the day. Couple of squid lights and a plate on the back oughta accomplish that.

Just a matter of giggles-per-dollar and whether or not you think it's worth it.

We're skrewt cuz between us we already have most of the ingredients. lol.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bullspit I like you! We must be seeing the same docks. OK Liz im in for the run, lets put together a bike and you ride im 245# and would only slow things down. What do we need????? Phase 1 1000 miles in 24 hours, Phase 2 land speed record........lets GO!!!!! Phase 3 God only knows.

Ronnydog

Doctors are the same all over, they get grumpy if you tell them the truth!

You know you are my inspiration. That picture of you hauling a deer on your TW made me sure it was the bike for me!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A couple of days ago it was 114 and clear, now it's 85 and monsoony, so there's a slight possibility the meet could be cancelled. This site has a man at the dry lake, so if you're not local and planning to make the drive up you may want to keep tabs on the status:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11512.0.html

The ultimate and official status for Sunday will be posted here. Saturday is tech inspection and a great time to just check out the machinery:

http://www.scta-bni.org/

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today was tech inspection. We spent most of the day clearing up some questions about the rules and attempting to get a waiver to run Production with a 14 inch rear rim.

No joy. So any potential "World's fastest TW" is gunna have to run in Modified on a tall, skinny rear tire.

We didn't get many pics today, but there was a lot of interesting small-displacement stuff going through tech. We'll get more tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since Baja's on the back burner for now, The Mistress of Finance has authorized limited funds for a run at "World's Fastest TW" in September.

The TW motor will never be competitive in the 250 class no matter how much we build or spend on it, but the frame weighs 20 pounds and will accept a number of more interesting powerplants down the road. Under the rules if we build it as a modified frame right from the git we can put any engine we want to in the frame later, so long as it was made by Yamaha.

Oddly, it's as good a starting point as any. I already have a lot of the basic ingredients and the frame and motor are payed for. We live exactly 28 miles to the front gate of El Mirage so we'll actually have the opportunity to get some use out of it without breaking the bank.

Prolly won't look much like a TW when we're done, partly due to the rules, partly due to the realities associated with running things like clip-on bars. I don't know how happy TW-dom will be with that, but they won't let us run a 14 inch rear, so since they're gunna make us relace regardless we may as well go tall and skinny for more speed.

Could you guys live with the claim of "World's Fastest TW" if the bike were a cross between THIS (the Kellas bike, and I suppose the current holder of the dubious "World's Fastest TW" title) The bike would qualify as a Modified if here in the States:

And THIS (Lancespeed's just-for-giggles, low-rent CT3. Only ran 66 its first outting, ran 83 last weekend, up from 74 in three passes and some tweeking. These guys are having a blast going slow and we just like 'em.):

Initially it would run a stock TW motor just while we get our SCTA rookie runs over with. With any luck we'll conquer "World's Fastest TW" as a side benefit of that process before moving up.

What I'm seeing is basically a slammed version of the Kellas bike with a rigid strut, 5-over swingarm stretch (max permitted by the rules is 10% of original wheelbase), 70's DT or RD style tank like Kellas's (for weight and for clip-on clearance, also to keep it looking Yamaha-ish), steering stabilizer (rules), steering stops reworked to limit steering to 30 degrees (rules), 4-6" less front fork tube, high pipe and megaphone, 2.15x18 rear rim (rules), no front brake (allowed), metal chainguard (rules) 6 oz. poor excuse for a seat of some kind, some rendition of the old Yamaha "dashes" paint scheme (personal preference, I always dug those bikes. Prolly in yellow/white/black), rejetted and perfectly tuned stock TW motor. Done.

Fairly cheap fun at first, able to move up to more serious power later.

Anyway, that's the plan. Whatchathink?

And yes, as usual Ronniedog's fingerprints are all over this. Freakin' instigator.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
F-ing flying pig marvelous! this is really cafe racer cool to vicariously cruise. thanks for the show.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts